Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 Toplef10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 I22gcj10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 Toplef10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 I22gcj10Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like?

+19
JocyMc
plantoid
donnainzone5
johnp
Lillyz
efirvin
Triciasgarden
llama momma
mschaef
yolos
camprn
landarch
ryan
walshevak
Turan
Goosegirl
msmare
cheyannarach
RoOsTeR
23 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like?

Post  donnainzone5 9/24/2013, 2:27 pm

Chilly, windy, and drizzly here in Central Oregon. The mountains may get a bit of snow over the next few days.

Anyone for an early winter?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like? - Page 10 Empty Re: Western Mountains and High Plains: What's Your Weather Like?

Post  Triciasgarden 9/25/2013, 3:00 pm

We are supposed to have a storm here almost any time.  We are definitely heading into fall.  It is 52 here now and is supposed to get down to 41 tonight.  Friday's low is 38.  Do I pick all my tomatoes, peppers, etc.?
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 9/26/2013, 2:11 pm

We were in a winter storm watch. Everything with a higher elevation got snow. I have been checking the temperature constantly for 2days to make sure we wouldn't hit freezing. And we got to 38 but never colder. My garden is safe for a least another week til we cold off again.
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 9/26/2013, 3:01 pm

My indoor/outdoor thermometer proclaimed a temperature of 26F this morning, and the rooftops were white.

My cold-hardy plants did fine, but the zukes I left uncovered are done for.  The beans I covered are okay, and I think the tomatoes took only a minor hit, since I had them semi-protected with frost cloth and blankets.  After tonight, when there's another risk of frost, it's supposed to warm up--for a while.  No snow yet.

Last edited by donnainzone10 on 9/26/2013, 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : corrected typo)
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2660

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 9/26/2013, 5:26 pm

Triciasgarden- to answer your question I believe that the magic number is 32. If temps are going to drop to or below 32 than pick everything. If it will stay above 32 they will be fine, just a little cold. You can also cover them if it will only hit 32 for a night or two night to help them stay warm. For example, my temps for tonight is going to be 38 I am not planning on doing anything for mine. As for the rest of the week our lows will be in the 40s. I think that fall is saying here I come but not quite yet. geek
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/27/2013, 1:13 am

32 right now. The cloud covering from this storm is clearing so it is getting colder. Supposed to go down to 30. I guess we will see. Tomorrow is supposed to be warmer again.

I have the poultry light on in the greenhouse. This is the first test to see how the plants come through by morning. THere are a lot of green tomatoes I am hoping make it. Or else it will be a frantic green tomato salsa making this weekend.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2616

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/27/2013, 12:51 pm

Whew, there was just enough cloud cover that we just skimmed through the night at 32. Everything is well saturated so the damage is minimal. The tomatillos and beans look a bit burnt on their outer edges. The peppers and tomatoes in cold frames are burnt where they hit the sides and top of their shelter. The greenhouse looks untouched.

I have carrots and beets for a fall crop. I am used to growing htem in the spring when they deal with frosts at the young growth side but will bulk their roots in warm weather. So I am wondering how it will work doing the opposite. Do they need more protection now?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/27/2013, 4:12 pm

It's freezing here, 39 right now and supposed to get down to 29 tonight, so far my green tomatoes are holding up in the Plant Inn, I might throw a blanket over the top for them tonight, it is supposed to be in the 60's this weekend and back to 70's by Monday!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/1/2013, 7:36 pm

Getting our first chance of snow on Thursday. I would like to know where fall went, one week we are in the 70/80 and loving it and next we are getting down to the upper 30s at night and 50s in the day. And now snow for real doesn't seem the fall is happening here just summer straight into winter.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/2/2013, 6:28 pm

We are supposed to get 6-10 inches of snow on Friday, seems to soon.  I think winter is gonna be a doozy!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 10/3/2013, 9:42 am

We are supposed to be in the 50's Friday for a high and 28 for the low Friday night with 30% chance of presip.. We are going to pick the green tomatoes and put them in the sun room and hope they ripen. I haven't had much luck doing this in the past, they normally just dry out. We have had a great tomato season so I wouldn't care that much but I had one volunteer show up this spring and I let it grow. It is now the largest plant and has 12-18 large green ( three are starting to turn) tom,s and I really want to try them. If they are good I will save the seeds for next year.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/3/2013, 11:27 am

You could make some fried green tomatoes or green tomato salsa!!

They updated the forecast here now calling for 18 inches of snow, but first it's supposed to rain all day!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMautDEKvao
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  mschaef 10/3/2013, 10:10 pm

Geeze Cheyannarach that is harsh...our snow today never happen nor did it rain. Just a cloudy, windy, and cold day. We didn't get out of the 30 til noon.
mschaef
mschaef

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/5/2013, 5:05 am

So far weather.com says we got 11 inches, went outside twice today and the first time the drifts were up past my knees the second time it was up to my thighs!!  Crazy!!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/5/2013, 1:22 pm

WOW! Don't get lost in the drifts!

It snowed here Thursday and Friday but mostly rained. The mountains and foothills had a good snow dump. Last night it cleared and the temperature went down to 20F. I put a small space heater in the greenhouse and everything there came through fine. Well, a few vines that were reaching into the extreme corners got nipped but no fruit. It is supposed to warm up again now, so hopefully I will get more vine ripened tomatoes!

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/5/2013, 4:31 pm

Glad your greenhouse survived the temps!!  I think we ended up with about 15 inches of wet heavy snow!  I am still snowed in and hubby is snowed in at Gillette, WY at work!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/5/2013, 4:35 pm

The Northern hills got 30-48 inches of snow in Rapid, Deadwood, Spearfish, and Sturgis and there are 24,000 people without power since yesterday, they are hoping to have power back in the next 30 hours!  So being out of milk isn't so bad (but I am also out of wine Shocked ).
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/6/2013, 3:54 am

cheyannarach wrote:The Northern hills got 30-48 inches of snow in Rapid, Deadwood, Spearfish, and Sturgis and there are 24,000 people without power since yesterday, they are hoping to have power back in the next 30 hours!  So being out of milk isn't so bad (but I am also out of wine Shocked ).
No, not the dreaded "out of wine stock!"  Laughing  I can't imagine what it is like to actually be snowed in!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/8/2013, 12:07 pm

Lol Sanderson! I love a snow day now and again but being October 4 (Thursday) I had a lot of running around to do so I put off going to the bank and grocery store til Friday... Whoops, I was stuck at my house from Thursday night until Monday afternoon! Luckily hubby got snowed in at work for most of it, he got home Sunday afternoon and I had to hike to meet him to help carry groceries but he drove me crazy, what are we going to eat, what are we going to do, etc etc. Luckily a bobcat showed up the next day! It wouldn't have been quite as bad but our 4 wheel drive pick ups transmission went out so it has no 4 wheel drive or reverse.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 10/8/2013, 12:22 pm

Good to see you check in, Cheyanne, I was wondering how you were doing.  

Soooooo......   how faired the tomato in the plant Inn?  I am guessing this was just a bit too much for it but I can hope it was safe in what became an igloo....

Your DH did not need to worry, you have canned goods and chickens to eat. Laughing 

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/8/2013, 2:34 pm

Lol, right!! We could live quite awhile off the chickens, salsa, beets, and peach jam! It really wasn't so bad and was probably the most unproductive days of my life (my house is still a mess). But Deadwood pictures are crazy, I'll see if I can post some links. Rapid City declared it a disaster and are asking for federal help (kinda funny, good luck). Deadwood ended up with 55 inches of snow!!

The saddest part is the ranchers and their cattle, they are estimating up to 75000 cows were killed in the storm.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/8/2013, 2:37 pm

Oh, and the tomatoes survived quite a long time in there, I ended up picking them green! Tried fried green tomatoes for the first time, I think I was the only one that liked them!

cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 10/8/2013, 2:42 pm

Here are a couple links!

http://www.weather.com/news/winter-storm-atlas-kills-thousands-cattle-south-dakota-20131007

http://www.weather.com/news/snow-buries-south-dakota-wyoming-winter-storm-atlas-threatens-midwest-20131004
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum