Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Toplef10Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? I22gcj10Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Toplef10Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? I22gcj10Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically?

+8
Goosegirl
dawn.kropp.1
Dunkinjean
walshevak
AesSedai
mschaef
morganfam7
bparkdar
12 posters

Go down

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Empty Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically?

Post  bparkdar 3/16/2012, 3:34 pm

I have seeds for cantaloupe, mini and regular pumpkins, and watermelon (that gets up to 100 lbs). They say to plant 4-6 seeds 3" apart in hills. Does that mean that even though they are vining, I can't plant them vertically on a support? And if I can, do I have to plant them next to each other in a row?
bparkdar
bparkdar

Back to top Go down

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Empty Re: Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically?

Post  morganfam7 3/16/2012, 3:43 pm

I can't really answer this well because I haven't completely read the ANSFG, but the old one had you planting, I want to say, 3 per square along an outside edge. Then train them up vertically and slinging the melons. I remember it saying to choose the smaller icebox versions of the melons, though, and to sling them with something like old pantyhose. I don't know if that helped you at all. Maybe some of the experts will come along and tell you the right way. Very Happy Just wanted to mention the icebox varieties, though, before you plant.
morganfam7
morganfam7

Female Posts : 111

Back to top Go down

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Empty Re:planting vertically

Post  mschaef 3/16/2012, 7:20 pm

I grew the both dwarf and jackolanter pumpkins vertically but I had the plants spaces 1 plant per two the squares. I would put the roots in one and then lay the vine down to promote a great root base for my plants. Now that I think of it I did my watermelon the same way, 1 plant per 2 squares. Hope that this helps!!
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Empty Re: Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically?

Post  AesSedai 3/16/2012, 10:50 pm

- I'm trying to grow going to grow watermelon and cantaloupe this year too. The ANSFG suggests growing them each at a density of 1 per 2 square feet (might seed a few more initially, but thin to that much once they are established). So, I'm going with that and using a nylon netting trellis for both of them to share (I might carefully reinforce this mid-summer, due to my location and the brutal heat that destroyed my netting last year).

Also from what I've gleaned, cantaloupe may eventually need a sling for the fruit, I think primarily because they will drop from their stems when ripe. But if I recall correctly, in the ANSFG Mel says that the melon's stems will naturally thicken enough to be able to support the fruit when grown vertically.. so, as long as the trellis can support the weight then it should work out well.

Best of luck with your growings Very Happy
AesSedai
AesSedai

Male Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/17/2012, 12:01 am

Cantaloupe and sugar babies are in my seed basket this year. Built an extra bed just to save for them.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Dunkinjean 3/17/2012, 1:30 pm

In the past I have grown pumpkin vertically and has worked fine.

This year I am also trying Sugar Baby Watermelon along with Butternut Squash for the 1st time.

Best of luck to everyone!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Empty Pumpkin and Cantaloupe

Post  dawn.kropp.1 6/10/2012, 5:13 pm

I have planted only 1 pumpkin and 1 cantaloupe in my SFG. Along with green beans, corn, squash, zucchini and lot of other veggies. Will the pumpkin and cantaloupe produce fruit? Or do I need more than 1 in the SFG?

Thanks
dawn.kropp.1
dawn.kropp.1

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/10/2012, 8:12 pm

Dunkinjean wrote:In the past I have grown pumpkin vertically and has worked fine.

This year I am also trying Sugar Baby Watermelon along with Butternut Squash for the 1st time.

Best of luck to everyone!

I did Sugar Baby Watermelons vertically last year:

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Sugar_11

It was successful, so I am getting ambitious this year - doing Seminole Pumpkins and Rich Sweetness Melons vertically.

GG

Last edited by Goosegirl on 6/10/2012, 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling)
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/10/2012, 9:42 pm

Thanks to Goosegirls pics awhile back I bought some sugar baby watermelon seeds and planted all my transplants out a few days ago, I also have earlisweet canteloupe, pickling cukes, straight eight cukes, and spaghetti squash going up cattle panel arches. I am new to trellising them but thanks to everyones pics and success stories I am choosing to just have a little faith that they will all work out! Later when they near ripening I may support them with some nylons but I grew mine a 1 per square foot, I may be pushing the bounderies a bit but with so much less work in the garden thanks to ANSFG I am looking for work, lol. Good luck with your melons!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Female Posts : 2037

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/10/2012, 9:46 pm

Cheyanne - I never did have to use slings for my Sugar Babies. I know some people have had to, but the stems on mine seemed to thicken up as the melon got heavier.

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/10/2012, 10:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up GG, I am mostly wondering about the canteloupe because it is full size! Are you doing them again this year?
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 6/10/2012, 10:16 pm

I am not doing watermelons this year. I am doing the Seminole Pumpkins on one trellis (4 squares), and Rich Sweetness Melons on another trellis (another 4 squares). Cantaloupes are denser than watermelons, even tho' the size of a large cantaloupe is about the same as a Sugar Baby watermelon. You may need slings for those babies! My Rich Sweetness melons are only supposed to be 1/4 lb each, one making a good single serving. Supposed to be a very prolific producer, so here's hoping!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/10/2012, 10:54 pm

Ohhhh, I may have to try those rich sweetness melons next year, they sound very intruiging! I was browsing seeds the other night and stumbled on a peach melon, a melon the size of a peach that tastes like a peach/mango. I want to try those next year too but they were from Reimer seeds and didn't have grow zone info so I need to look into it before I buy! That's what I was thinking with the watermelon vs canteloupe slings I will be sure to take lots of pictures and keep you updated! At least we know we don't have to sling malibar spinach!!! Thanks again!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  hruten 6/11/2012, 6:55 am

Cheyannarach... I have some of those they are Vine Peach Cantaloupe.

I got a packet free from burgess a couple of years ago. They are not germinating well (I think some of the websites said about 60%), but everything I read says that they are vigorous growers. I haven't gotten one to successfully sprout yet, but am working on it. The fruit has mixed reviews and people say it is best for jams and mixed pies.

on another note, I have a sugar baby and a sugar pie pumpkin I'm trellising. I accidentally broke my zucchini stem while trying to trellis it:x , so hopefully the flowers in the bottom will make lots. This is my first year for such efforts and I can't wait until harvest season!
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 11:12 am

Good to know hruten, I think on this website it said the germation rate was 85%. I wonder if maybe they are a warmer climate fruit did yours have info on the grow zone? Are the others climbing up the trellis yet? I would love to see pics sometime!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  hruten 6/11/2012, 6:52 pm

Honestly, I just kept googling vine peach cantaloupe until I came up with the info. Here is what I put on my plant table for information. Prefers outdoor start 2 weeks after frost. 7-14 days to germination, 80 days to harvest. That's about it other than some people love it and others hated it. My daughter loves mango and I was really trying it for her. I still hope to get at least one plant.

My cukes are just now beginning to vine. I planted some more this week to hopefully stagger the harvest. I also planted some more VP cantaloupe seeds. On that note, I set rodent traps around them to deter my friendly chipmunks! Here are my "gardens".

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 100_0310

left to right is pumpkin (trailing over the side) then a bush cuke and a sugar baby watermelon (still small not trailing yet) then there are 2 zuchinni plants, peas, tomatoes and 3 potato containers. Above is some Kale, swiss chard, leeks, tomato, and 3 peppers. There's also more tomatoes, peppers, garlic, marigolds, etc.Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 100_0311

This box has cukes in 2 squares along the back. My spinach is done and needs replanting. My broccoli is paltry, but not too bad since last time it didn't even last a week Wink Gardening is about getting better not about the food right? This is my 1st year sfging. I have definite plans for next year!!
hruten
hruten

Female Posts : 159

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 6/11/2012, 7:10 pm

Thanks for the info! I might give them a shot! Your garden looks great!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/7/2012, 12:47 am

how long after seeing a baby fruit does it take to mature?

this is what ours is looking like.....we are in the PNW and only have *maybe* three weeks of hot weather left before it starts to cool down......i dont want my children getting their hopes up if our small babies dont have enough time to grow large enough to eat....we do have some growing out side and some growing in our small green house....

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? Dscf0043

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  cheyannarach 8/7/2012, 2:22 am

Rose, what is it you are growing? It looks like a wiatermelon or canteloupe from the flower. I am thinking you will be pushing it for time to ripen. I would try to get it covered as it starts to cool down if I were you and give it as much special attention as it needs! Good luck Rose!
cheyannarach
cheyannarach

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/7/2012, 5:05 am

sorry Embarassed forgot to say its a canteloupe

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 8/7/2012, 8:26 am

I just saw a website that said cantaloupe requires 35 - 45 days from flower to harvest. So you may get something! I would say try covering them when it cools down to help them stay warm enough.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 8/7/2012, 5:56 pm

From my son's "pond" bed garden in Wilmington, NC. Grown on a cantalevered trellis.

Planting Cantaloupe/Watermelon/Pumpkin Vertically? 56288210

He said it tasted really sweet.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 8/8/2012, 1:03 am

littlesapphire thanks for the info.....two of canteloupe pots are in our small green house....growing up a trellis....we have one pot outside growing up a trellis too....not to far up yet....but they all do have some tiny fruit.....you just never know here in the pnw

walshevak let your son know i said well done!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down