Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW Toplef10Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW I22gcj10Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW Toplef10Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW I22gcj10Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW

+3
Momma Pajama
boffer
Lavender Debs
7 posters

Go down

Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW Empty Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW

Post  Lavender Debs 4/15/2010, 10:16 am

I'm just going to say it.....I have never done asparagus in my garden before. Thought I would give it a try. So, no kidding, there I was...... cruising around Marysville's Sunnyside nursery when I spot potted asparagus plants. I only wanted three roots. I didn't know they came in solid purple so Ray and I snatched up two of them, brought them home and fixed a pretty place for them in the sun, protected from puppy paws. Tipped the first one out of the pot. It had an amazing number of roots for one little asparagus. Had a lot of crowns too. I didn't buy two plants, I bought two dozen! Rookie mistake.

Today is Thursday, April 15, 2010. Around 10:00 I am leaving Everett down the I-5 corridor to Oregon. If you want to meet someplace that is easy along the freeway (like a rest-stop) Please send me a quick note. Otherwise I'm in the purple Asparagus business.

Deborah ....who does love the little buggers but needs some yard for the puppies.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW Empty Re: Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW

Post  boffer 4/15/2010, 10:45 am

I would if I could, but I can't. 😢 Have a safe trip. The weather is ugly down my way.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW Empty Re: Purple Asparagus Roots: Free to good home in PNW

Post  Momma Pajama 4/17/2010, 9:01 pm

Sorry I missed your offer, Deb. I was just about to post about the miserable failure of my asparagus crowns. I bought a paper bag of 10 crowns of those purple asparagus from Sky Nursery last month and planted them. 4 weeks later, NOTHING. I dug around a few to see if anything was happening and they look completely dead and rotting. Evil or Very Mad

This is the second time I've failed at planting asparagus. I tried about 5 years ago in my backyard and got nothing. This year I planted them in the back row of one of my SFG beds, nice soil, weed barrier cloth and all, and failed again.

I think this year I'll just plant other stuff in the row instead but I am curious what the problem is, twice! Maybe next time I'll get potted and growing ones like you, Deb!

It's a good thing that the spinach, bok choy and sweet peas are up to encourage me this week or I'd be feeling my green thumb had turned brown!
Momma Pajama
Momma Pajama

Female Posts : 58

http://momma-pajama.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 4/18/2010, 4:09 am

Asparagus is one that I have to confess I'm spoiled rotten on. Asparagus is a huge crop in the region where I live, and there's an enormous field of it between home and work. They just put up their roadside shack this week, and I bought a kilo of the most gorgeous white asparagus I've ever seen (a little pricey because it's a little early yet, but oh, I can't wait to have it tonight with dinner.)

Later, they'll have green, and after that, I'll get to see that gorgeous field turn into a deep green cloud that turns to golden in the autumn...
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 4/20/2010, 10:30 am

We got back late yesterday afternoon. All is well. The spears in the pots are getting longer, I can now see how many there are. Momma P it isn't too late if you still want them. I have to go to school today (Tuesday, 4/20) and tomorrow to administer achievement tests but anticipate being free during off-peak traffic hours by Thursday. I still have 20 crowns to find homes for.

I goggled (binged?) "planting asparagus" and chose videos. There was a guy from Australia planting in what looked like a stock tank and another of an older guy planting in rows that gave good info. Seems like you want to start deep, in a trench about 10 inches, plant the crown (like strawberries) on a mound of manure-ee compost with the root spread out. Then JUST cover the crown or spear. The older guy advised that the new spear was too weak to push all the way up through deep soil. As the spear grows pull more soil into the trench to just up to the tip. Next year’s crowns will be stronger and come up unaided. He also mentioned that the roots will want to go deep (I think he said 4 to 6 feet?)

Lefee my in-laws used to live by asparagus fields in Prosser, Washington. Amazing views. But that area is so prone to using chemicals that I didn't often go to get asparagus. The Yakama River likes to run a thick pea soup green through town from all the farms in the area. It is a little scary to eat (or drink the milk) from there. You cannot drink tap water without a big filter. If the raw water is boiled you get lots of green strings in your tea. Yuck. I think it is from the dairies in the area but it still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Deborah ....loves that so many farmers are making a commitment to go organic.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  PeggyC 3/9/2011, 11:09 am

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to say thanks for the info about depth. I was considering planting asparagus in a box with a bottom, so that when we move (eventually) I could screw a lid onto it and then move the whole thing. guess not. thanks for saving me lots of research time.
PeggyC
PeggyC

Female Posts : 126

http://www.craftycrofts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sheslostit 3/9/2011, 12:35 pm

hmmm interesting. I started some root crowns last year and got a beautiful new growth which i didn't touch. Yesterday, I was getting my old row garden prepped for SFG (except where the aspargus are) and noted that there was a beautiful purple asparagus growing. thanks for the info. Cant wait to start harvesting, but i know i have to be patient.
sheslostit

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 3/25/2011, 2:00 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:my in-laws used to live by asparagus fields in Prosser, Washington. Amazing views. But that area is so prone to using chemicals that I didn't often go to get asparagus. The Yakama River likes to run a thick pea soup green through town from all the farms in the area. It is a little scary to eat (or drink the milk) from there. You cannot drink tap water without a big filter. If the raw water is boiled you get lots of green strings in your tea. Yuck. I think it is from the dairies in the area but it still gives me the heebie jeebies.

Try living there!! Yuck. I lived there for 6 years... the water is re-claimed... meaning used dirty water that is treated several times before going to your kitchen sink. Gross. I went from amazing water to having to get bottled water, a filter doesn't even make me want to drink that water.

I wasn't a fan. lol. Saw this post and I had to comment.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down