Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Toplef10Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 I22gcj10Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Toplef10Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 I22gcj10Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device

+12
taywood
AtlantaMarie
sanderson
FamilyGardening
claudiamedic
JeffKC
Kelejan
herblover
Nonna.PapaVino
rowena___.
westx
westie
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Empty Re: Freezing Food With a food Saver Device

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/21/2015, 8:28 am

Good for you!

One thing on meats or anything rather "wet" - be sure to put them in the bags, wipe down the top 1-1/2" or so, and freeze before sealing.  That way you don't suck any liquid out as you're sealing. 

The sealer doesn't like wet or greasy.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Empty Re: Freezing Food With a food Saver Device

Post  sanderson 1/21/2015, 2:52 pm

Good tip.  I was wondering how to get really wet things in the bags without getting "juice" on the sealing area.  Duh, since its going in the Freezer, a clean paper towel should be good enough. I used the canning funnel for something recently so that may also help.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 1/21/2015, 3:33 pm

They actually sell a food saver freezer bag that has some type of material in the top that stops the liquid from coming out.  I tried it once and it worked but they are pricey compared to the other bags.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/22/2015, 5:59 pm

Here is how I get my bag of liquids  sorted
First cut a tube of rain pipe etc ,then slice it from to to bottom once and smooth all the edges so there are no sharp edges 
Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Mycameramincer160_zps69ba60fa

Slip a strong vac & heat seal bag over your hand and push your hand into the tube .. extract hand leaving bag in place. 
Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Mycameramincer159_zps8efbbf7b

Fold the excess bag back over the outer edge don't go mad and stretch it as this will make it difficult to heat seal in some heat sealer machines. 
Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Mycameramincer158_zps64d7e236

Fill the bags ..I have four tubes at present , each bag takes one litre of liquid to bring the level to about an inch below the rim of the tube.
Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Mycameramincer156_zps10b61719

When the bags are filled , wipe off any spillage off the bag with a clean hot damp cloth ,ease the folded down part back up the sleeve , carefully put them in the freezer to freeze solid over night then  take the bag out the sleeve to vac pack & heat seal it . Now label the bag and put it back in the freezer ..

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 Mycameramincer157_zps0977312b
This freezer picture shows the bags before I discovered it was better to have the neck of the bag released off the tube before freezing .
The problem was that the frozen bag had to be stretched to bring the folded back portion upright and this caused me to stretch the bag rim which then made it difficult to insert in my type of heat sealing machine.

TIP.
When picking up the unfrozen bag still in the tube , hold the bag neck and lift it a tad so the bag stays inside the tube and does not slip through or catch in the slot you cut .

The slot is to allow for the expansion of the liquid when it freezes ..my first tubes were not split . I had the very devil of a job getting the rock solid frozen bag of contents out the tubes.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2015, 6:53 pm

Plantoid, Clever idea. Thanks also for including the reasoning for slicing the pipe down the side.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/22/2015, 7:42 pm

I forgot to add..

My 110 mm external diameter black plastic tubes...... Were a smidgeon too big to comfortably turn the top of the freeze bag back over .
 So I simply press on one side of the slit to put it inside the other to reduce the diameter by a bit.
Whilst in this state I turn the top of the bag over the smaller diameter ,then carefully let it go free , it presses out gently on the bag without stretching it enough to cause a problem with my vac heat sealer machine  .
 I always let any really hot liquid cool to hand hot in the bags before I attempt to  move them or ease the turned back bit of the bags off the tubes . I did this after I found out the hard way that hot soup burns if it is splashes up as you turn the filled bag back on itself .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/22/2015, 9:37 pm

That IS a clever idea...  Thanks, Plantoid! 

I'll show this one to hubby.

Smile
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/22/2015, 10:30 pm

Plantoid, What is the width of the plastic bag? The is some thing I would at least like to tinker with as we have a section of 4" PVC left over from another project.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 1/23/2015, 4:44 pm

My tubes are just over 6 inches tall and the width is 115 mm external diameter , my bags are embossed heavy duty heat sealable ones ..

The  bag I show in the picture below is a bigger size than that shown in the fridge shot earlier on ,
 the reason for the bigger bag was ease of putting  it in the tube & folding the top back plus I can put bigger portions /joints of meat or bones etc  in the bigger bags .

This picture shows a steel nut holding the split in the tube open .. I used this method to hold the tube open whilst I was sanding down the sharp saw cut edges  all edges , corners , inner & outer rims are free from any burr or sharp edge for obvious reasons .  Once fully smoothed I put the tubes in the dishwasher to clean them and they did not melt or distort .

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 IMG_5839_zpse3a595c9

This pictures shows the bigger bag 230 mm wide internally when flat by 350 long when flat with  the tube inside to give you an idea of things .

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 IMG_5843_zpsf28d423d.

This picture shows the crisscross of the raised embossed pattern on the bags .
These bags are fantastic , for the tunnels created by the embossing allow quick escape of air from all of the bag when doing the vac pack & heat seal exercise .
 It does not seem to matter if the embossing is upper most or facing down it works well either way .. 
Being made of a nice thick plastic the bags sealing edge slips deep inside my type of heat sealers " bag slot  much better than any of the softer ones  , thus I rarely have a sealed seam failure .

Freezing Food With a food Saver Device - Page 2 IMG_5840_zps88a416c2

A simple way of finding of the bag width needed is to run a strip of paper round the pipe and then cut it where it meets the end and fold it in half ,  then measure the half folded paper to find your bag width .. allow a bit more so it is easy to slip the bag over the pipe .
plantoid
plantoid

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/23/2015, 7:50 pm

Thanks, Plantoid.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 1/24/2015, 10:45 am

+1
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum