Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Late Planting Toplef10Late Planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Late Planting I22gcj10Late Planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Late Planting Toplef10Late Planting 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Late Planting I22gcj10Late Planting 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Late Planting

+8
MasonGarden
quiltbea
llama momma
yolos
CharlesB
walshevak
ABGardener
Eve1221
12 posters

Go down

Late Planting Empty Late Planting

Post  Eve1221 6/25/2012, 7:32 pm

It took me more time that I thought to get all the ingredients needed to make Mel's Mix, measure them out, mix them, and then fill the 4 x 4 frames. Now it is already the last week of June, and I have not planted anything yet. Is it too late, or can I still plant tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, and such, and still be able to harvest some fruits of my labor? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Smile
Eve1221
Eve1221

Back to top Go down

Late Planting Empty Re: Late Planting

Post  ABGardener 6/26/2012, 1:48 am

You're not alone. I too am starting late. We had a very cool, snowy spring and I was reluctant to plant anything until it warmed up. I'd also be interested in finding out what others recommend. Our growing season is short at the best of times, so I am thinking of sticking with veggies that grow fairly quickly like radishes, spinach, lettuce. Maybe I'll try carrots, beets and beans. I checked the local garden store for veggie plants and found a pepper plant. One year I made a dome support and covered my SFG with a clear plastic tarp (like a little greenhouse) to protect it and hopefully help speed things along.
ABGardener
ABGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/26/2012, 10:37 am

Eve1221 wrote:It took me more time that I thought to get all the ingredients needed to make Mel's Mix, measure them out, mix them, and then fill the 4 x 4 frames. Now it is already the last week of June, and I have not planted anything yet. Is it too late, or can I still plant tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers, and such, and still be able to harvest some fruits of my labor? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Smile

I would check out what transplants are still available and get something in the ground. Beans grow fairly quickly. Next month you can start stuff for the fall garden.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Eve1221 6/26/2012, 10:49 am

What kind of vegetables are good for "Fall planting"?Smile
Eve1221
Eve1221

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/26/2012, 10:58 am

any of the cool weather crops. Peas, broccoli, collards, kale, lettuce, turnips. Find out your first frost date and count backwards to determine when to plant.

check this out
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t8121-designing-a-fall-garden

kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 6/26/2012, 11:05 am

I planted numorous things last year the last week of July for my Fall crops. I am in PA so our climate is similar.

If you are planting now you can go buy starts at many places around that get you a good head start. If you want peppers and tomatoes I would do this. My peppers I bought as starts were putting on peppers within a month of planting them.

You can plant about anything right now except for the heat sensitive items. I wouldn't try sweet peas, peas, greens, kale, spinach or lettuce.

I had some extra space and just planted some cukes, peppers, egg plant, kohlrabi and corn.

If you plant seeds or have small starts I would put some shade up for them to get established. A trick my father-in-law from the Philippines taught me is to brake a little leafed branch off any nearby bush and stick it in the ground to shade the seedling. The leaves dry out slowly giving more sun exposure to the seedling each day. This keeps them from getting roasted in the summer sun until they get a root system to support themselves.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/26/2012, 11:31 am

I had some extra space and just planted some cukes, peppers, egg plant, kohlrabi and corn.

CharlesB - I thought kohlrabi was a cool weather crop ??? Am I wrong.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  CharlesB 6/26/2012, 11:42 am

yolos wrote:

CharlesB - I thought kohlrabi was a cool weather crop ??? Am I wrong.

It is but I planted it in a fair amount of shade from a couple tomato plants. I grow them in heat and just eat them while they are small. Grow fast, will be ready in less than 45 days. They seem to hold their own ok in the heat but I wouldn't have them getting blasted by the sun all day. I doubt they would taste very good.
CharlesB
CharlesB

Male Posts : 273

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 6/26/2012, 11:50 am

Same thing in central Ohio, kohlrabi seems to take morning sun very well then is shaded from carrot tops in the afternoon.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 6/26/2012, 11:59 am

You can transplant tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants now. Eggplants like the heat. Try to get the tomatoes that mature sooner than others, like 60-70 days.

You can start cool-weather crops seeds right in the ground while its hot and the seeds can germinate. As the days shorten and get cooler, the cool crops can grow and come to harvest. They actually prefer fall to spring because its getting cooler, not hotter. Heat makes them bolt/go to seed.

You may be a little warmer than me so your frost date will be a bit later. I'm in zone 5a, but here's my planting schedule so you can get an idea of what goes in before another crop:

now up to 6/25....sow outdoors seeds of broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, parsnips. 6/18 - 7/2 sow rutabaga. 7/2-16 sow carrot seeds. 7/9-23 sow bush beans and peas. 7/16-30 sow turnip seeds. Up to Aug 6 sow Swiss chard. 7/23 - 8/6 sow beets. 7/30-8/13 sow kale, leaf lettuce and spinach. 8/20-9/3 sow radishes. Oct 12th plant garlic sets to overwinter and harvest next June-July.

As mentioned, find out your first frost date and then count the weeks back from that date plus a week or 2 for harvesting, to find out what crops you should plant when. If you have Mel's books, he has charts that make it easier.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Eve1221 7/1/2012, 9:12 am

Thank you everyone that offered suggestions. I bought sizable transplants at Home Depot choosing from different varieties of sweet peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers. I planted them earlier this past week of 6/25. So far so good. The taller pepper plants are flowering and a couple of them are growing fruit already. Tomatoes do not have fruit, but are beginning to flower. I cross my fingers and hope for the best.

What concerns me now is how much watering should I do. In the beginning, I watered every day to make sure that Mel's Mix was thoroughly soaked. We have been having a heat wave for the past week or so. The temperatures go up to 90 degrees and above with the accompanying humidity, but no rain. Each day when I go to check on my garden, the soil looks gray, but lately it does not take long for it to change color to black with flakes of lighter vermiculite, of course. The transplants perked up as of last visit, but some of the pepper plants have leaves that turned whitish, probably from overexposure to the sun. There is no shade nearby, and I don't have anything to protect them from too much sun. How often should I water, and for how long? How do I know when I watered enough? Any suggestions would be very welcome.

Thank you.
Eve1221
Eve1221

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/1/2012, 4:11 pm

I can give you tips on protection from the sun. Get some wire clothes hangers and twist them into a half moon. Place cheesecloth over them and hold it on with spring clothes pins.

Late Planting Shadec11

This protects from the hot sun. Gives the plants a little shade. This method is great for extending the harvest on lettuce, radishes and spinach in the early spring when the temps start rising and these crops tend to bolt. Keeps them cool enough to last a couple weeks longer before bolting.

If its hot and dry, I'd water every day. Or stick your finger 3" down in the soil near the crop's main stem and feel for dampness. If its dry, water it.

I always place this cheesecloth protection over newly-planted transplants for 2 or 3 days as a normal thing. even if they've been hardened off a week or more. I want them protected from the hot sun til they take root.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Eve1221 7/6/2012, 12:28 pm

Thank you for all your suggestions. So far, my transplants are doing well. I keep my fingers crossed.

Changing the subject, I just wanted to mention that when I was shopping at COSTCO last evening, I was surprised to see in the gardening section, boxes containing 4' x 4' x 6" frames for square foot gardening. I read the information on the box that, among other things, gave the exact recipe for Mel's mix, and instructions on how to set the whole thing up. It sure makes it less of an effort to do Square Foot Gardening. The frames are made from some kind of durable plastic rather than wood. I don't know how much assembly is involved, but the boxes did not look large enough to contain fully assembled units.Very Happy
Eve1221
Eve1221

Back to top Go down

Post  Eve1221 7/7/2012, 10:32 am

There is one more question that I have concerning my sweet pepper transplants. They are all doing rather well, and several are already growing fruit. The biggest growing sweet pepper is labeled "Bonnie Green Sweet Hybrid Pepper". The fruit is green at the present time, but will it turn another color (red, yellow, orange, or ?) when it ripens, or will it stay green. Is there really such a thing as a truly green sweet pepper, or will it always turn another color when it is ripe? Thanks.
Eve1221
Eve1221

Back to top Go down

Post  MasonGarden 7/7/2012, 10:45 am

Hi Eve! I bought raised garden kits from Costco last year and they worked out great for me. I stacked mine two-high and the only issue that I had was the soil and water running out between the levels, which I fixed with good old-fashioned duct tape! They are holding up very well. Here they are at year 2:

Late Planting Dsc_0210
MasonGarden
MasonGarden

Female Posts : 284

Back to top Go down

Post  Eve1221 7/7/2012, 10:59 am

Wow! Those raised beds from COSTCO really look great!
Eve1221
Eve1221

Back to top Go down

Late Planting Empty Raised beds at Costco

Post  memart1 7/7/2012, 11:34 am

We don't have a Costco around here, but I know Home Depot has both wood and vinyl raised beds. Does anyone know if they stack well, and if there are any minor problem I should watch for? I am thinking of three for next year. Two I would stack, and the third I would make into a strawberry pyramid by constructing top hats.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/7/2012, 11:40 am

I doubt that they have interlocking parts to hold stacked boxes together, but they would probably stack OK if you used wood or metal to secure the boxes to each other.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick 7/7/2012, 12:47 pm

memart1 wrote:...Home Depot has both wood and vinyl raised beds. Does anyone know if they stack well, and if there are any minor problem I should watch for? I am thinking of three for next year. Two I would stack, and the third I would make into a strawberry pyramid by constructing top hats.

The ones that I saw at Home Depot are made from Cedar and I don't think they require any tools to put together because they have grooves that you fit each piece into another. The corners have a flat top decorative piece. I didn't see that they were designed to be stacked. AND .. they are only 1 inch wide and seemed kind of flimsy.

Of course that makes sense when you're comparing to boxes with 2x2 frames.
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Late Planting Empty Boxes from Home Depot

Post  memart1 7/7/2012, 1:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I think maybe I'd be better off making my own out of 2" x 8". Then I can stack them and maybe even put some short lengths of 1" x 2" to hold them in line and also be decorative. Thanks again.
memart1
memart1

Female Posts : 195

http://www.mem-artceramics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 7/7/2012, 5:25 pm

CharlesB wrote:
It is but I planted it in a fair amount of shade from a couple tomato plants. I grow them in heat and just eat them while they are small. Grow fast, will be ready in less than 45 days. They seem to hold their own ok in the heat but I wouldn't have them getting blasted by the sun all day. I doubt they would taste very good.

I have a few squares that are empty now. I like kohlrabi so I will give this a try! Thank you, Charles, for this idea!
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 7/7/2012, 5:47 pm

I have 10 of these cedar beds from Home Depot. 1" boards but they are holding up well as tabletops. No bulging on the sides. They come with hardware to stack and they are hinged so you expand to 4x8 or more. I just wish they would get more in stock. Been out for at least 2 months.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ12l2/R-202059471/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=raised+beds&storeId=10051

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  JeanneRamick 7/7/2012, 9:40 pm

walshevak wrote:I have 10 of these cedar beds from Home Depot. 1" boards but they are holding up well as tabletops. No bulging on the sides. They come with hardware to stack and they are hinged so you expand to 4x8 or more. I just wish they would get more in stock. Been out for at least 2 months.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZ12l2/R-202059471/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=raised+beds&storeId=10051

Kay

Those are not the ones I saw in the stores around here this spring. Glad those are working out for you!

Here's a link to the ones I'm talking about having seen:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=202520884&R=202520884
JeanneRamick
JeanneRamick

Female Posts : 49

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down