Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! Toplef10HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! I22gcj10HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! Toplef10HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! I22gcj10HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?!

3 posters

Go down

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! Empty HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?!

Post  givvmistamps 4/28/2012, 12:43 pm

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 471599 HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 471599
Okay, this wasn't there last night, I know, because we were (finally) getting the Borax out to treat the ant problem. (More on that later.) We suddenly have a ground wasp (I think that's what it is) establishing a nest not 5 feet from the screened porch door, and 2 feet from my pumpkins! Everything I've heard about these creatures is unappealing, to say the least. I've heard that they are very territorial, and sting with little provocation. affraid What I've seen so far says they can fly faster than man can run by a long shot, and now my boys don't want anything to do with the back yard! Evil or Very Mad The other thing I've heard is, once they have a nest built, the only way to get rid of them is by pouring gasoline down the hole and igniting it...NOT and option for an organic garden!!! Not to mention it's proximity to my house! It's also exactly where we want to build a flower bed.

SO, I'm turning to my friends here, hoping that you will have an organic solution to my husband's willingness to build the Southern Bomb... I will also be Googling this to see what I can find out about it... HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 34617

But before I go, I mentioned the ants... We sprinkled Borax on the anthills we found in the back yard and my son sprayed each pile with water... I can now report that we see a tiny fraction of the ants that we've seen in previous days, even for such a hot day as this. HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! 233716 We're definitely pleased!
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! Empty Re: HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?!

Post  camprn 4/28/2012, 12:44 pm

Can you snap and post a photo of the critter in question? It would help to know for sure what you are dealing with. I am sure about the gasoline being not the best remedy...

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/28/2012, 12:55 pm

It flies extremely fast and has not lit on anything so I could get a photo. I'm searching the internet now, so perhaps I can find a photo of this thing. I know that there's a ground-nesting bee that's not dangerous, but this thing just seems too aggressive in it's flight patterns to seem like a bee to me. It also appears to have a narrow place between head and abdomen.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

HELP!!! Ground Wasp?!?! Empty Photo of nest opening

Post  givvmistamps 4/28/2012, 1:27 pm

Okay, the bee, wasp, whatever it is, seems to be off looking for food because I haven't seen it in a while. I've looked at photos of the Cicada Killers (a wasp) common to our region, and this thing isn't that big. Those are not aggressive stingers, and from what I've read they might seem scary but aren't something to worry about. The thing we have is smaller, but I haven't been able to identify it yet. Here's a photo of it's nest:
Ground nest
I'll keep looking for a positive ID, or watch to see if I can get a photo of the thing.
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Daniel9999 4/28/2012, 1:46 pm

You may wanna check out the University of Florida extension website here to help you identify your bee/wasp.

http://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/Pest_ID/biting_and_stinging/

From what I have read you most likely have either the Eastern yellowjacket, Vespula maculifrons, or Southern yellowjacket, Vespula squamosa (Drury) described in the link here as they are the only two species of wasp that make ground nests in Florida.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/in238

Its recommended to spray the nest at night (when the nest is less active) with a insecticide containing a fast acting Pyrethrum based product (which is organic) while wearing some some form of protective clothing (CAUTION these insects will swarm you once you start attacking the nest!).

I would recommended you not try to treat the problem yourself and hire a professional to handle it just to be safe.
Daniel9999
Daniel9999

Back to top Go down

Post  givvmistamps 4/28/2012, 2:13 pm

Thanks Daniel! I hadn't come across those sites yet.

I think the yellowjacket matches what I saw. I guess it's time to call our pest management folks out...it's almost time for the annual renewal of our termite coverage, so we can make the appointment for that when we ask for help with this. If it weren't so darn close to the garden and back door, I wouldn't be bothered by this. They chose a really inconvenient spot! Now my boys will be scared to go out to the garden until they're gone. Evil or Very Mad
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum