Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central California Toplef10Hello from Central California 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central California I22gcj10Hello from Central California 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Central California Toplef10Hello from Central California 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Central California I22gcj10Hello from Central California 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Central California

+4
Goosegirl
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Lindacol
spoolnaround
8 posters

Go down

Hello from Central California Empty Hello from Central California

Post  spoolnaround 2/1/2013, 3:53 pm

Hi all new to the garden thing. My daughter has opened my eyes to a garden, she loves it and it allows me to spend good quality time with her. I am here to get some tips and help on growing my own foods as I have discovered the flavor of home grown foods to be much better. I am from the Fresno Ca area so we have a good growing season. I think my zone is 9b. Anyone else in the area? If so what are your favorite veggies to grow? I wish I had more room so I could grow some fruits and nuts as well. The area I have is only about 200 square feet unless I use the north side of my house which is in the shade always (any suggestions?). Last year I attempted to grow tomatoes, squash, green beans, bell peppers and jalapenos. I unfortunately have a small brown varmint and a large black varmint (one is a Dachshound and the other is a Lab/Aussie mix) that eat most of what I plant, I will attempt to fix that this year. Anyway any info/advice is greatly appreciated on my part. Have a great day all.
spoolnaround
spoolnaround

Back to top Go down

Hello from Central California Empty Re: Hello from Central California

Post  Lindacol 2/1/2013, 4:41 pm

spoolnaround wrote:Hi all new to the garden thing. My daughter has opened my eyes to a garden, she loves it and it allows me to spend good quality time with her. I am here to get some tips and help on growing my own foods as I have discovered the flavor of home grown foods to be much better. I am from the Fresno Ca area so we have a good growing season. I think my zone is 9b. Anyone else in the area? If so what are your favorite veggies to grow? I wish I had more room so I could grow some fruits and nuts as well. The area I have is only about 200 square feet unless I use the north side of my house which is in the shade always (any suggestions?). Last year I attempted to grow tomatoes, squash, green beans, bell peppers and jalapenos. I unfortunately have a small brown varmint and a large black varmint (one is a Dachshound and the other is a Lab/Aussie mix) that eat most of what I plant, I will attempt to fix that this year. Anyway any info/advice is greatly appreciated on my part. Have a great day all.

welcome Check our the regional forum for your area. There is lots of good info:
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/f13-northern-california-coastal-valleys

I have a couple of very big dogs that I have to fence out of my garden. For your smaller dogs you might want to consider tabletop beds. Tabletops are also so much easier on your back and knees. Use the search function on either the top or bottom of the page on the left side. If you have gophers in your area be sure to put wire an the bottom - before starting with squarefoot gardening gophers destroyed nearly everything I planted.

I am in so CA, zone 9b so similar to your area. I am starting some seeds inside today: tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers celery, chard and maybe some lettuce. I have lettuce, garlic, broccoli & spinach, growing in the garden now - they all survived the freeze we had a couple of weeks ago. And have just planted beans(maybe too early but am using up some old seed - plus I do have a volunteer bean already coming up), radishes, carrots, & lettuce. I have a couple of bunches of onion plants ordered that I will be planting ASAP.

Linda
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/1/2013, 6:16 pm

Welcome, I'm a rookie too. This is my second year gardening.

I'm right up the foothills from you up the 180 in Squaw Valley. We are colder than you are, this winter we've gotten down to the very low 20s, usually 5 or 6 degrees warmer.

I grew all winter long using my table tops, a large temporary greenhouse over a 5 x 10 bed and some mini greenhouse toppers that fit them with Christmas light strings to keep them warmer. We have had to cover them with an additional tarp about 25-35% of the time but haven't lost anything.

I'm giving a go with straw bale gardening this year for my space eating, monster plants such as melons, tomatoes and squash. I live on 5 acres, so I'm blessed with much more space than I could ever use, wish I could loan you some, LOL!
Audrey

I just uploaded pictures to my album, I think you can see them there? I'm not sure as this is all new to me!

TABLE TOPS:
Hello from Central California Feb-2010
Hello from Central California Feb-2011

STRAW BALE GARDENS:
Hello from Central California Feb-2013
Hello from Central California Feb-2012
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 2/1/2013, 6:37 pm

welcome spoolnaround!

I know what kind of heat you can get there in Fresno, so if you want to expand into that north side that has much more shade, you may be able to try some lettuces, radishes, and such that could use the cooler area. Keeping those out of your direct sun areas will give you more sunny space for warm weather crops that LOVE the plant version of tanning!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 2/2/2013, 2:06 am

Welcome to the Forum!!! Happy to see a new face here!! I think GG is right on with your north side!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  spoolnaround 2/12/2013, 11:46 pm

Thank you all for the input. My daughter has gone crazy! Her moms x-father in law has let her plant what ever she wants on his property, appx 1/2 acre of space she can plant What a Face She is planning on a little road side stand with her brother. I have started from seed Chadwick Cherry Tomato, Nebraska Wedding Tomato, Pink Berkeley Tomato, Beauty King Tomato, Tomato Super Sioux, Roma Tomato (yes I know way to many variety's), Summer Crookneck, Black Beauty squash, Boston Pickling Cucumber, Anaheim Pepper, Serrano Pepper, Jalapeno Pepper and Ghost Pepper. We need to figure out what onions to plant and we have some cilantro. I hope we have enough room to plant all the tomato with out crossing them. I think I will plant the Chadwick and Pink Berkeley at my house on opposite sides of the yard. Her plan is to make some $$ to help with college next semester (I love this kid!).

So how far do the tomato's really need to be from each other to prevent crossing them? The squash? I would like to harvest seed for next year too. Thanks all and well back to studying Smile
spoolnaround
spoolnaround

Back to top Go down

Post  spoolnaround 2/12/2013, 11:49 pm

I do still plan a square foot type garden here at the house with the tomato, squash, cilantro, cucumbers and some peppers. I would like to find some different stuff too.
spoolnaround
spoolnaround

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/13/2013, 12:30 am

Too much of a rookie to be any help for you on the technical questions, sorry! Have you planted anything yet or are you in planning mode?

I'm about 2/3 planted, waiting for late March for the rest. We can still get frost until then.

Your daughter sounds like a great kid, how old is she?
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 2/13/2013, 11:27 am

[quote="spoolnaround"
So how far do the tomato's really need to be from each other to prevent crossing them? The squash? I would like to harvest seed for next year too. Thanks all and well back to studying Smile[/quote]

Here is an old thread where seed saving from tomatoes is discussed. https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8557-seed-saving

You can do searches in the site or through google on the left at the top and bottom of the topic list.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 2/13/2013, 11:53 am

Just one little thought in agreement with GG.. In the heat of the summer the north side of your place will be in sun, because the sun when it is straight up shines on everything.
You certainly sound excited Very Happy
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 2/13/2013, 5:49 pm

Hi! I'm a long time lurker here who has never posted. I too live in Fresno. You are welcome to come over sometime and see my sq foot garden. I converted it to sq foot last year. Funny about the road side stand - my 8 yo son wants to do the same thing. I don't get quite as many tomatoes with sq foot though because I prune so not enough to sell after consuming tons and giving to family. And for some reason my zucchini failed last year due to powdery mildew. I have a ton of seeds if you want to have any (many many varieties of winter squashes, tomatoes, broccoli, etc). I get my onion sets from the guy at the vineyard farmers market. He also sells lots of other seedlings like lettuce, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower (and warm weather ones when it is time) but i grow everything from seed except the onions.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down