Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Toplef10Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible I22gcj10Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Toplef10Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible I22gcj10Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible

+4
mollyhespra
camprn
CapeCoddess
llama momma
8 posters

Go down

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Empty Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible

Post  llama momma 10/4/2012, 3:43 pm

In my learning curve I missed where broccs and tomatoes are not good companions. All the broccs were planted the same day. But the ones on the right side are next door to tomatoes and stunningly so much smaller, like half the size of the others.
Or else something weird is going on in the soil on that side? :scratch:
Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Oct_4_10

Here is another view:
Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Oct_4_11
All the broccs on the left side have started little heads, zippo for the ones on the right side.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Empty Re: Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible

Post  CapeCoddess 10/4/2012, 4:17 pm

VERY interesting! Thanks for sharing this.

I noticed that my carrots don't love my tomatoes, even though there's a book saying that they do. *shrug*

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible Empty Re: Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible

Post  camprn 10/4/2012, 4:49 pm

It is quite possible that the tomato roots are infiltrating the same area as the broccoli roots and using the nutrition found there. Have you fed these stunted broccoli plants?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/4/2012, 5:08 pm

All the transplants got fresh compost when I planted on Aug. 18. Then two weeks ago everything got manure tea. I also wondered about the tomato roots that you mentioned. But I thought I ripped most if not all of those out when I planted the broccs. Perhaps all it takes is a few tom roots to wreck the broccs. I think I'll make an aerated souped up compost + worm castings tea tonight and try watering with that tomorrow.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 10/4/2012, 5:11 pm

Weird--how about shade? Are the toms shading those few squares now that the sun is lower in the sky?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/4/2012, 5:13 pm

Thanks but all the toms are on the north side.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 10/4/2012, 7:04 pm

I looked up a "companion guide", and sure enough, they don't like each other. Your garden sure looks like good proof! I'm wondering if you can pull the small broccoli and re plant somewhere else? They look so nice and green, it would be a shame to lose those nice plants.

Here's a link to the guide: http://landshareco.org/got-questions/companion-plants/
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  ryan 10/4/2012, 11:38 pm

That good to know, weird, thanks for posting the picture!
ryan
ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 10/5/2012, 9:45 pm

I pulled up my tomato plants a few weeks ago and found that the roots grew south under the next 2 rows of squares...although the plants in those squares did just fine.
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/5/2012, 10:18 pm

LM, what was planted in the squares the small broc plants are in? Everything I have read says that the broccoli has an effect on tomatoes, not the other way round. Interesting.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pics of Broccs with tomatoes, not compatible WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  landarch 10/6/2012, 12:21 am

could they be getting shaded-out by each successive row of broccoli?
landarch
landarch

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/6/2012, 12:51 am

camprn wrote:LM, what was planted in the squares the small broc plants are in? Everything I have read says that the broccoli has an effect on tomatoes, not the other way round. Interesting.

Camp, that is interesting. Previously those were solid squares of : carrots, basil, lettuce, marigolds, beets.
Today I watered everything by hand with a mix of compost and worm castings. This evening it rained some also. Maybe this will help turn things around.
Landarch: Double checked today and the bigger stuff is not tall enough to shade out the others.
southern gardener: I could move 6 of the 8 affected plants to other open squares. Having fertilized today I am hoping to see a change for the better. If not then I have your option to consider.
Thanks a bunch everyone, I'll post an update.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 10/6/2012, 10:36 am

This is a really interesting question...OK, so what about this hypothesis: broc & toms need a lot of calcium, right? So what about supplementing your feeding with extra calcium? The fertilizer you just added may do the trick, but just in case, is there anything you could add (ground up eggshell tea, maybe) to the soil next to both the brocs and the toms as a backup?

HTH!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/6/2012, 10:57 am

mollyhespra
I put a lot of ground eggshells in with my worms. When I emptied the diluted worm castings and regular compost I noticed the bottom of the container had maybe a couple teaspoons of ground shells. Even though I stirred before filling each cup of solution. Anyway I took the leftover bits and spread it around. I have plenty more fresh ground eggshells on hand too. I could scratch it in around the stunted plants. Thanks a bunch!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 10/6/2012, 11:06 am

llama momma wrote:mollyhespra
I put a lot of ground eggshells in with my worms. When I emptied the diluted worm castings and regular compost I noticed the bottom of the container had maybe a couple teaspoons of ground shells. Even though I stirred before filling each cup of solution. Anyway I took the leftover bits and spread it around. I have plenty more fresh ground eggshells on hand too. I could scratch it in around the stunted plants. Thanks a bunch!

Not just the stunted plants, though...if the toms are stealing nutrients from the broc, then the toms need the nutrients possibly more than the brocs, since the other squares of broc seem to be doing fine.

Keep us posted! I had planned on putting brocs next to toms in next year's garden & now I'm not so sure.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 10/6/2012, 12:10 pm

Yes, I'll go ahead and put some crushed shells around the toms too. Not sure how much good it will do since the plants are past their prime. Still, it might help.

Thought of something else, I called the nursery to see if they sold two varieties of broccs, maybe a plant tag was switched and therefore different plant vigor? They assured me they sold 'premium crop' and nothing else.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 10/6/2012, 12:58 pm

This is what I have used for companion knowledge.

http://www.organicgardening.com/sites/all/themes/zen/og/pdf/companion.pdf

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/hort/info/vegetables/companion.htm

Both suggest an problem regarding cabbage family and tomato.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum