Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants Toplef10Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants I22gcj10Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants Toplef10Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants I22gcj10Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants

5 posters

Go down

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants Empty Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants

Post  jaycromer 5/14/2012, 5:16 pm

I am new to square foot gardening and this year was my first attempt at it. I have definitely learned quite a bit in reading the book and by reading posts here on the forum. I have recently been having issues with my better beef tomato and also both my pickling cucumber and regular burpless hybrid cucumber plants.

Some of the leaves on the lower branches of the tomato plant are starting to look like this:

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 23699e2e

Also on certain branches at the top some of the leaves are curling inwards and wilting but are still green. I am not sure if the wilt and curl are due to our wonderful FL heat or not.

In regards to the cucumbers quite a few of the the more mature leaves look like this:

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 823d6b2d

The newer growth is still green but the older more mature parts have gotten like this and started to extend up making the base of the plant look more leggy. I am guessing that the reason those older affected leaves are reaching up is because they are unable to process much of the sunlight, so they are thinking if they go a little higher maybe they could get more sun. Just a wild guess, but that is what I was thinking. I know it isn't exactly the most scientific explanation or guess. Anyway, all comments and advice are welcome, I could definitely use some. On the bright side I have some Blue Lake bush beans that seem to be doing well and a couple small Husky Cherry Red Tomato plants that are producing quite a bit, so all is not lost Very Happy
jaycromer
jaycromer

Male Posts : 2

Back to top Go down

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants Empty Re: Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants

Post  doneal 5/14/2012, 10:14 pm

maybe someone with more experence than me will chime in here, but I would Google epsom salts, I think the mix is 2 tbls per gal water?
doneal
doneal

Male Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants Empty Re: Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants

Post  camprn 5/14/2012, 10:20 pm

The cucumber leaf appears to have downy mildew.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/14/2012, 10:37 pm

Check out these two sites. You can enlarge the pictures on the sites and it makes it easier to identify the disease. Also, sometimes their written description may help narrow down the disease.

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/factsheets/Cucurbit_List.htm

http://vegetablemdonline.ppath.cornell.edu/DiagnosticKeys/TomLeaf/TomLeafKey.html

On the picture of the tomato, click on the word leaves and it takes you to pictures of various leaf diseases.
Sorry the font is so small, but I can't figure out how to manipulate the font size without screwing up everything.

yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/15/2012, 5:18 pm

Hi Jay, Problems with Tomato and Cucumber Plants 396615 to the forum!

The tomato leaves wilting is something I see in the afternoon, especially in late afternoon after a long, hot day. Often giving them a small drink will perk them up again, but I also had this problem when one of them got overwatered. Best thing to do is stick your finger deep into the soil to see how moist the soil is, then decide whether to water. In our heat, the top layer can crust over, which actually helps maintain moisture levels below the crust. If the crust cracks, it's quite likely time to water again. I still recommend testing the soil before the cracking stage, as you might be a bit late if you wait to see it crack. Hope that makes sense!

As for the discoloration of tomato and cucumber leaves, I'm hoping you got help from the links previously posted. If not, let us know, and/or do a search using the search box in the upper left corner of the page, making certain the "Search SFG Forum" box is checked.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down