Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Flowers to attract hummingbirds Toplef10Flowers to attract hummingbirds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Flowers to attract hummingbirds I22gcj10Flowers to attract hummingbirds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Flowers to attract hummingbirds Toplef10Flowers to attract hummingbirds 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Flowers to attract hummingbirds I22gcj10Flowers to attract hummingbirds 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Flowers to attract hummingbirds

+7
BetsyC
Sassafrassy
jillintx
givvmistamps
llama momma
Unmutual
SwampCatNana
11 posters

Go down

Flowers to attract hummingbirds Empty Flowers to attract hummingbirds

Post  SwampCatNana 5/11/2012, 5:17 pm

Found this page that lists all the flowers to plant to attract hummingbirds: Flowers for Hummingbirds

Anyone have any experience with these?

Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Female Posts : 237

Back to top Go down

Flowers to attract hummingbirds Empty Re: Flowers to attract hummingbirds

Post  Unmutual 5/11/2012, 5:24 pm

All I can really add to this is that the 3 hummingbirds that visit my back yard do seem to prefer the big, showy flowers over the smaller flowers. I don't grow any hybrid flowers, so I really couldn't say anything about their sense of smell.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 5/11/2012, 5:30 pm

My hummers hang around my red petunias so I put those in the window boxes to enjoy the flowers with lovely scent and of course the hummers practically right on the windows. They also hang around the pink weigela bushes even though you usually think of red flowers to attract hummers. And they hang around the trumpet vines. If I sit still holding the red syrup feeder in my hands they come and buzz and do a very hi pitch beeping sound just inches from my face. It's a cheap thrill. rofl
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/11/2012, 5:32 pm

I have no experience with them...yet...but we chose several varieties on the list to plant in our gardens. I was looking to attract butterflies, but it looks like I might have a hummer or two visiting as a bonus! cheers
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  jillintx 5/11/2012, 6:40 pm

Hummingbirds really seem to zero in on anything red...including a spray bottle (the bird actually hovered in front of my face and gave me a dirty look when he realized it wasn't a feeder!) So any red flower has an advantage. Flowers that I've grown sucessfully from that list: Texas Sage, Red Yucca, Shrimp Plant (grew in south FL), Salvia, Coral Honeysuckle, Canna (if you are in a windy area, look for dwarf), Lantana and Columbine The Firebird looks suspiciously like something we called Firecracker, which they like. A vine not on the list that they regularly go to is the Cross Vine. Lots of choices, and some are low maintenance!
jillintx
jillintx

Female Posts : 82

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/11/2012, 9:02 pm

I had 2 experiences with hummers. The first while I lived in Long Beach CA. I had a small patio, fenced in. All the ground apartments had one. The guy next to me had a beautiful tree and a nest with 2 baby hummers. Each time I went on the patio the mother would bombard me! It was also the first time I ever saw a hummer absolutely still.
The second was on my trip to Costa Rica. Went wen to a cloud forest and a hummingbird sanctuary. I have NEVER see so many different kinds of hummers in my life. There was even one so small, I doubt it was bigger than my thumb!
I was in Monte Verde Cloud Forest. It took us 1 hour to go 2 miles because the road up the mountain was so steep and not finished, just gravel! I don't think I breathed the whole time!

I was here!

Hope you enjoy these wonderful videos of the hummers!
I'm having a hard time stopping looking at all the youTube videos about Costa Rica, specifically, Arenal Volcano, Monte Verde Cloud Forest, etc!
Time to close up shop!
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  Sassafrassy 5/12/2012, 2:02 am

I have two pommegranite shrubs in my yard and the hummers love the red blossums.
Sassafrassy
Sassafrassy

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/12/2012, 7:20 am

Sassafrassy wrote:I have two pommegranite shrubs in my yard and the hummers love the red blossums.

I lived in Long Beach, CA for 4 years and it was the first time I saw a pomegranate tree. You have a pomegranate shrub? Interesting.
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 5/12/2012, 1:00 pm

Lee, THANK YOU for sharing those videos! Those hummingbirds are so fascinating Shocked You must have had an amazing time seeing them in that preserve.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampCatNana 5/12/2012, 4:07 pm

It was one of those once-in-a-lifetime experiences. One I will not readily forget!
Lee
SwampCatNana
SwampCatNana

Back to top Go down

Post  BetsyC 5/13/2012, 2:09 am

I have always loved hummingbirds! My sweet Dad who lived with us in his final years used to always ask me if I knew why hummingbirds hum. Then he would tell me "because they don't know the words!" Oh, what a great guy he was! I love you

Anyway- I get lots of these delightful little jewel toned babies with my butterfly bushes. I have 2 of them, and I get tons of hummers and butterflies. The coolest thing is when the baby hummers start coming around. I literally stand at my window and squeal (as quietly as I can so I don't scare them!) They are just priceless!
BetsyC
BetsyC

Female Posts : 87

Back to top Go down

Flowers to attract hummingbirds Empty BUMP!

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/31/2017, 6:00 pm

I have hummingbirds, however they really seem to prefer the perennial flowers and (gasp) weeds over the annuals that I plant that they seem to like (lantanas, petunias, snapdragons, etc.)

Anybody have any input here?  I have a "lull" in my perennial bed; irises done, early bulbs way gone, day lilies not ready, geraniums starting, but they don't seem to like them....

Looking for perennial NOW blooming flowers that hummers might like...any ideas?  I have room for a bush type thing....
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/31/2017, 6:17 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I have hummingbirds, however they really seem to prefer the perennial flowers and (gasp) weeds over the annuals that I plant that they seem to like (lantanas, petunias, snapdragons, etc.)

Anybody have any input here?  I have a "lull" in my perennial bed; irises done, early bulbs way gone, day lilies not ready, geraniums starting, but they don't seem to like them....

Looking for perennial NOW blooming flowers that hummers might like...any ideas?  I have room for a bush type thing....
I bought trumpet vine for my hummers, but it was late late year and it hasn't bloome yet, so I can't vouch for it from personal experience. Our hummers love Katie's aloe blooms, but that's not a common occurrence, so I wouldn't recommend it just for that. I really don't know where mine are going. They aren't using the feeders, but they are hanging around the yard.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/31/2017, 6:34 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:I have hummingbirds, however they really seem to prefer the perennial flowers and (gasp) weeds over the annuals that I plant that they seem to like (lantanas, petunias, snapdragons, etc.)

I bought trumpet vine for my hummers, but it was late late year and it hasn't bloome yet, so I can't vouch for it from personal experience. Our hummers love Katie's aloe blooms, but that's not a common occurrence, so I wouldn't recommend it just for that. I really don't know where mine are going. They aren't using the feeders, but they are hanging around the yard.
Right.  I had a trumpet vine at the old house, and they did love that!  Can't grow aloe here....mine are using the feeders, and they don't when my perennials get going....at least they have that!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/1/2017, 11:51 am

Maybe a red columbine? Not a shrub, but they should be perennial... but I'm not sure where mine have gotten to.

A hummer has been visiting *something* in my garden recently. The first time I figured it was just saying thanks as I sowed lacy phacelia seeds (I could joke that it thought my ear was a flower, but I'm QUITE certain that I smelled NOTHING like a flower at that point.) But it has been back, so it's up to something. The lilac has been there for awhile, and the internet doesn't seem to suggest they love those, so probably not that. The only newish bloomer is my peas. Internet says that, yes, they like pink and red pea flowers. So not a perennial, but maybe planted each year vegetable that could also please the HBs.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/1/2017, 8:43 pm

My old fashioned red/yellow columbine just got done flowering....so yes, I am sure they were on that.  But it is only one plant (hoping to get some seeds and propagate that baby).

I mean they seem to like the feeder, I am really careful about keeping it fresh and clean.  Wish there was an early lily---oh, hey!  Maybe a straight up lily!!!  I have daylilies, but regular lilies are in bloom here now!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/26/2023, 6:50 pm

I so love my hummingbirds!  Thinking that I need to plant more perennials that attract them.  Need to see where I can put some trumpet vine but I don’t see it…
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 8/26/2023, 6:59 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote: Need to see where I can put some trumpet vine but I don’t see it…

I took out the trumpet vines last year after they became so invasive. They were spreading everywhere.

One of the favorite perennials that the hummingbirds love in our gardens is the Crocosmia 'Lucifer". When it is bloom, the hummingbirds can't stay away from it.  When it isn't in bloom, they visit the Buddleja (Butterfly Bush).

Flowers to attract hummingbirds Crocos10

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

cyclonegardener likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down