Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with growing Marigolds from seed Toplef10Help with growing Marigolds from seed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with growing Marigolds from seed I22gcj10Help with growing Marigolds from seed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help with growing Marigolds from seed Toplef10Help with growing Marigolds from seed 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help with growing Marigolds from seed I22gcj10Help with growing Marigolds from seed 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hi from N. Georgia
by Hollysmac Yesterday at 10:43 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac Yesterday at 10:37 pm

» Hi all!
by Olinol101 Yesterday at 8:47 pm

» Golden Beets
by Olinol101 Yesterday at 8:44 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by Olinol101 Yesterday at 8:42 pm

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:08 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:48 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:36 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 7/31/2024, 3:01 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson 7/26/2024, 1:15 pm

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help with growing Marigolds from seed

4 posters

Go down

Help with growing Marigolds from seed Empty Help with growing Marigolds from seed

Post  jenjehle 4/15/2010, 12:17 am

I have decided to start my plants all from seed this year. This is all new to me but so far, the veggies are all looking great.

My problem is my marigolds. I have a dozen or two starts and have only maybe 2 that have done anything!

Here's what I've been doing:

In peat pots, flats with 8 slots each, I put in either Miracle Grow seed starting mix or another organic mix (can't remember the name). Both of these mixes have worked great for my veggies! I add 2-3 marigold seeds in each mix, keep them moist and they are placed in my Parkseed Dome with the heating mat underneath. Nothing. Help with growing Marigolds from seed Icon_sad Two of them have sprouted long, leggy starts that fall over if they get the slightest bit dried out. So the few that have sprouted, don't seem to be worth much.

Any help/suggestions I can get about growing marigolds, would be great. I'm on my second pack of Burpee Marigold seeds. They're cheap, I'll keep trying if I could figure out what I'm doing wrong!?!?! Help with growing Marigolds from seed 601593

Thanks!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Female Posts : 248

http://picasaweb.google.com/107169543203897472824?feat=email

Back to top Go down

Help with growing Marigolds from seed Empty Re: Help with growing Marigolds from seed

Post  Retired Member 1 4/15/2010, 8:52 am

I'm not sure I can be of much help, but I'll try. I grew a flat of half Crackerjack marigolds and half California Giant zinnias from seed in the 72 cell plastic "jiffy greenhouse". I do not use peat pots as they dry out too quickly. I use the plastic 6-cell inserts that used to come with the jiffy greenhouse -- I save them from year to year. Used a general potting mix. I put 2 seeds per cell and had about an 80% germination rate, which meant I had to do a lot of clipping of extra seeds. My house was cold at the time I was germinating (60-65 during the day and 50 at night), so I used a homemade bottom heat device that kept their feet at 75-80. As soon as 1/2 the seeds germinated, I moved them to a window with supplemental grow lights (6500 kelvin). In about a week I took off the plastic cover and kept them watered with a diluted mix of Miracle Grow. Mine didn't get leggy until they were about 5" high and were crowding each other.

If I were to do it now, I would use Mel's mix with extra vermiculite (1 qt. MM to 1 cup V)-- that is working better for me than potting mix.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Help with growing Marigolds from seed Empty Re: Help with growing Marigolds from seed

Post  chocolatepop 4/15/2010, 8:53 am

No input, but I'll be watching this because I have the EXACT same issues....
chocolatepop
chocolatepop

Female Posts : 768

http://chocolatepopsurbangarden.wordpress.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Cornerstone 4/15/2010, 9:25 am

"Long leggy starts" sounds like not enough sunlight (or artificial Light). Could you post a pic of the seedlings and their environment?
Cornerstone
Cornerstone

Male Posts : 31

Back to top Go down

Post  jenjehle 4/15/2010, 10:27 am

Well, I don't have any pics b/c I don't have any starts. I've only had about 2 or 3 even sprout and when they did, they were skiny stalks about 3/4 inch high and did nothing from there.

I was hesitant to take them off the heat and put them under my lights, when only 2 had sprout. I was waiting for more to sprout before moving them to the lights.

Think I'm going to get away from the little peat pots. They do try out awful quick. But when they're in the dome, it stays moist in there with the lid on it and the heat under. So I'm still clueless.

Keep the replies coming!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/15/2010, 2:26 pm

Did you have any mold on the peat pots whilst they were under cover? If so, then it all may have been too wet. I really don't like peat pots as it's near impossible to regulate the moisture of them. They are either soggy or so dry they wick the moisture from the plants.

I move the seedling tray from the heat pad to the lights as soon as I see some babies beginning to germinate. The other alternative is if you are using individual pots would be to move those that germinate into the light.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Help with growing Marigolds from seed Empty Marigold Update :) :) :)

Post  jenjehle 4/15/2010, 5:53 pm

You guys must be good luck for me!!! Guess what happened? My marigolds sprouted! Lately, I haven't had enough room on my heatpad in my dome, so after planting the seeds and moistening the soil, I put them in my oven on cookie sheets (really.... it works great!) with the light on to warm up the oven. It gets to about 80 degrees in there! I opened my oven and there they were!! Not all of them are up but this a is pretty good percentage. I guess they heard me talking about them Help with growing Marigolds from seed Icon_razz Help with growing Marigolds from seed Icon_razz Help with growing Marigolds from seed Icon_razz

Help with growing Marigolds from seed Marigo10

Now my plant would be to
put them under my grow lights. Any thoughts about my plan?

Thanks everyone for your help.
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 4/15/2010, 7:05 pm

Good for you! Help with growing Marigolds from seed Icon_biggrin Never thought about the oven. Although with my luck I'd turn it on forgetting they were in there. Get those babies under grow lights right away and water from the bottom so the peat pots are damp. Those look dried out.

Your plants will be somewhat leggy, but should firm up quickly if they get plenty of light. Depending on your daytime temps, place them outside in a day or two in dappled shade and they should take off like gangbusters. Just remember to bring them in at night.
Retired Member 1

Back to top Go down

Help with growing Marigolds from seed Empty They're alive!!

Post  jenjehle 4/15/2010, 9:43 pm

Oh, Belfrybat... I promise they have been giving a good long drink. I just took that picture immediatley after discovering they sprouted. But as of now, they're basking in the growlights and enjoying the nice moist soil. Now, if they can just get them to survive and thrive in the next couple of weeks, I'll be happy Help with growing Marigolds from seed Icon_surprised

Thanks again for any advice thus far!
jenjehle
jenjehle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down