Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Toplef10March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal I22gcj10March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Toplef10March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal I22gcj10March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal

+2
Beav395
Chopper
6 posters

Go down

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Empty March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal

Post  Chopper 2/29/2012, 4:16 pm

Oh boy oh boy. It is the start of the summer veggie planting season, if you haven't already started. And I hope not because it got quite cold the other night. I saw snow in the hills west of Lake Elsinore yesterday and I never see snow there!

What to plant in March:

Beans, Bush
Beans, Pole
Beets
Cabbage
Carrots
Corn
Cucumber
Eggplant
Herbs
Lettuce
Onions/Garlic sets
Peppers
Potatoes
Spinach
Squash, summer
Squash, Winter
Sunflowers
Tomato plants

My garden now:
I did not plant until a little late so all the squares are still filled with spring things not quite ready to harvest. Even the radishes have been slow.
March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 3_mar_11

The peas look great. There are two types and I forgot to mark which was which but they are both edible podded. No peas yet though.
March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 3_mar_12

And the potatoes are coming along. All of the green except one are from the slips. The seed potatoes are slow going or are never going to perform.
March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal 3_mar_13

Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Empty Re: March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal

Post  Beav395 3/1/2012, 1:32 pm

Thanks Chopper,

I just planted cucumber, bell pepper, onion and carrots. I directly seeded those in the box. I also planted 6 romaine and 6 swiss chard plants from the nursery. Wish me luck!

Being a rookie I planted some cauliflower and broccoli plants too. I'm a little late on those I guess. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will produce something from me.

Beav395
Beav395

Back to top Go down

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Empty Re: March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal

Post  Chopper 3/2/2012, 12:44 am

Beav395 wrote:

Being a rookie I planted some cauliflower and broccoli plants too. I'm a little late on those I guess. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will produce something from me.

Hey, you never know. Maybe you will be the winner because we get an unusually cool spring!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Empty You definitely never know.

Post  lonewolfrissy 3/2/2012, 1:00 am

I had success getting hot pepper seedlings out of 6-12 year old seeds. And then winter hit, lack of good soil, and probably transplanting them too soon killed them. Sad But I will be trying again. Smile
lonewolfrissy
lonewolfrissy

Female Posts : 150

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/4/2012, 6:13 pm

It's 88 F here and I almost had heat stroke working in the garden. I got my 4th bed filled and thoroughly watered then came in to cool off.
Red sails lettuce is bolting but so far still tastes good. Still have romaine growing good - growing faster than this family of 4 can eat it.
I also have onions, garlic & potatoes growing well. Just put more lettuce, carrots & I think spinach in a week or so ago. I have one tomato still going from last year as an experiment- just took the others out to move the trellis.
I have seedlings started inside of several different tomatoes, bell peppers, cucumbers, celery, kale & chard. Planted more lettuce & spinach yesterday.

Plus I hope to plant the following in the garden sometime this month:
Beans
corn
more onions
delicata squash
And the above seedlings.

First kids(baby goats) of the year were born yesterday. This is the start of a very busy & can be very stressful season but I still love spring.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Empty What to do when calenders disagree?

Post  AvaDGardner 3/24/2012, 3:00 pm

I've been using http://www.digitalseed.com/gardener/schedule/vegetable.html for my planting guide. I just looked at http://www.almanac.com/gardening/planting-dates/zipcode/92843 and it is completely different!

Which to believe?

Chopper, your temps are so different from mine! That changes everything! What do you use for your planting guide?
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Female Posts : 634

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/24/2012, 5:35 pm

To tell you the truth, for vegetable gardening frost/freeze is the main factor and then heat. For so cal where it is not desert or mountain, a veggie is a veggie and they can all be planted more or less at the same times. Heat may shorten the spring veggies of the inland valley and let the coast extend that season, but it is a small consideration. Microclimate in veg gardening is a small consideration. Summer veggies like heat, winter veggies like cool. And as long as you don't have a big freeze, you plant one or the other.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 3/27/2012, 2:44 pm

The garden coordinator was by yesterday to see if we flooded (more like "pooled"). We didn't...or if we did the mulch covered it and the it was soaked in.

He told me if the snow had gone to 1800ft we would have had a hard frost...is that true?

Stunning thought...I picked 10 strawberries and filled a gallon bag of lettuce after he left!
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/27/2012, 10:37 pm

Nothing would surprise me this year. That is another reason why garden guides are best guess anyway, with some likely scenarios built in. For the three seasons I have been gardening they have all been different. But we still ain't Maine. Smile
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  AvaDGardner 3/28/2012, 7:43 pm

@ Linda...do you have any problem growing salad makings in the heat? Do you shade them?

@ Everyone...I went looking my zone, and found the most curious info...

2012 Hardiness ZoneZone 10b: 35F to 40F
1990 Hardiness ZoneZone 10b: 35F to 40F
Ecoregion
Average First FrostJanuary 11 - 20
Average Last FrostJanuary 1 - 10

Seriously? We have "first" and "last" frost dates?

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Roflmao
AvaDGardner
AvaDGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/28/2012, 9:23 pm

Looks like we can never plant! LOL. I think maybe they use a calendar that runs fall to summer - Like Sept to Aug. That is all I can think of. So the bottom line is, if you are going to have frost, it will likely be in January. Funny.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/28/2012, 11:43 pm

AvaDGardner wrote:@ Linda...do you have any problem growing salad makings in the heat? Do you shade them?

@ Everyone...I went looking my zone, and found the most curious info...

2012 Hardiness ZoneZone 10b: 35F to 40F
1990 Hardiness ZoneZone 10b: 35F to 40F
Ecoregion
Average First FrostJanuary 11 - 20
Average Last FrostJanuary 1 - 10

Seriously? We have "first" and "last" frost dates?

March Garden Report and What to Plant in So Cal Roflmao

Here is my info from Daves Garden:

Each winter, on average, your risk of frost is from December 21 through January 19.

Almost certainly, however, you will receive frost from March 28 through March 28. (this is laways to & from whatever the current date is - very strange)

You are almost guaranteed that you will not get frost from March 5 through December 3.
Your frost-free growing season is around 336 days.

I am zone 9b.

Last year was my first year and the lettuce did go bitter in the summer heat even though the bed had trellis on both the west & north(with tomatoes, cucumbers, pole beens) and for part of the summer corn was in the south part of the bed. I am thinking of trying some lettuce in movable beds (maybe the cement mixing tubs) and placing them under my table tops. But right now they are going in the table tops.

Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/28/2012, 11:49 pm

With lettuce all the shade in the world will not help if it is actually hot. A cooled greenhouse would do it!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 3/29/2012, 12:50 am

Not sure about that one. Ive grown lettuce for years right on through the dead heat of summer. I do shade it which is why you can do it. You'll need to water more as well but it certainly can be done with shade.
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 108

http://thewealthyearth.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 3/29/2012, 5:35 am

snibb wrote:Not sure about that one. Ive grown lettuce for years right on through the dead heat of summer. I do shade it which is why you can do it. You'll need to water more as well but it certainly can be done with shade.

Really? Well that is good news and sounds like the beginning of an experiment...
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 3/29/2012, 9:31 am

Chopper...it's a true story. I think they say you can't start lettuce and expect it to germinate if it's over 85 degrees. Knowing that I just put shade cloth over an entire 4X4 box, watered it in, covered it with the cloth and then just made sure to keep the top moist. If it dries out it won't germinate. But if you keep it moist I think you'll find that you can do it.

The other sure-fire method is to start them indoors and then to set out as transplants-again keeping a good amount of water on them. Give it a try...it's a desert here in Utah-believe it or not-and we do get hot. We're usually around the 95 degree mark for 4 weeks of the summer, maybe a little hotter some years for a couple of weeks....you can do it...Jim
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Lindacol 3/29/2012, 5:44 pm

Chopper wrote:
snibb wrote:Not sure about that one. Ive grown lettuce for years right on through the dead heat of summer. I do shade it which is why you can do it. You'll need to water more as well but it certainly can be done with shade.

Really? Well that is good news and sounds like the beginning of an experiment...

Mine grew fine but once it got hot, it tasted bad. But I also did not try starting any seeds from mid june thru august as there are several periods where I am gone for a week at a time and can't be messing with seeds at that time.

Might try some this year if I can get it set up with drip watering like most of my beds are.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

Post  snibb 3/29/2012, 6:28 pm

Chopper...water, water, water and cover. I can promise you that if you do that your lettuce wont get bitter. Hot sun does bad things to lettuce..good luck though-I think you'll be happy with the results...Jim
snibb
snibb

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down