Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

+22
OhioGardener
donnainzone5
Scorpio Rising
BlackjackWidow
kristi@cookcraftcultivate
countrynaturals
sanderson
camprn
CiderSapling
ashort
Furbalsmom
Goosegirl
shannon1
boffer
Windsor.Parker
ericam
plantoid
javaaddict
RoOsTeR
yolos
newstart
madnicmom
26 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  OhioGardener 3/17/2020, 5:28 pm

sanderson wrote:Yeah, CN is going to get some Sluggo Plus!

+1

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4460

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 Empty starting seeds

Post  Emily49 6/4/2020, 8:26 pm

I read of a way to start carrot seeds in a corn starch/water cooked solution.  But now I'm getting a nice red shade of mold in with the seeds.  Should I scoop it out? Let it be? Scrap the whole project? It's only been 4 days.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 6/5/2020, 7:52 am

Hi Emily,

Are you talking about this You Tube Video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZo4GpjswhU

In the video the seeds are kept separate until they sprout while just in water after about 4 days in the video. Then the corn starch solution is made, cooled and then the seeds added. I thought it was a nifty way to plant carrots but carrots are usually very slow to germinate and why some people sprinkle in radish seeds so as not to forget where they planted the carrots. I hope this helps.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/5/2020, 8:47 am

I've always found the easiest way to start carrot seeds has been to sow them in very shallow hole or trench (about 1/8" deep), cover them with fine or medium Vermiculite, spray the Vermiculite to ensure it is completely damp, and then cover with a board or piece of cardboard. After about a week, and every couple days after that, gently lift the board or cardboard to check on germination, and remove it as soon as the seeds start germinating. Carrot seeds do not need light to germinate, but they cannot stand drying out. Using the board cover method, mine always germinate within 10 to 14 days.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 6/5/2020, 4:01 pm

Dan in Ct wrote:Hi Emily,

Are you talking about this You Tube Video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZo4GpjswhU

In the video the seeds are kept separate until they sprout while just in water after about 4 days in the video. Then the corn starch solution is made, cooled and then the seeds added. I thought it was a nifty way to plant carrots but carrots are usually very slow to germinate and why some people sprinkle in radish seeds so as not to forget where they planted the carrots. I hope this helps.
no, but now I wish I remembered what site I was at!  It didn't say anything about water first.  But maybe it wasn't supposed to be under light.  thinking   Maybe I should research what type of mold since I have better luck growing that!
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/6/2020, 10:59 pm

Lol, you're funny, Emily. Would you be willing to post a picture of your mold? I'm no mold expert, it's more curiosity. And is the mold eating your seeds or it it in the mix? Did the seeds germinate at all?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 6/9/2020, 2:30 pm

I could not find any information on my mold with a quick search.  And I threw it out before I took a picture.  My nature ID app did not recognize it.  It was growing in the cornstarch/water mix only, not on the seeds.  I only had 3 seeds germinate, before the mold got too gross, and I moved them to the garden yesterday, so we will see what happens.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/9/2020, 2:41 pm

If you have a box of cornstarch that gets damp, it will mold in a few days and has to be thrown out.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 6/10/2020, 11:58 am

Never used it in the garden, but I'd be careful when getting out the cornstarch. I've mistaken the baking soda box for the cornstarch box and wrecked an entree or two. I'm sure it would be disasterous if you copied my mistake! Those darned boxes are the same size and color. The only way I've constantly germinated carrots was to plant them real shallow, and keep the soil moist and covered. They can take a few weeks, there's no rushing them. I also dust the bed with diatomacious earth after the bed is watered to discourage pill bugs, slugs, and earwigs from moving in under the shelter of the beds. The worst problem I've had so far is with cutworms boring into the mature carrots. Anyone have a solution for those bad boys?
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/10/2020, 12:31 pm

Yardslave wrote:The worst problem I've had so far is with cutworms boring into the mature carrots. Anyone have a solution for those bad boys?

The most successful thing I have found to control grubs of all kinds are the Beneficial Nematodes.  I apply them late summer to early fall when the grubs have fully developed from the eggs that were laid spring to early summer, and the nematodes can clear them out quickly. The unfortunate thing, though, is that they are still expensive. The ones I use are Heterorhabditis bacteriophora, or Hb Nematodes.

Check out this article on the use of Beneficial Nematodes from Maine.gov: Using Beneficial Nematodes to Control Grubs

I have also had some success using biological treatments, such a GrubHALT! or  GrubGONE!, but they are usually sold in much larger quantities than I need or want.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/10/2020, 3:39 pm

+1 on the beneficial nematodes. Expensive but worth it. I've got a package in the fridge waiting for a rainy day to apply them.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 6/11/2020, 9:06 am

I was curious about the red mold so I did a search by red mold on corn and came up with "Gibberella" as a suspect. I think after reading about how nasty a mold it can be (potentially producing mycotoxins in corn kernels), I'd dig up those poor little carrot seedlings and the soil around them and dispose of them in the garbage or burn them if you have a woodstove. Check it out and let us know if the color is right?

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 3 Screen10
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 6/11/2020, 1:51 pm

mollyhespra wrote:I was curious about the red mold so I did a search by red mold on corn and came up with "Gibberella" as a suspect.  I think after reading about how nasty a mold it can be (potentially producing mycotoxins in corn kernels), I'd dig up those poor little carrot seedlings and the soil around them and dispose of them in the garbage or burn them if you have a woodstove.  Check it out and let us know if the color is right?

Eww that's gross.  Since the spots were localized and not in the whole solution/ seeds, I scooped out the mold and threw it away.  I didn't see any red around the 3 or so sprouts I moved into the garden.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 6/25/2020, 10:39 pm

Nothing continued to grow in the garden (I have 2 carrot plants very close together, so might get 1 carrot) so I started over following the above video.  Seeds have been in water one day.
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/29/2021, 7:22 pm

So, I planted 16 carrots next to my potatoes…only 5 came up.  I have read the thread and it’s probably due to drying out….

Can I start some now?  My last FFD is 10/15.  I hope so!  My Bok Choy is done and I have 2 squares.

Thanks
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/29/2021, 7:38 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Can I start some now?  My last FFD is 10/15.  I hope so!  My Bok Choy is done and I have 2 squares.

Yes, you can start more carrots up until 3rd week of August. I planted some 2 days ago, and as soon as they germinate, I will start another batch, and then a 3rd batch after those germinate. They aren't bothered by light frost. In fact, I start the first planting in spring about a month before the last frost date, and they do great with the cool weather. When you plant the seeds, water them in and then cover with a piece of cardboard. Periodically peek under the cardboard, and as soon as you see sprouts remove the cardboard. You'll get much better, and much faster germination of the seeds that way.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Nicola likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2021, 11:51 am

OG, About the cardboard, do you put a few sprinkles of Sluggo Plus under the cardboard? Cardboard seems to be a great hiding place for sowbugs, earwigs and slugs in my beds.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 7/14/2021, 12:06 pm

sanderson wrote:OG,  About the cardboard, do you put a few sprinkles of Sluggo Plus under the cardboard?  Cardboard seems to be a great hiding place for sowbugs, earwigs and slugs in my beds.

I do if the bed has a lot of the sowbugs - I don't typically have a problem with slugs or earwigs, but the sowbugs love to eat all of the young seedlings.  This year we had a very wet spring, and the sowbugs ran amuk, to say the least. So, I have been using the Sluggo Plus in all of the beds to control them.

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3