Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Toplef10October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas I22gcj10October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Toplef10October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas I22gcj10October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

+3
audrey.jeanne.roberts
sanderson
PNG_Grandma
7 posters

Go down

October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  PNG_Grandma 10/1/2012, 5:16 pm

CAUTION!! I don't want to shock anyone! Today is the first of the month and I'm actually posting what to plant this month...on the 1st! Shocked

Beetroot (also Beets) Sow in garden.
Harvest from February.

Broad beans (also Fava bean) Sow in garden.
Harvest from March.

Broccoli Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from February.

Cabbage Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from February.

Capsicum(also Bell peppers, Sweet peppers) Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks.
Harvest from February.

Carrot Sow in garden.
Harvest from March.

Cauliflower Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from April.

Chinese cabbage (also Wong bok, wong nga pak)
Sow direct in the garden.
Harvest from February.

Collards (also Collard greens, Borekale) Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks.
Harvest from February.

Daikon (also Japanese radish, Lo Bok) Direct in garden. Harvest from February.

Fennel (also Bronze fennel) Sow in garden.
Harvest from March.

Florence Fennel (also Finocchio) Sow in garden.
Harvest from March.

French tarragon Plant cuttings or root division.
Harvest from January.

Horseradish Plant root pieces.
Harvest from April.

Kale (also Borecole)
Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks.
Harvest from February.

Kohlrabi Sow in garden.
Harvest from February.

Lettuce Sow in garden, or start in seed trays and plant out in 4-6 weeks..
Harvest from February.

Mustard greens (also gai choy)
Sow in garden.
Harvest from January.

Onion Grow in seed trays, and plant out in 4-6 weeks. Harvest from June.

Parsley (also curly leaf parsley or flat leaf (Italian) parsley)
Sow in garden.
Harvest from February.

Potato Plant tuber.
Harvest from April.

Radish Sow in garden.
Harvest from January.

Rocket (also Arugula/Rucola) Sow in garden.
Harvest from January.

Rosemary Plant cuttings
Harvest from 12 months.

Shallots (also Eschalots) Plant small bulblets, with stem just showing above ground.
Harvest from March.

Snow Peas (also Sugar Peas, Mangetout, Chinese Peas)
Sow in garden.
Harvest from March.

Strawberry Plants Plant with crown (of roots) just covered.. Harvest from March.

Thyme (also Common thyme) Grow in seed trays and plant out 6-8 weeks.
Harvest from October.

Turnip Sow in garden.
Harvest from January.

There ya go! Lots to think about, lots to plant... let's get growing!
happy hi
PNG_Grandma
PNG_Grandma

Female Posts : 297
Location : Modesto CA, Central Valley, USDA Zone 9b, Sunset 14, AHS Heat Zone 8, whew!

Back to top Go down

October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Re: October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  sanderson 10/3/2013, 11:00 pm

Bump
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Empty Re: October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas

Post  sanderson 10/3/2014, 2:39 am

Bump.

Well, on Sept 30, I posted what to plant in September and no one caught it!   Embarassed  I deleted it.  This list of veggies makes a little more sense on what to plant in October! Smile

I found this article while browsing tonight:
http://ucanr.edu/sites/MarinMG/Marin_Master_Gardener_Help_Desk/Leaflet/What_to_plant_and_harvest_in_the_winter_vegetable_garden/

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/3/2015, 2:50 am

Bump. I'm putting in chard, curly and Russian kale, green cabbage, red onions, bok choy, garlic, carrots and snow peas.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 10/3/2015, 12:13 pm

Thank you for the reminder, I forgot the Bok Choy and cabbage.  I will carefully and gingerly (with my bad back at the moment) go plant some this afternoon  Very Happy
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/5/2015, 2:58 am

Finally got the 3 types of kale, Swiss chard, cabbages and snow peas planted today. I love having grids and making it so easy to plant! I have to get the tulle over the TTs before we head out to keep the white butterfly off the greens.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/1/2016, 1:46 am

Bump

We are fortunate to be able to grow something year around. Hopefully your fall starts and garlic are planted or will be planted shortly. Consider bridal tulle or similar netting to keep the white butterfly off the brassicas/cabbage family plants. The leaves have not changed but the next 10 days will be cool or delightful for working outside. Lay compost and wood chips in the flower beds, deadhead late blooming roses, set out winter snap dragons and pansies for winter color. Clean and store equipment. Shop for end of season garden sales. Update your notes on successes and failures in the summer garden and what changes you will make next year.

Here is the link for Home Depot tips in the Fresno area. http://gardenclub.homedepot.com/regional-gardening-tips/northern-california-coastal-and-inland-valleys/

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2017, 3:38 am

Bump

California is finally cooling off. This is the perfect weather for working in the gardening, cleaning, amending and planting cool winter crops. Well, Riverside in SoCal is still a little hot, but at least below 100*F. Wink At Joann's Fabrics, 108" bridal tulle, for protecting against the white butterflies/moths, is $1.79 a yard with coupon. This should be a good time to hit the nurseries for end-of-the-season garden must-haves. The leaves in central California are still green but it's a good time to prepare for collecting, mowing and storing the leaves for compost. Anyone planning to buy seeds from Baker Creek will be helping hurricane victims if they order now. Friday, October 6, is the last day for your order to count in this effort.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/2/2017, 12:32 pm

I'm off to plant sugar snap peas right now. hyper
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/2/2017, 4:02 pm

Thank you for reminding about the peas.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/7/2018, 4:52 pm

October is well under way and I'm just now posting for this month! Embarassed October is generally a wonderful month for working outside in California.  All of the winter crops should be in the beds, except for maybe soft neck garlic in the medium and short day zones.

My peas and radishes are up as well as little seedlings of colorful Swiss chard, broccoli, kale, a few of the baby bok choy and salad bar lettuces.  I didn't pre-spout the carrot seeds so they won't be up for a couple more weeks.

How are all of you doing in your gardens. Are you growing something new this winter?

October 3 peas: October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Peas_a11

October 7 peas: October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Peas_a12

Garden - October 1 after the rain. October: What to plant in Northern California and Central Valley areas Garden27

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/1/2019, 9:28 am

Bump! weeee

Just waiting for the sun to come up so I can re-evaluate and grab a new avatar. reading

I have 2 flats of seedlings to plant out in the new boxes. I also started peas inside to give them a head start against the rollies and slugs.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/4/2019, 3:20 pm

Thank you for bumping this thread, CN.

October is such a nice month for California gardeners. Sun shade can come down, winter crops can be planted or sowed. 'Tis the time to get your garlic planted, short-day, soft necks for southern and central California folks, long-day, hard neck for northern California folks. Peas, Swiss chard, kale, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, radishes, parsnips, beets.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/4/2019, 3:44 pm

sanderson wrote:Thank you for bumping this thread, CN.

October is such a nice month for California gardeners.  Sun shade can come down, winter crops can be planted or sowed.  'Tis the time to get your garlic planted, short-day, soft necks for southern and central California folks, long-day, hard neck for northern California folks.  Peas, Swiss chard, kale, bok choy, broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, lettuce, carrots, radishes, parsnips, beets.
My peas are sprouting. Kale is well-established. Lettuce is ready to harvest. Carrots and radishes are about 2" high. Broccoli, cauliflower, & Brussels Sprouts have been transplanted into the new boxes. Life is good. flower
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/9/2019, 7:45 pm

Good for you, Suz.

I just now finished all the winter planting. Tomorrow we leave for our October Road Trip! Only thing left is to cover the salad bed with tulle. There may be one last rat out there in the orange tree. The rats must have been desperate to eat green oranges! Shocked

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  IAmPrimus 10/13/2019, 11:44 am

Great list! I’m back to gardening after a hiatus that lasted far too long...and with that digging out of the fuzzy corners of my mind all my gardening knowledge. Which wasn’t vast and well-defined anyhow. I’m so glad I found this thread and the entire forum. Brand new to SFG and I am seriously IN LOVE.

My Fall/Winter garden will be a bit of a challenge because of my neighbors TALLLLLLL trees and the shading but I’ve got more than half this list in but didn’t know about sugar snap peas....REALLY?!? Yay!!!
IAmPrimus
IAmPrimus

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/13/2019, 2:24 pm

welcome , IAmPrimus, from Redding, CA.

All of my gardens are in partial shade from tall trees. Nothing can survive full sun in our climate.

I love my fall garden. My sugar snap peas are about 6" high. I'm getting a whole 2nd season of tomatoes. My Mediterranean cukes love the heat, but can't take the cold nights (below 50), so they're dying out, but the lemon cukes are thriving -- they don't like the summer heat, but handle the colder nights just fine. That reminds me -- I need to plant a bush cuke for inside this winter.

Looking forward to your adventures in the garden. Feel free to start your own thread in the "Gallery" section. It makes a great garden journal and lets the rest of us follow along. good job!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  IAmPrimus 10/13/2019, 5:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
IAmPrimus
IAmPrimus

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/13/2019, 8:29 pm

IAmPrimus wrote:Thanks for the welcome!
Very Happy  I only have one more thing to say -- Dwarf Curly Kale! It's supposed to be a winter crop, but it thrives here all year long. It literally turns into a tree after about 12 monrhs and has to be chopped down to make room for the next generation of seedling. cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/15/2019, 8:01 am

Hi IAmPrimus. Welcome from Atlanta, GA! We're glad you joined us!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/15/2019, 11:49 am

Hi, Primus,  I am late welcoming you to the Forum.  glad you\'re here Yes, peas are great as winter crops in CA.  Hurry though, get them sowed as the days are getting shorter.  Garlic, also.  If you have any questions on CA growing, just ask.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/4/2021, 3:22 pm

Does everyone have their winter starts planted or sowed? This link is set at 9B, but you can change it for your Zone.

https://www.gardenate.com/?zone=116

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 10/7/2021, 5:56 pm

Been dragging my feet about starting seeds for Winter, but if I don't get going soon I'll be at the mercy of the nursery offerings. The crowned sparrows have arrived, and they are plucking off all the greenery and petals they can stuff into their greedy little beaks. So I'll have to keep things covered if I direct sow. Thanks for the Planting guide for zone 9, Sanderson.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down