Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

+17
southern gardener
GWN
Boz
llama momma
boffer
Momof5Js
camprn
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Goosegirl
grammy
efirvin
snibb
Triciasgarden
Turan
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
21 posters

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  Turan 8/23/2012, 11:21 pm

I love watching deer but jeesh they can be nuisances! So sorry about the havoc they play in your gardens.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  cheyannarach 8/24/2012, 12:40 am

No kidding Turan, it would be much cuter if it was a fawn instead of a big mule buck. It's too bad the licenses have been handed out and poaching is frowned upon, lol.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 8/27/2012, 3:45 pm

Thanks Cheyanne and Rooster!
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/27/2012, 3:56 pm

Last night I thought I was going to die... I trimmed all the beets them took a load of them out to my compost pile it was about 11:00 pm and pitch black I stepped up on this rock a started to dump out my bag of beet greens and something came running at me, I froze and thought it's too bad my husband and kids have to find my carcass in the yard in the morning. The running stopped turned around and all I could hear was the unmistakable mulie pounce... Don't they ever go to bed, now I am missing a few small canteloupes.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 8/27/2012, 4:32 pm

I find that pretty frightening. I like country living much better in the daytime. It's in the back of my mind somethings going to chew on me at night.. I enjoy meteor showers but while I'm looking up it's just perfect for something to sneak up and take a bite. Shocked or a barn cat comes along rubs and makes me jump.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/27/2012, 8:52 pm

Me too, I have two outdoor cats that have made me pee myself several times affraid
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/27/2012, 10:19 pm

My son in law has tried many deer deterients and the only thing he has found to be consistantly effective is a 6 ft electric fence.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/11/2012, 12:43 pm

It is supposed to frost and it feels cold this morning so I did some picking of things that are especially sensitive.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 12-sep13

Marty is talking about making a squash blossom coconut milk curry for tonight. What ever basil he does not use I will freeze, some as leaves and some as pesto depending on the time factor.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/12/2012, 1:25 am

Great pictures Turan! Stinking frosts Mad anyways! Well my garden is almost non existant after yesterday, they got into my tomato cages and ate EVERYTHING, they ate all my canteloupes, ENTIRE PUMPKINS, Evil or Very Mad . About the only thing they haven't destroyed are my sweet potatoes (probably will find them tonight) and my lincoln peas I fall planted a month ago. So on the bright side my compost pile is much bigger. Me and the kids emptied out almost all the beds yesterday! I have the day off tomorrow so I will be planting some new things in the plant inn on the back upper deck with no stairs, muaahahahaha, try to get them veggies deer.

Forgot to mention that we did get one last bucket of produce picked before we "cleaned house". About 4 small spaghetti squash, 1 large one, a few turnips, some carrots, and the last green pepper of the year!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/13/2012, 10:56 am

I was out cleaning up a tomato/pepper bed and found one more green pepper. Very Happy
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 9/13/2012, 5:38 pm

Cheyanne, that would scare the s__t out of me!! And thats terrible they had a banquet off of your garden. I know we have been dealing with drought but those critters could go chew on a neighbor's grass or something. Glad you were able to salvage some veggies.

Turan, your harvest looks great! The curry meal sounds good!

I have fought aphids like crazy for the last month! My garden is being eaten alive! I have used a gallon of soap bug spray but I can't keep ahead of them. My poor green beans have very few leaves but they keep growing new little leaves. So the stalks are good but the leaves are mostly missing.
Little white flying bugs are on my cukes, zukes, yellow squash and acorn squashes. Drives me crazy!
I didn't get a good harvest from most of my veggies this first year of sfg. That is disappointing. I hope to improve my MM with compost from my new composter! Hoping for a better harvest next year.
Happy harvesting to all,
Evelyn from zone 4 Wyoming
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/14/2012, 10:51 pm

Bummer Evelyn, I understand about being disappointed, I had lots of plans for pickled beets, salsa and canned tomatoes, and all I have are pickled beets and dilly beans after what the deer left me! We will just have to keep on learning and figure out how to deal with all of our darn pests!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 9/15/2012, 7:54 pm

Aww jeez, I am sorry your guys got pests.....

I wonder if the aphids and white flys would be helped by growing lots of stuff like yarrow and bolting cilantro and other flowers that beneficial insects like. Maybe even buying some of them sp you are sure you have a good population.

I am also clearing up beds. Broccoli and peas and raab and bok choi and tomatoes still producing. Also making a new bed and rearranging stuff.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 9/16/2012, 5:20 pm

Cheyanne, I had hopes of putting up beets also but that didn't happen. I am getting so few squashes that I ended up buying a box full of zukes and yellow squash so I had something to put in the freezer! Definitely have to work on a plan to keep the bugs out next year!

Thanks Turan. Yes, I need to plan for good and bad bugs next year. Such is the life of a gardener!
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 9/19/2012, 11:19 am

Today I am planting the Egyptian walking onions that I got from Turan cheers Thanks again!! I am also going to plant some garlic (just stuff I bought at the grocery store, nothing fancy).
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/10/2012, 10:02 am

I had a fun suprise the other day, we were out cleaning the yard up and I got to looking around some of my beds that have been bare for awhile now, I had forgotten about some tendersweet carrots (2 squares), the deer had been eating down the tops all summer so there wasn't much left above ground but when I dug down I found a bunch of beautiful little carrots, their growth was severly stunted from the darn deer eating the tops but they delicious. I also still have lettuce, peas, and radishes in the plant in! I sure will be nice to have fresh salad on Thanksgiving!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/10/2012, 10:43 am

Nice Cheyanne, I also got a lettuce surprise in one of my beds yesterday. I had completely forgotten about planting some Red Sails Lettuce back in August! It has gone through lots of overnight freezes and a couple of snows and looks wonderful! Very Happy

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 11/10/2012, 1:32 pm

What nice surprises! I wonder what I will find when this foot of snow leaves, if it leaves before Thanksgiving Rolling Eyes
I think there is a few bokchoi and radishes and probably kale leaves.

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/12/2012, 10:38 am

Let's hope the snow melts Turan! Some nice fresh goodies for Thanksgiving sounds wonderful! This will be the first year I have ever had garden fresh goodies in November!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 11/12/2012, 11:14 am

I know I am just out of the Western Mountains & High Plains, but just barely! Saturday when I was scooping up leaves to pile onto my beds for the winter I found some green carrot tops hiding under the dead tomato plants. I still have some carrots I can dig! Looking forward to seeing how big they are and how sweet they are now that we have some freezing weather.

GG/N&C MidWest
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/12/2012, 6:36 pm

Ooh yay, carrots get sweeter when they get a little freeze! Wow fresh salad for Thanksgiving!

I do have to tell this story. One year when doing the old way of gardening I had not pulled all the lettuce that had bolted and it went to seed. In the very early spring the next year I was going to switch over to sfg and went out to my garden area. The lettuce seeds had started growing without any effort on my part and much earlier than I would have planted. The seeds did not get covered with any dirt unless it blew onto them and the seeds did not get covered to protect them from freezing. We had a typical winter of snow and freezing weather. The lettuce was spread over about a 3' x 2' area if memory serves me correctly and it was very dense. I would pull some plants out to thin them and eat some then or make a salad later. As time went on I did water them some and kept pulling and eating.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/12/2012, 6:47 pm

Nice thing about that winter sown lettuce. I do believe that lettuce needs light for germination. When I sow lettuce seed I usually sprinkle the little seeds on top then just press on them. Very Happy Maybe I will try sowing some seed before the snow comes.
What a Face

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 9 Empty Something green among the snow

Post  efirvin 11/13/2012, 3:17 pm

cheyannarach wrote:I had a fun suprise the other day, I had forgotten about some tendersweet carrots (2 squares), the deer had been eating down the tops all summer so there wasn't much left above ground but when I dug down I found a bunch of beautiful little carrots. I also still have lettuce, peas, and radishes in the plant in! I sure will be nice to have fresh salad on Thanksgiving!

I have some late sown carrots still growing in snow covered beds. Also green onions and parsley. Time will tell how long they survive out there. It got down to -8 Saturday night!
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 11/13/2012, 4:34 pm

Wow that's awesome! Green onions and parsley too! I just used up the last of my onions this weekend Sad and I never got any parsley because the mulies beat me to it Evil or Very Mad.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 11/13/2012, 6:01 pm

All are from seeds and I'm surprised they are still growing!
efirvin
efirvin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next