Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Toplef10Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 I22gcj10Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Toplef10Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 I22gcj10Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse!

+13
stripesmom
No_Such_Reality
fiddleman
ericam
CindiLou
camprn
JeanneRamick
oldgrayfox
Kelejan
Lindacol
Triciasgarden
CapeCoddess
cheyannarach
17 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Empty Re: Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse!

Post  No_Such_Reality 1/2/2013, 6:52 pm

CindiLou wrote: rofl ..the hangers is what convinced the hubby that he needed to get the rack finished! I haven't use the other attachments yet. I have the mini ravioli one that looks interesting.

Was looking at dehydrators online. I think I will be getting a new one soon. I want some square trays, not round.

Mini ravioli? How large? My 2 year old will only it the toddler pasta pick-ups by gerber. Turns his nose up at anything bigger. I estimate the Gerber stuff is 1/2x 3/4".

We have the pasta attachment for the kitchen aid stand mixer but need a ravioli press. We picked up one of the rolling pins but it's too big.

For dehydrators, we have a Nesco FD-80 Square. It works great and you can get extra trays which you just stack.

Dried tomato slices are good, much like sun-dried tomatoes. Veggie chips aren't quite right yet. Need more experimentation. Not 'chippy' enough flavor.

Beef jerky is superb but I don't make it often as I tend to eat it all over the next week. I process about 4 lbs at a time turns into a good gallon plastic bag of jerky. Much like a good brisket, cut across the grain on Jerky. If you don't you'll rip your teeth out.

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Empty Re: Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse!

Post  cheyannarach 1/2/2013, 10:44 pm

I have another batch in right now, bananas, strawberries, apples, and a fruit leather. I really need to get my hands on a jerky gun so I can make the ground beef jerky, I heard it's much more tender than the sliced beef jerky!

And for ravioli, I don't have an attachment I just roll out a sheet and place filling so far apart over half the sheet, then rub water with my finger between the seems, fold over with the other half of the pasta sheet, and cut with a pizza roller. You could make any size you want that way!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 1/3/2013, 1:33 am

camprn wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Video not available in my country (Canada) Sad

Oh dear! Did you try it at the Youtube site?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wLCmxKs4oXU
Just tried it, it says the same thing, video not available on your country. Sad
But thanks for trying, camprn. Smile
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 1/3/2013, 10:42 am

No_Such_Reality wrote:

Mini ravioli? How large? My 2 year old will only it the toddler pasta pick-ups by gerber. Turns his nose up at anything bigger. I estimate the Gerber stuff is 1/2x 3/4".

The best I can figure would be less than an inch. I haven't made any yet to measure. Might be a good afternoon thing to do today lol..

The raviolini attachment has the white part measuring 5" and there are 4 sections in it with a little space in between each.

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Raviol10

Showed hubby the Alton Brown Blowhard 5000..thought he would die laughing! He says no reason it wouldn't work...has the airflow!

CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 1/3/2013, 7:07 pm

Look up dehydrate2store on youtube for a lot of great video's and tips on dehydrating. She got me so excited about it, I had to buy an Excalibur. It took me 2 years, but I finally got one this past summer. In the summer, it was going almost daily. I've started to store my food using my food saver with an oxygen pack in it, then store that in mylar bags. They say, it will last up to 25 years that way.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 1/3/2013, 10:35 pm

Oh that sounds like fun, I will deffinately look up some videos!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 1/4/2013, 12:20 pm

Oh gosh, all of you are so amazing with what you have done! I just love all the pictures and stories! I love the granola recipe Ericam and will be copying it!

Stripesmom, that sounds amazing storing things for 25 years! What are you able to store? I just wouldn't have known that you could store dried food for that long!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/4/2013, 1:37 pm

after reading thru drooling ....i want beef jerky for breakfast hungry

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Empty Love my smoke but....

Post  daryl.weaver 1/4/2013, 2:33 pm

I have an electric smoker that works great. I keep it stored it the garage and only dig it out a couple of times a year for a number of reasons: 1) It's a pain in the arse to clean. I'm not willing to store it without thoroughly scrubbing it out. Secondly, since it's so much trouble, I feel like I need to "get my time and money's worth" when I do you it, so I load it to the gills. This of course means we eat all things smoked for days on end until we are generally sick of it and have smoke coming out of our hair and pores. That being said, I do have some favorites. I love doing pork tenderloins...usually 5-10 at time. They only take about 2 hours to smoke because they are small. I smoked several along with our Thanksgiving turkey, and my mom-in-law froze them to serve at Christmas. They warmed up every bit as moist as the day they came off the smoke! People raved about them. I also like doing a nice port butt/shoulder. Since the kids are off at school, it's just the wife and me, so I pull the pork and store enough for 2-3 barbecue sandwiches in those air-tight Seal-a-meal pouches. When we don't feel like cooking, we can simply drop the bag in boiling water or 7-10 minutes and Viola! Dinner is served.
daryl.weaver
daryl.weaver

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 Empty One other smoker idea...

Post  daryl.weaver 1/4/2013, 2:50 pm

For Thanksgiving I brined a turkey breast. It was [url]Ree Drumman's brine recipe[/url], but I smoked it instead of baking. I made a Mediteranian spice rub of salt, pepper, cumin, corriander, cinnamon...basically all the "C's" in your spice rack as Rachael Ray would say. It was absolutely delicious....best Thanksgiving turkey I've ever had, and was still MOIST a week later when we finished it off with turkey/apple/avocado BTL's! Try it. You'll love it, and I highly recommend brining for any lean meat.
daryl.weaver
daryl.weaver

Male Posts : 104

Back to top Go down

Post  stripesmom 1/4/2013, 3:02 pm

Triciasgarden, take a look at
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVpIHre2ao
I think this is her first video on dehydrating. Food has to be dehydrated, then using a food saver (or any other product that will seal food) you put an oxygen pack in the package, draw out the air, seal it, put that in a mylar bag, seal that and store it in a plastic bucket or box so it is dry, dark and the temperature should be steady, around 50-70 degrees. I put it in my basement. I barely started and I will say, you can really store a lot of food in a small space. You can store many veg or fruit this way.  There are a lot of possibilities and lots to learn.
stripesmom
stripesmom

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 1/4/2013, 7:49 pm

I had a bumper crop of misc hot peppers, so decided to dehydrate. I dried, then ground up in a coffee grinder, put some in a shaker, for on misc. food. (chili!) I'm the only person here that likes hot food.

Peppers, if they are really hot, should also be dehydrated outside! For the first batch, I wore gloves to wash and cut off the tops. Then I put in dehydrater on the racks on kitchen counter. A couple hrs. later, I couldn't figure out why my eyes were burning!

A smoker makes some good food! It is recommended to cook poultry and turkey before making jerky because of salmonella. Smoke in the smoker, and make jerky out of the leftovers! Hint: You may not have any leftovers!
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2013, 7:59 pm

I just string my hot peppers with a needle and thread and hang them on the porch to dry.

SO this was how I made my soup last night:
Sliced shallots, carrots and garlic (from the garden). A jar of home canned tomato juice, a handfull each of dried summer squash, eggplant, poblano peppers, cherry tomatoes. Less than a TBSP of chicken stock paste, 2 anchovies, 1/4 cup red wine, 3 cups water 1 bay leaf. Simmer for 30 minutes add one can of corn and one can of black beans. Garnish with a few small chunks of Vermont cheddar cheese. Delicious!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  ericam 1/5/2013, 3:02 am

Made a batch of granola yesterday, thought you might like to see the results...

Dehydrator - Need help planning for the zombie apocolypse! - Page 2 991ddc32ec250a6ab0b95e3cb3eabea8
ericam
ericam

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/25/2016, 2:07 pm

Bump. I watched this embedded video and I think it is worth watching for serious electric dehydrating. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxVpIHre2ao

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum