Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash Toplef10cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash I22gcj10cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash Toplef10cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash I22gcj10cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by Scorpio Rising Today at 2:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash

+5
cheyannarach
Warbler
moswell
camprn
jmsieglaff
9 posters

Go down

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash Empty Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash

Post  jmsieglaff 7/8/2012, 3:39 pm

Hi everyone,

So I've got cucumbers, buttercup, butternut, and tromboncino squash all going in my various beds along the trellis. It has been very hot and dry here. The past few days I've seen a noticable uptick in cucumber beetles (spotted and striped), so much that hand picking isn't a viable option. I see a few on the cucumbers, but on the buttercup squash, specifically in a male flower blossom, there is a party going on. I found some eggs on the underside of leaves of that plant (sprayed with neem oil). I removed the male blossom (don't have any female ones on those anyway), sprayed it, sealed it and disposed of it (there had to 15-20 beetles in that blossom).

Has anyone else found that cucumber beetles seem to like buttercup squash more than their cucumbers? For what it's worth I'm planning on treating the cucumbers and rest of the squash with neem oil this evening (wind permitting). The butternut and tromboncino squash really don't seem to attract them (and I think I've got my first two female flowers pollinated on the tromboncino but I'm not sure since the squash are so big even before the flowers open).
jmsieglaff
jmsieglaff

Male Posts : 253

Back to top Go down

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash Empty Re: Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash

Post  camprn 7/8/2012, 4:05 pm

They like my zucchini plants the best.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash Empty Re: Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash

Post  moswell 7/8/2012, 4:37 pm

camprn wrote:
They like my zucchini plants the best.
I'm in the same boat. I haven't been nearly as infested as the previous poster, but I have seen a number of them on my zucchini plant. For a while, I was scared that I'd gotten some kind of disease on the zucchini from them, but they seem to be doing okay. I have to say, smushing that large a bug is not my favorite thing to do. Very Happy
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/8/2012, 6:15 pm

I know what you mean. The cucumber beetles are vectors for disease that is why I try to be vigilant in squishing the suckers.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Warbler 7/8/2012, 8:39 pm

I wish I could find pictures of the most common pests and diseases, - including this one.
Warbler
Warbler

Location : Pacific Northwest -rainy side of the mountains, about 700 ft elevation

Back to top Go down

Post  moswell 7/8/2012, 8:43 pm

Warbler wrote:I wish I could find pictures of the most common pests and diseases, - including this one.
Camprn linked to a great resource the other day: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/text18/plantvectors.html

moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/8/2012, 9:10 pm

moswell wrote:
Warbler wrote:I wish I could find pictures of the most common pests and diseases, - including this one.
Camprn linked to a great resource the other day: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent425/text18/plantvectors.html

Yup, that's a good one. There is a sub forum called Pests and another called Disease. Both have some good information.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/8/2012, 11:39 pm

The only one I have found so far was on my broccoli. Weird?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  moldeen85 7/16/2012, 1:22 pm

I've seen them on almost every plant in my garden, including lettuc plants. They clearly prefer my cucumbers more than anything. I have crook neck squash, gold and black beauty zuchinni. They like those plants too but they LOVE the cukes. Mad Neem oil seems to be helping my garden and hand picking whenever possible.

Good luck. hiddenID
moldeen85
moldeen85

Female Posts : 51

Back to top Go down

cucumber beetles - Cucumber beetles on buttercup squash Empty Easier way to catch cucumber beetles

Post  J_in_HamiltonON 7/30/2012, 6:09 pm

Hi, hope this posting is okay in this thread.
Cucumber beetles - they just seem to always be hanging around in squash and cucumber blossoms. I try to grab them and squish them whenever I find them. However, usually I catch one or two while several others fly away.
Last night after dark I was out in my garden with a headlamp,to check on something. In the process I discovered that cucumber beetles (both striped and spotted - the latter of which I have never seen before until last night) are way easier to catch and dispose of after dark. They seem to be very reluctant to fly and when they do they only go a short distance and land again. The only hitch is that newer squash flowers will be closed up and as such there will be a number of the beetles hiding in there, However, I found many hanging around on old limps blossoms and on other parks of the plants. So if cucumber beetles are a pest in your garden, try catching them after dark.
J_in_HamiltonON
J_in_HamiltonON

Male Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/30/2012, 6:25 pm

J_in_HamiltonON wrote:Hi, hope this posting is okay in this thread.
Cucumber beetles - they just seem to always be hanging around in squash and cucumber blossoms. I try to grab them and squish them whenever I find them. However, usually I catch one or two while several others fly away.
Last night after dark I was out in my garden with a headlamp,to check on something. In the process I discovered that cucumber beetles (both striped and spotted - the latter of which I have never seen before until last night) are way easier to catch and dispose of after dark. They seem to be very reluctant to fly and when they do they only go a short distance and land again. The only hitch is that newer squash flowers will be closed up and as such there will be a number of the beetles hiding in there, However, I found many hanging around on old limps blossoms and on other parks of the plants. So if cucumber beetles are a pest in your garden, try catching them after dark.

Totally agree! I was amazed at what's going on in the garden after dark! We had probs years ago with plants being toppled over by the morning. Went out at night and had hundreds of earwigs partying down!! What a Face What a Face We had no idea.
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 7/31/2012, 2:31 am

When you see that many of these bugs you get kind of shocked for a moment, like how in the world am I going to get rid of that many! I don't think we get japanese beetles here in Utah, luckily. Interesting fact, the news showed how diligent UPS is on keeping the japanese beetle from spreading. They have a whole crew that has been doing this for many years that inspects their airplanes before they head to the West! Go UPS!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down