Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Toplef10A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem I22gcj10A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Toplef10A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem I22gcj10A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/4/2024, 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma 8/30/2024, 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem

+2
choksaw
daisyhill
6 posters

Go down

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Empty A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem

Post  daisyhill 4/8/2010, 6:11 am

I would have preferred to add this to the original thread, but it's locked so I can't!

I've got a suggestion as a workaround for the problem with the main site blocking users who don't have the latest version of Flash, or don't have it at all. As I've seen, there is a page that says, "You don't have Flash, you must upgrade," or words to that effect. Could you add a link to the forum index page at the bottom of that warning page? The forums do work (for me, at least) and it would mean people could still access useful information rather than being turned away at the front door as they are right now.

What do you think, is this change feasible?
daisyhill
daisyhill

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Empty Re: A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem

Post  choksaw 4/8/2010, 1:21 pm

A link to the adobe website where people can get the flash upgrade?
choksaw
choksaw

Male Posts : 459

Back to top Go down

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Empty Re: A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem

Post  timwardell 4/8/2010, 2:25 pm

I believe she means a link directly to the Forum.
As in https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/
This would allow people access to information via the forum instead of being denied anything (as they are now if they don't have a browser that supports flash).
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/8/2010, 2:30 pm

LOL I thought they were talking about having two different links on the bottom of the page for two different reasons! This talking without using my hands is HARD!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/8/2010, 3:06 pm

daisyhill wrote:I would have preferred to add this to the original thread, but it's locked so I can't!

I've got a suggestion as a workaround for the problem with the main site blocking users who don't have the latest version of Flash, or don't have it at all. As I've seen, there is a page that says, "You don't have Flash, you must upgrade," or words to that effect. Could you add a link to the forum index page at the bottom of that warning page? The forums do work (for me, at least) and it would mean people could still access useful information rather than being turned away at the front door as they are right now.

What do you think, is this change feasible?

This is a great idea. I am not sure as to how to implement this as that message comes from Adobe, but I will look into it. Thanks! A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Icon_biggrin
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  daisyhill 4/8/2010, 6:38 pm

I took another look at the page (http://www.squarefootgardening.com/noflashhtml) - looks like it's created by whoever your web provider is (wix.com?) so you might not be able to access it from whatever the normal editor is. However you may well be able to add the link if you can access that page via FTP and edit it directly. I'm sure they have come up against this problem before, and there's bound to be a workaround if you can just find the right file to change! A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Icon_study
daisyhill
daisyhill

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

A suggestion for the non-Flash support problem Empty Shocked by new website

Post  dmuir 4/11/2010, 2:02 am

I was rather shocked this morning when I visited the SFG website to learn that the standards-compliant website had been ditched for a Flash site. I can't fathom why this decision was made, as it makes the site inaccessible to so many users. Aside from the iPhone and iPad not being able to view the site (and thanks to Apple's new developer agreement, never will be able to), it is also inaccessible to people using screen readers and other assistive technologies. I am not a lawyer, but it seems that Flash-only sites in general do not comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act 1990.

It also breaks the following:
The ability for search engines to index the site (you'll want this fixed if you want more visitors!)
Browser navigation features: bookmarks, search, tabs, etc

Now for some constructive criticism, as I'm aware a lot of time was spent on the new site.
1. Add the ability to search the site. Information is too hard to find otherwise. (not sure if this is even possible with the way the site is set up)
2. Make at least the main navigation bar HTML, so different sections can be opened in new tabs. (pet peeve of mine)
3. Port at least parts of the site to HTML so they're accessible again. It doesn't have to be done in one fell swoop, just start with the navigation bar, and work your way from there.
OR:
4. Have the old website accessible to those who can't use the new site.

The only time you should be using Flash is for things that are not possible with current web standards. These days, that basically means cartoons and games, and to a lesser extent video/audio.

Cheers,
David
dmuir

Back to top Go down

Post  SFGHQSTAFF 4/12/2010, 12:00 pm

Hello Everyone,
Thank you for your great suggestions. I am working on getting all the issues fixed. The site is now Searchable by the search engines(SEO) I have made each main section separate for bookmarks and such. I want to set up a standard HTML site as I do know the limitations of Flash(which I am finding ways to overcome!). All I ask is for your patience. Thanks. Alan
SFGHQSTAFF
administrator
administrator

Male Posts : 263

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 4/15/2010, 7:41 pm

The boss says he's workin' on it; that's good enough for me!

This thread is closed.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7370

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down