Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Toplef10Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 I22gcj10Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Toplef10Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 I22gcj10Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Square Foot Hero Gardens

+9
mcartin
walshevak
CaptainKidney
plantoid
Triciasgarden
CharlesB
bnoles
mollyhespra
luckypenne
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Plant Nannies/Your Class Garden

Post  luckypenne 11/2/2012, 9:16 am

Thanks for sharing the watering cone link, Kay ~ the thing I like about the terra cotta cones is that they will not release water if the soil is already saturated, which is a great complement to the vermiculite. Plus, I like the look of wine bottles over plastic soda bottles, and I always find friends willing to donate a pretty bottle once they see the garden.

mcartin & jjohansson: Are these photos of one and the same "class garden"? Tell us more Smile
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

https://facebook.com/SowSeedsofLove

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Our class garden

Post  jjohansson 11/4/2012, 7:12 pm

We have three class gardens at our school. We are going through the online instructors course and were experimenting with the forum. We are getting some great ideas for future gardens here!
jjohansson
jjohansson

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Square foot hero garden

Post  binfordmj 11/6/2012, 8:01 am

I am concerned about the water getting too hot in those bottles during our extreme heat. Would that be hard on the plant roots?

If not, then I would love to get some, use the 2 liter bottles but cut the bottoms out and just fill the bottle with the hose. This would help with the mildew on my squash.

I love this forum! I learn so much from everyone!
binfordmj
binfordmj

Female Posts : 43

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Re: Square Foot Hero Gardens

Post  luckypenne 11/7/2012, 3:28 pm

Awesome, jj ~ have fun with the online course!!

mj-I'm not sure about the bottles conducting too much heat, but I do know that Mel loves sun-warmed H2O and it seems that the terracotta cones would compensate for the temp. Also, I'd be wary of using plastic bottles with the leaching of harmful substances into the garden soil, especially when heated.
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty HAPPY NEW YEAR, Y'ALL!!!

Post  luckypenne 1/13/2013, 12:37 am

I'M BACK!! Took an extended hiatus during the holidays to welcome our newest grandson to the world ~ Lancelot (Lance) Edward Meyer is the firstborn of my firstborn, heralding the arrival of December at home with his mum and dad, and weighing in at a whopping 10 pounds!! Hope you also enjoyed the seasonal festivities surrounded by family & good friends.

What's left of the summer/fall garden was still thriving past the first cold spell (pictured,) but the second finally took its toll on the basil and the Golden Eggplant leaves (though the fruit is still going strong!)
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_0934

Last week it warmed up a bit and things really livened up in a second bed planted by someone experimenting with intensive gardening (thinking it was the Square Foot Method.) There are so many different seeds coming up that it's impossible to separate what's what. This was taken after the second frost when the cold had slowed it down a bit.
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_1135

The gardener's intention was to grow root crops below and a second crop above as ground cover to deter weeds. The soil is primarily mushroom compost, though I did talk them into adding at least one other variety along with peat moss and vermiculite. Anyway, no one's tending it, so this week we got out the scissors and harvested what we thought were turnip greens (or maybe beet tops?)

Someone else thought for sure they were mustard greens (which was the crop planted in the original raised beds a few years back.) That soil was covered with cardboard and the thick plastic liner to eliminate nut grass/toxins from the landscape timbers when we converted to SFG beds this summer. Highly doubt the mustard made it through all that, especially if the nut grass hasn't surfaced!

I've found at least three different types of leaves in the bunch, and as you can see, I could use some help with identification!
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_1643sfgf Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_1642sfgf

The squares were originally marked with plant names on rocks, such as "Broc," which seems straightforward enough, but "Rob" has me stumped. You can also see Kale, Turnips (marker is tucked under one of the grids, and I think the "10" means ten rows,) Red Leaf Lettuce, Okra, and Beets in "6" corners [sic], just to name a few. I believe there are also Pole Beans near the gates. It's a crazy quilt of plantings, to which I added marigolds for color, just to make it look like it belonged in our SFG array!
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_0617 Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_0618 Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_0619

Getting bigger...
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_0930

We added a pepper plant and tomato tree after the initial planting, as well as some flowers, which didn't germinate.

There's no stopping the Rainbow Swiss Chard (which the local critters ignored, though they seemed to adore the brussel sprouts, also planted in the third bed to the right of the photo.) The lettuces were part of the free-for-all in the beginning, but managed to make a comeback undisturbed. Waiting till spring to replant the squares since we don't have covers.
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_0933

Last edited by luckypenne on 1/13/2013, 1:04 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Neglected to use Preview!)
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Mystery Greens

Post  luckypenne 1/13/2013, 1:31 am

Correction: The Okra was planted in "6 corners" [sic] and Beets next to that. Also, the biggest single leaf (far left of trio) has slightly prickly spines. Grew up in the South, but avoided greens like the plague when I was a kid ;-) so thanks in advance for the ID assistance!
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/13/2013, 8:18 am

luckypenne wrote:Someone else thought for sure they were mustard greens (which was the crop planted in the original raised beds a few years back.) ....

I've found at least three different types of leaves in the bunch, and as you can see, I could use some help with identification!
Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_1643sfgf
Broccoli rabe or kale.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 1/13/2013, 1:02 pm

the three leaves all look a bit differnt from one another..... Shocked

i say they are

collard greens, cauliflower, kale

happy gardening
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Mystery Solved ~ Here's to a New Year full of Rainbow Days! :-)

Post  luckypenne 1/14/2013, 12:22 am

Thanks for the replies, y'all ~ I did a google search for images only and from what I've read, the one on left is definitely turnip greens (in the mustard family) and the other two are broccoli "rabe" (rapini) which may be what the rock marker says ("rab" vs. "rob.") Mystery solved!

Meant to add one last snapshot of the Rainbow Swiss Chard to the latest Gratitude Garden update -- think it will work perfectly for this month's avatar theme Very Happy Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 IMG_1578

Btw, does anyone know how to activate our personal photo albums? Still learning my way around the new forum format after the migration thinking Cheers ~

Last edited by luckypenne on 1/14/2013, 12:31 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Formatting/Title Tweak)
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/14/2013, 6:40 am

luckypenne wrote:

Btw, does anyone know how to activate our personal photo albums? Still learning my way around the new forum format after the migration thinking Cheers ~
Go to the gallery tab at the top of the page, the albums are there. Please keep in mind space in the gallery is limited and costly.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Hero Gardens - Page 2 Empty Photo Albums

Post  luckypenne 1/14/2013, 5:49 pm

camprn wrote:
luckypenne wrote:

Go to the gallery tab at the top of the page, the albums are there. Please keep in mind space in the gallery is limited and costly.

Thanks ~ I see the upload button now on the personal and public albums, but get the following message: "You cannot upload any photos to the gallery because the storage limit has been reached." Since I haven't uploaded any photos to either space, this must be referring to the entire forum? Thanks for the advice on limitations and cost, just the same. Perhaps we should consider migrating to Facebook Groups on the next move.

P.S. Love your new avi! Smile
luckypenne
luckypenne

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/14/2013, 6:13 pm

luckypenne wrote:
camprn wrote:
luckypenne wrote:

Thanks ~ I see the upload button now on the personal and public albums, but get the following message: "You cannot upload any photos to the gallery because the storage limit has been reached." Since I haven't uploaded any photos to either space, this must be referring to the entire forum? Thanks for the advice on limitations and cost, just the same. Perhaps we should consider migrating to Facebook Groups on the next move.

P.S. Love your new avi! Smile
You can continue your hero garden thread as your gallery. My guess is the gallery server is full and the SFG Foundation is not buying more space at this time.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2