Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

+17
southern gardener
GWN
Boz
llama momma
boffer
Momof5Js
camprn
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Goosegirl
grammy
efirvin
snibb
Triciasgarden
Turan
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
21 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  FamilyGardening 6/11/2012, 4:38 am

cheyannarach wrote:Got a bunch more planted a few days ago (watermelons, canteloupes, cukes, and squash) still witing on hubby getting the cattle panel so I can get the rest of the tomatoes and malibar spinach planted, I am thinking I will just plant them tomorrow and deal with the cattle panel later (even though the way we are set up the panel will go it the bed)!

Today I planted two more beds with more lettuce, spinach, broccoli, cabbage, strawberry spinach, radishes, turnips, beets, and brussel spouts. I have three boxes that Are dedicated to cool weather crops all summer as they are in the shade a bunch.

Anybody have any more suggestions for more shade/cool veggies? I still have one 3x3 box for them!

how about bok choy and cauliflower Very Happy

hugs

rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  RoOsTeR 6/11/2012, 7:43 am

+1 on the bok choy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/11/2012, 7:47 am

cheyannarach wrote:I have three boxes that Are dedicated to cool weather crops all summer as they are in the shade a bunch.

Anybody have any more suggestions for more shade/cool veggies? I still have one 3x3 box for them!

I can't believe I am so DUMB! Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 926169 I have been wracking my brain trying to figure out what to do with my compost pile area now that I have my compost tumblers. Because it is in limited sunlight I was thinking I would have to wait until I can talk Hubby into letting me take down the dying tree that blocks the sun for 1/2 the day. BUILD COOL WEATHER CROP BOXES! Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 582897

I have enough lumber to make at least one 4x4 box, and if I cobble, maybe even 2 more of dubious footage.....!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 109486 flower Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 311672 THANKS CHEYANNE!!!!!Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 311672 flower Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 109486

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 11:18 am

Your welcome GG, that's how I have ended up with so many boxes I keep finding lumber, I cut a few, then I make odd sized boxes with leftovers!

Thanks for the suggestions, I do have cauliflower I must have forgot to mention, bak choy sounds good, I was also thinking about swiss chard too!

Last edited by cheyannarach on 6/11/2012, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/11/2012, 12:07 pm

I see the Average Late Frost Date has been passed Very Happy

+2 on the bok choi. We especially like the dwarf varieties. Also swiss chard can take some heat and lasts until fall.

It rained and snowed was cold and miserable here all weekend. But it DID NOT frost! YEAH!

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 12:56 pm

Yay cheers no frost! It has been a bit blah here, hailed again 2 nights ago but nothing looked worse than it already did Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 43549 from the last hail! My lettuce is springing back pretty well! I will be outside taking care of what ever I can think of today, I need to plant a few more seeds, build an enclosure with pallets for a large compost pile. Hubby took me out yesterday on a hunt for leaves from last fall so we got a garbage bag full and added them to the tumbler and now I need to leave it alone and let it finish! I have a few squares that will not reover from the hail that need to be replaced, and I am thinking about starting some indoor seeds for fall transpants like broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, I need to check the calendar firt to make sure of the timing! I also had a few extra cukes I need to find a home for outside!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/13/2012, 6:24 pm

Yay, strawberries! I was out watering today and saw a bunch and bunch of tiny baby strawberries starting to grow. They are first year plants but what can I say... I'm not patient Laughing . I thought about it and could not bring myself to pinch off the blooms. One reason I don't have asparagus is because I don't want to wait for it, but I think hubby is going to take that on next year! We have been hailed on 3 times in the last week but I was prepared for it yesterday Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 43549 .
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/13/2012, 6:59 pm

Congrats on the berries and making it through the hail storm Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 3170584802

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/13/2012, 10:59 pm

RoOsTeR wrote:Congrats on the berries and making it through the hail storm Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 3170584802

+1

How do you prepare for hail?

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/14/2012, 2:09 am

Well I go out in the yard and grab every bucket, toy, wood, tarp... that I can find and start covering. Tomatoes and peppers are always first then I cover what ever else I can with what I've got and hope for the best for the rest. The first hail storm went down like this.

I am speeding home from work, hubby is behind me in the new truck...

I get home and it's round one (pea sized) of the hail, I throw a box I had in my car over my head and run to everything that can cover something, grab it and cover the tomatoes and most of the peppers.

Then I look for more covers and hubby gets home and screams at me from the deck "Are you *&^$#$& crazy, get in the house!" And I say "Come help me and it won't take so long!" Round One ends..

I continue to cover what ever I can on the lower beds Round two (ping pong sized) I run in the house looking for my tarp for the pyramid bed and hubby put it away Evil or Very Mad and cant remember where! I am about in tears because he can't remember where the %^&&$$^&& tarp is. I run out and cover what I can then hop in the truck soaking wet (the plan was to come home and cover the plants then get the truck out of town)

Round three... Golf ball sized hail, ugh, got stuck in traffic because the tourists don't know how to drive in the rain, if they had only knew what we were driving away from they would have driven too, lol.

That was the first unexpected hail of the season and it wa not good, things are still looking pretty ugly out there. The potatoes and lettuce are bouncing back a bit though! I have some squares needing replacing though... But that's how I prepare, it's not pretty, lol.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/14/2012, 11:47 am

I can relate Very Happy
In my dreams I have covered the whole garden with an open mesh that would not shade too much but would break up or at least slow or deflect hail. Then in hte fall I could cover it with plastic film. Dreams....... all it needs is money and time and convincing DH.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/14/2012, 12:46 pm

If we had really low deductibles for our car/house insurance it would probably never hail Razz
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 6/14/2012, 1:58 pm

This sounds like a perfect place to have heavy duty plastic rolled up beside the boxes and PVC hoops over all beds. Then later the plastic would do double duty for light frost protection. Then you can pull and clip a bed at a time. Would give you more time for the trellised crops.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/15/2012, 12:53 am

That's a great idea, I am working on a plan for next year but I sadly have cut myself off for any more materials this year. I have something in mind (if my parents don't beat me to it, they are more concerned about it than me, lol) And if I can find the right stuff I think it's going to look nice too! You sure do know your stuff Kay! Thanks for all the help!

Also fun news, I must be doing something right, I was out planting some more peppers and tomatoes today and..... I have 3 tomatoes on the lemon boy and 1 pepper on a mystery pepper (I think a bell)!!! I have never ever had them on this early in the season before! Wow MM and SFG continue to amaze me!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/16/2012, 4:03 pm

Lol, the boys had tennis this morning and I found myself with an hour to burn in town. Somehow I ended up in the garden center down the road and came out with an Aneheim pepper plant and walla walla onion transplants...Oh and golden beets and purple bush beans. Guess I should mention the okra as well Razz
All planted except for the okra which I'm on my way to get in now!

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 6/16/2012, 4:08 pm

Well, we know who the garden junkies are now... Wink Any one building more boxes this weekend? Very Happy

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/16/2012, 5:00 pm

I think I'm done for the season. Razz

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/18/2012, 10:36 am

I'm done too, until next year....

Rooster that made me laugh out loud, I had to run out to our local nursery and pay for a hanging basket for the coffee shop and hubby has wanted me to pick him out another fast tomato plant. So I looked around and that darn early girl ended up costing $26.00 Wink , lol, along with the dahlias, zinnias, daisies, and cherry peppers that came with it!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 6/18/2012, 10:46 am

Lol, cheyanne Razz I also ended up planting 4 buckets of tomatoes yesterday darn funny

My wife:
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 671790

just kidding. my wife is very supportive.

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/18/2012, 11:38 am

Today I am Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 601593 hmmm, where to plant all these tomatos. Last night we got to eat 2 from the patio plant, yum.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 6/18/2012, 12:13 pm

Wowzer a ripe tomato in June! Lucky you Very Happy

I planted in various pots those 9 tomatoes and put a trellis over them draped with plastic. That is going to need a little more work hopefully before a wind storm.

The grocery store has a end of season sale on plants right now. I only came home with lupines, columbine, scabiosa Rolling Eyes

I think some one here asked what was orach once? Here is a orach level view of the garden. This is the one I am letting go to seed.
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 12-jun14

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/18/2012, 1:21 pm

Yes Turan, ripe in June but it wasn't my self started tomatoes it was a patio plant I bought at Menards a while back, there was 2 tomatoes on it and I couldn't just leave it sitting there (Now it has 4 more). I bought one more a few weeks ago from a little nursery with really nice plants, it was a gallon tumbler and had about 40 cherry tomatoes on it (it was $7.00 so I feel like we already got the monies worth and the first one is turning red now. With our shorter season we get impatient and pick a few of these up every year to keep us happy until the real tomatoes start to produce!

That is a good pic!Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/19/2012, 12:34 am

So I planted a bunch of tomatoes today and still had about 5/6 on the porch when I went to town and cough, hmm accidentally stumbled into the greenhouse cough... Well I came home with 2 more tomatoes, a flat of petunias and butternut squash and maybe a few more flowers... yikes. Found homes for almost everybody sooo far but having trouble with the petunias (they were big, beautiful, and ON SALE)Laughing
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/25/2012, 2:15 pm

I am on bug patrol today, found several different sets of eggs. Wondering how many leaves I can turn over today, lol. Any of these look familiar to you?

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t13027-eggs-on-pepper-leaves#129287

I also took some pics of my first peas, zukes, first tiny tim tomatoes, and flowering canteloupes!
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Dsc_0070

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Dsc_0066

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Dsc_0067

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 4 Dsc_0069
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 6/25/2012, 7:40 pm

Have been eating lettuces, spinach and swiss chard out of the garden for several weeks now. Got a few radishes too. Got the last of the trellises up for the cukes and squashes.

My peas are vining nicely and blooming and the green beans are finding their way up the webbing too. My turnips have big leaves but don't seem to have much actual turnips yet. I will leave them to grow longer.

Does anyone know how long it takes potatoes to flower? My potato plants are about 11/2-2 ft tall and I'm sure hoping there is a lot of activity going on below the surface!

Hope everyone else are having great gardening! Very Happy
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next