Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Toplef10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 I22gcj10Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

+17
southern gardener
GWN
Boz
llama momma
boffer
Momof5Js
camprn
walshevak
FamilyGardening
Goosegirl
grammy
efirvin
snibb
Triciasgarden
Turan
RoOsTeR
cheyannarach
21 posters

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  GWN 7/23/2012, 11:54 pm

HMMM Thai hot pepper cyclops ?? Looks like beets to me....just sayin
Cheyannarach, we have similar deer problem and have built a fence this year AND have the motion sensor sprinkler which seems to work well.(called scarecrow)
I think that the dog helps as well.
SO sad to see it all go to deer who could really eat anything... Sad
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Empty Re: Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today?

Post  cheyannarach 7/24/2012, 12:00 am

Oh, I read about a sprinkler system before, I may have to revisit this idea. The deer here are so stupid (or smart thinking ) I can't even scare them away screaming and throwing rocks at them. The neighbor down the hill from us feeds them by hand and I am guessing it makes matters worse for me...
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 7/26/2012, 12:41 pm

Blooming cilantro. I am still picking lower leaves off it, though I have another square also ready to be harvested from and today I seeded one more square. I would of pulled these blooming plants but the beneficial insects love them so, and they are pretty.
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 12-jul23

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Click for weather forecast
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/30/2012, 7:24 pm

This is what I did today Very Happy

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Dsc_0094

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Dsc_0095
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  southern gardener 7/30/2012, 7:47 pm

looks good Cheyenne! nice job
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 7/30/2012, 10:12 pm

southern gardener wrote:looks good Cheyenne! nice job

Thanks so much! Me and the little ones just got done shelling about 5 lbs of peas too!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/2/2012, 12:50 pm

At last I have an eggplant and a pepper! Still picking peas and broccoli sprouts. cheers
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 12-aug10

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/2/2012, 8:11 pm

Very nice Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 3170584802

I'll have to snap a picture when I go back out this evening to button up chores. I think I have okra Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 3759993749

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/3/2012, 12:22 am

Turan, your broccoli makes me drool! I am still waiting for my broccoli to broccoli but my cauliflower is cauliflowering cheers (except it's purple and white is that normal?). You all have convinced me to try eggplant next year too!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/3/2012, 1:05 pm

I have never raised cauliflower because my DH dislikes it as too bland. I think purpling means you have sun reaching the heads and it is not completely blanched. I bet they would have more flavor that way.
Hopefully some one who actually has raised the stuff will now tell us what! Laughing

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/3/2012, 2:22 pm

That would make sense. The deer have eaten most of the covering leaves.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/8/2012, 7:56 pm

Went out today and pulled some of the plants that no longer stand a chance thanks to the darn deer. But I planted thickly about 12 squares of beets hoping to get a bunch to pickle before it's too late, I also experimented and planted some peas to see what I can get before it gets too darn cold! Yeterday my first sunflower "woke up" cheers I have 2 others that I am hoping to make it before the deer snack on them too. My 6 year old picked a small bucket of sweet 100's and tiny tims, and my saucing toms are starting to ripen, yay! Here are a few pics from the other day!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Dsc_0011
My sweet baby watermelons seem to be doing great!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Dsc_0012
Canteloupes are moving right along!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Dsc_0013
His favorite part of gardening! Picking tomatoes!

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Dsc_0014
My sad lonely sunflowers, I have cut a few more down since this was taken Evil or Very Mad
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 8/12/2012, 2:29 pm

Cute picker there Cheyanne!

Yesterday I pulled my garlic and first planting or red onions. The garlic is biggest ever and i seemed to have planted it the deepest ever too. I then planted those areas in bok choi and carrots. Where the carrot week carrots were I planted raab and that is up.

We are getting beans and tomatoes now, especially the Purple Cherokee, I am really likeing those that is a repeater.

No cucumber yet..... They are blooming like crazy and the garden hummmmmms with bees but no cukes yet. We are leaving on vacation so I assume the cukes will set fruit and grow huge and stop blooming while I am gone. That is a corollary to Murphys Law Laughing

Turan
Turan

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/13/2012, 1:51 pm

Haha Turan, never fails! My cukes are being stubborn as well, hope they start kicking soon before it cools down!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  efirvin 8/13/2012, 4:12 pm

My tomatoes are turning red finally. Picked 6 today! Squashes have started setting fruit, now that there are more bees pollinating. The acorn squash is blooming and has 1 small fruit so far. Havested 2 yellow squash today.
Picked 1 cuke and there are plenty of blooms.
My pole beans are beginning to bloom!! And the aphids are after them and the cukes. Dang bugs! I'm not sharing my veggies!

What does everyone use for insecticides? I have used some Sevin dust but also try to use soap insectide as much as possible. Anyone have a recipe for making my own soap insecticide?

Happy harvesting to all!
Evelyn from zone 4 Wyoming
efirvin
efirvin

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Empty Harvesting!!

Post  RoOsTeR 8/18/2012, 10:55 am

What's everyone harvesting in our region? I'm finally starting to see some fruits of my labor Cool Squash is going crazy. Cucumbers are just not doing well at all. My peppers are hit or miss. Some of them are finally pulling through for me, but they've been very slow in growing and producing. My beans are great, and I've got lot's and lot's of tomatoes that I'm just hoping turn before we get to cold. Eggplants are wonderful and soon I'll be pulling some golden beets that look great...to bad I don't like beets tongue Lettuces are coming around and I think I've had enough radishes for the year lol. Chard...well I'm hoping since the temps are a little cooler it won't be as bitter. Most of it has been donated to the chickens, ducks, and compost bin Very Happy

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 20120818_082659
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 20120818_082711
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 20120818_082503
Lol, a couple of my patty pans got missed and grew a bit large cyclops I prefer them much smaller!
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 20120818_082648

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/18/2012, 11:09 am

Those pattipans look intruiging, how do you prepare them?

Evelyn cheers Finally. I saw a recipe for insecticidal soap somewhere here on the forum, I will do some digging and try to find it for you! Glad you are finally enjoying some tomatoes!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/18/2012, 11:15 am

Evelyn Finally. I saw a recipe for insecticidal soap somewhere here on the forum, I will do some digging and try to find it for you! Glad you are finally enjoying some tomatoes!

Look in Outside The Box: Household and Garden Recipes forum Very Happy

Those pattipans look intruiging, how do you prepare them?

My favorite way is to slice fairly thick or 1/4 them. Toss in a bowl with EVO, salt and pepper and onto the grill. I'm going to attempt some patty pickles also Cool :
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t2927p15-pickle-recipes#137181

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/18/2012, 1:22 pm

Thanks for the info Rooster, I love grilled veggies! May have to give it a shot next year.

Evelyn, thanks to Rooster here is a link to make your own insect sprays!

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t12855-can-you-make-bug-spray-for-your-garden
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/18/2012, 6:18 pm

Alrighty, I am set to can some dilly beans and either a jar of spaghetti sauce or salsa... Not sure which one yet.
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 8/20/2012, 7:39 am

I made pickles yesterday from all the patty pan squash I've been getting. The ones on the right are bread and butter pickles and the ones on the left have a bit of Asian flare with lemon peel, ginger and dried chili's.
Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 20120819_142202

RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 8/20/2012, 8:07 am

Nice! Let me know how those work out. The patty pan is a bit sturdier than other varieties of summer squash and I am curious how the texture stands up to pickling.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Western Mountain High Plains What are you doing in your gardens today? - Page 8 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/22/2012, 10:06 pm

Awesome Rooster!

Today I came home from work to find 3 tomato plants that were loaded with ripe/ripening sauce tomatoes destroyed completely by the deer, so instead of making salsa I went and picked every thing I could before they got even more. A decent haul, I got a couple pounds of red pontiacs and yukon golds from 3 squares. The suspense was killing me, I still have 6 squares left to dig up Very Happy . I got about a dozen small onions the deer had eaten down to about 2 inches. A dozen small beets, a canteloupe the size of a baseball (the deer ate on of these too), a zucchini, some sweet 100s and Jubilee tomatoes, 2 baby bells, 5 beans Razz these are the first to survive the deer feasts, and one large turnip. My fall peas are coming in nicely but I am having a heck of a time getting the beets to germinate thinking
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  elysia 8/23/2012, 6:50 pm

ugh...the deer got almost all of my tomatoes too! I feel your pain!
elysia
elysia

Female Posts : 76

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/23/2012, 10:44 pm

elysia wrote:ugh...the deer got almost all of my tomatoes too! I feel your pain!

Sad I'm sorry!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next