Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Toplef10Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! I22gcj10Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Toplef10Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! I22gcj10Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!!

+9
Kelejan
Pepper
AvaDGardner
Triciasgarden
givvmistamps
littlejo
CharlesB
camprn
RoOsTeR
13 posters

Go down

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Empty Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!!

Post  RoOsTeR 7/22/2012, 9:34 pm

Do you want Mel's Mix at your local Home Depot? The foundation just contacted me and it's crunch time! They need our help and your voice to convince Home Depot to start selling pre-made Mel's Mix. Victoria has asked me to get the message out and any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

A quote from Victoria:
SFG has been working with Growell and Western Organics to create a complete potting soil - one that would compete with Scotts and Miraclegro - but beat it by being organic and providing season after season, and crop after crop of great gardens.

Three years have passed - Lowes had a small bag they carried and we had the large 2 cubic foot bag that was perfectly blended pure Mel's Recipe Mel's Mix. That bag was too heavy and too expensive.

In response we came up with a smaller bag - under 10 bucks and was easy for the shopper to lift from floor to car to garden.

They tested this bag in New York stores - 13 of the best markets to see how well the Square Foot Potting Soil was received.

It went 230 percent above projections.

Sfg forum members. Please act promptly if you would like the ability to purchase Mel's Mix at your local Home Depot!

From the Square Foot Gardening Foundation:
The SFGF has a letter-writing campaign to convince Home Depot to carry Mel's Mix in all of its stores nationally by 2013. Please help us get Mel's Mix into every local area throughout the United States. This will benefit you, other gardeners, and SFGF's humanitarian work around the world. Your opinion is very important, and we appreciate you taking the time to make a difference! We only have until July 26th to get as many emails, and letters as possible. Will you join us, please?

There are three ways to help – simply choose the one that is most convenient for you:

1- Send us an email letter addressed to Home Depot, similar to the sample letter below, signed with your name and mailing address, to info@squarefootgardening.com. We will print it out and add your email letter to all of our existing letters to be hand-delivered to Home Depot on 7/27/2012.

2- Fax your Home Depot letter to SFGF at 803-416-8541.
3- Write or type a letter addressed to Home Depot (see the sample letter below for ideas). You can send the letter to us and we will add it to the collection and forward them all in one package to Home Depot. Our address is:

Square Foot Gardening Foundation

Attention: Home Depot Campaign
9005 Two Notch Road
Suite 2
Columbia SC 29223

Imagine how convenient it will be to go to your local Home Depot to buy Mel's Mix – no more buying three separate bags of vermiculite, compost, and peat moss – it will be pre-mixed for you in one convenient bag! The mix proposed for sale is a 32-quart bag, named "Square Foot Garden Potting Soil Mix," available at a price point around $10.00!

Thanks So Much!!!! Happy Gardening!!

The meeting with Home Depot is Thursday. This is our make or break year and the 3rd year we have pitched SFG - Mels Mix or the raised bed kits with included weed mat and grid.

Sample Letter:

Here is a sample letter, but please feel free to compose your own!

Dear Home Depot,

I am writing to ask you to carry Square Foot Garden Potting Soil Mix in all of your stores nationwide. It is very inconvenient that my local Home Depot store does not carry "Mel's Mix," and it means that I must purchase it elsewhere, or create my own. This valuable and superior product should be a big seller for your stores. While I'm at Home Depot to purchase SFG Potting Soil Mix, I might even buy something else. I highly recommend this product!

Sincerely,

Your name

Your mailing address

Last edited by RoOsTeR on 7/22/2012, 10:56 pm; edited 2 times in total

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Empty Re: Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!!

Post  camprn 7/22/2012, 9:41 pm

OKi doki!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Empty Re: Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!!

Post  CharlesB 7/22/2012, 9:43 pm

Sell a five compost mix. Don't need the whole thing, it's the five composts that are so hard to find. We can find the Vermiculite and Peat Moss and mix it ourselves.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/22/2012, 9:44 pm

CharlesB wrote:Sell a five compost mix. Don't need the whole thing, it's the five composts that are so hard to find. We can find the Vermiculite and Peat Moss and mix it ourselves.
For some folks this is not an option. Sad

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/22/2012, 9:51 pm

CharlesB wrote:Sell a five compost mix. Don't need the whole thing, it's the five composts that are so hard to find. We can find the Vermiculite and Peat Moss and mix it ourselves.

Charles, I do respect your opinion and comments, but that's not really what this thread is for. This is an already ongoing campaign for pre-made Mel's Mix. It's been manufactured and will hopefully be so on a larger scale with our efforts.
I will also add that vermiculite is difficult for many members to find in their area. There are also many gardeners with limitations on mixing.

Comments are welcome in this thread, but please keep it on topic.

Want Mel's Mix at Your Local Home Depot? The Foundation Needs Your Help ASAP!! Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/22/2012, 10:57 pm

Original post has been updated with a sample letter.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  littlejo 7/23/2012, 12:19 am

I realize that this thread is not asking for opinions, but, just to support a product and it's marketing, no questions asked. idts.

Where is the sample letter?
Jo
littlejo
littlejo

Female Posts : 1575

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 7/23/2012, 12:22 am

This would be perfect! Exactly what we need, especially those of us with physical limitations that keep us from mixing our own very quickly or well. Even people with time constraints can see the value in a pre-mixed bag. My letter will go out asap!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/23/2012, 1:33 am

Great idea! Just sent my letter!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 1:52 am

Oh yeah, it's great! No, vermiculite is not easy to find, depending on where you live.

Here, the farm supply store had so many requests that they carry it. That is one place with millions of people surrounding it in this county alone.

I CONSTANTLY am asking Steve, our HD garden order guy, to carry the ingredients and even more organic things. A half a block away from the store is 6000 feet of the City's organic gardening space, and he carries very, very little products for organic gardeners. I finally told him we know to come to him for our hardware, but we go the farm supply for everything else.

You should have seen his face.

He said it is all controlled by the powers above him. He keeps asking. Until they see the need, it will remain as it is.

I'm in. 100%. This could be the first domino of change.

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Pepper 7/23/2012, 6:30 am

I am in on this one.
Question is has the "new" provider/source solved the quality control issues that has plauged earlier attempts?
Either way I will be sending them a letter TODAY, maybe several from different e-mail addresses Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Pepper
Pepper

Male Posts : 564

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/23/2012, 9:16 am

The sample letter is at the end of the original post.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 7/23/2012, 11:21 am

For anyone who has searched for Mel's Mix and has a local Home Depot, this is your chance to be heard. I encourage anyone even slightly interested to zip off a quick email. It only takes a minute if you use the sample letter and enter the appropriate information. Totally painless.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/23/2012, 12:18 pm

Will letters from Canadians help in Canada?
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 4:05 pm

Probably everyone's efforts help!

My email has been sent.

Go Mel's Mix!

Ava
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/23/2012, 7:22 pm

There is no Home Depot in Elizabeth City, so I sent one with my son's address.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 7/23/2012, 8:01 pm

I sent another under my DH's addy... Laughing
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  LittleGardener 7/23/2012, 10:03 pm

Done. Sent Smile
LittleGardener
LittleGardener

Female Posts : 370

Back to top Go down

Post  jfkelly001 7/23/2012, 10:32 pm

Just done it. I hope it works
jfkelly001
jfkelly001

Male Posts : 32

Back to top Go down

Post  mrwes40 7/24/2012, 7:06 am

Done!
mrwes40
mrwes40

Male Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down