Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Toplef10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 I22gcj10Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Square Foot Gardening Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
 
 

Display results as :
 

 


Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hello Usman from Pakistan
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:10 am

» Hello from southern Wisconsin
by AtlantaMarie Today at 6:07 am

» Succession seed sowing now
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:30 pm

» N&C Midwest: August 2020
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 8:22 pm

» Stroke - Country Naturals
by countrynaturals Yesterday at 7:28 pm

» Cheerleaders needed, please. This is daunting.
by mollyhespra Yesterday at 2:19 pm

» Almost 68, and this is a new one on me !!!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 2:06 pm

» SFG Journey: Beneficial nematodes experiment
by has55 Yesterday at 1:01 pm

» New England, August, 2020
by SFGHQSTAFF Yesterday at 4:18 am

» Newbie SFGer in N. Virginia needing some advice
by SFGHQSTAFF Yesterday at 3:19 am

» Tomato Mosaic Virus...Fearing the Worst :(
by AuntieBeth 8/3/2020, 9:15 pm

» Earwigs 2.0!
by OhioGardener 8/3/2020, 2:52 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:56 pm

» N&C Midwest—July 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/3/2020, 12:40 pm

» Tomato Problems - Help!
by Dan in Ct 8/3/2020, 8:33 am

» Tampa newbie
by funnygroundhog 8/3/2020, 8:07 am

» The SFG journey-Overview of the Redesign Compost Tea Brewer
by has55 8/2/2020, 10:35 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 8:03 pm

» August Avatar: Beat The Heat!
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 9:01 am

» Pull Bean Plants to Pick Beans?
by Scorpio Rising 8/2/2020, 9:00 am

» Safety of cardboard in compost
by sanderson 8/1/2020, 7:59 pm

» Staking Eggplants and Peppers
by sanderson 8/1/2020, 7:46 pm

» Tom Thumb
by sanderson 8/1/2020, 7:19 pm

» What's next? - August
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 4:47 pm

» Tomato Tuesday - 2020
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 4:40 pm

» Sprouts and Microgreens
by LilBittyBean 8/1/2020, 4:14 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 2:37 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 8/1/2020, 11:29 am

» Greetings all!
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 8:58 am

» Greetings from Northern Virginia
by Scorpio Rising 8/1/2020, 8:55 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  camprn on 4/1/2012, 7:23 am

This is a very good read, all about carrots, from the Carrot Museum. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 3085260134

____________________________

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books



Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169
Join date : 2010-03-06
Age : 57
Location : Keene, NH, USA ~ Zone 5a

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  sanderson on 12/2/2017, 3:54 pm

Re-introducing the "Friday Rookie" archived topics. This thread is an example of the topics developed in 2011 and 2012. Just type in "Friday" or "Friday rookie" in the search box.

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 12/2/2017, 9:45 pm

My carrots in the ANSFG bed are starting to sprout. I'm already eating some from the old sfg bed. Sadly, I planted 3 other sections in the Salad Bar and they all failed, so I have a gaping hole in my succession planting for having carrots all year long. Maybe I'll replant that bed tomorrow. What can it hurt? Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Stubby carrots!!

Post  kristi@cookcraftcultivate on 6/19/2018, 12:32 am

Has anyone else had trouble getting their carrots to grow to a normal size? The largest I have pulled has been about an inch long! They are a variety that is only supposed to grow about 6 inches in height, and my boxes are 8 inch boxes. They sprouted fine, and have nice leafy tops about 1 foot tall. I believe I am keeping the dirt evenly moist, as some recommend. But they've been in the ground for months and are still tiny!

What could I be doing wrong?

-Kristi
kristi@cookcraftcultivate
kristi@cookcraftcultivate

Posts : 2
Join date : 2018-06-19
Location : Phoenix AZ

http://www.cookcraftcultivate.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  sanderson on 6/19/2018, 2:19 am

I'm hit and miss with carrots. But, I think for our climates, early fall is a good time to sow them.

Anyone else in a hot climate?

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  BlackjackWidow on 6/19/2018, 9:04 am

If you have tall leafy greens but the roots aren't forming well, your compost mix might need more phosphorous. Try adding some bone meal worked into the soil. It might be too hot for them, too - maybe try mulching to keep them a little cooler?
BlackjackWidow
BlackjackWidow

Female Posts : 173
Join date : 2018-05-07
Age : 58
Location : SW Michigan, on the coast of Lake MI; Zone 6a/b

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 6/19/2018, 12:23 pm

@sanderson wrote:I'm hit and miss with carrots.  But, I think for our climates, early fall is a good time to sow them.

Anyone else in a hot climate?
I planted mine last fall, ignored them ever since, and they're absolutely AWESOME! I planted them in my first ever ANSFG bed. Don't quote me on this, but mine seem to thrive on neglect. They seem to like it better when they dry out a little between waterings.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  yolos on 6/19/2018, 1:44 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@sanderson wrote:I'm hit and miss with carrots.  But, I think for our climates, early fall is a good time to sow them.

Anyone else in a hot climate?
I planted mine last fall, ignored them ever since, and they're absolutely AWESOME! I planted them in my first ever ANSFG bed. Don't quote me on this, but mine seem to thrive on neglect. They seem to like it better when they dry out a little between waterings.
I also plant in late fall.  They grow a little, then sit there for most of winter and really take off late winter or early fall.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 3953
Join date : 2011-11-20
Age : 70
Location : Brooks, Ga Zone 7B/8A

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  Scorpio Rising on 6/19/2018, 7:53 pm

I usually plant early, but the square was frozen...the 3 squares that I did plant have come up spottily, and need succession re-planting which may be a good thing!  I have never been able to succession plant ANYTHING EVER.  So this splotchy failure is forcing me to succession plant!  CARROTS which me and my kids love love love.

carrot
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7682
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 12/3/2019, 8:11 pm

@yolos wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:
@sanderson wrote:I'm hit and miss with carrots.  But, I think for our climates, early fall is a good time to sow them.

Anyone else in a hot climate?
I planted mine last fall, ignored them ever since, and they're absolutely AWESOME! I planted them in my first ever ANSFG bed. Don't quote me on this, but mine seem to thrive on neglect. They seem to like it better when they dry out a little between waterings.
I also plant in late fall.  They grow a little, then sit there for most of winter and really take off late winter or early fall.
Hmm, I thought it was too late, but maybe not. I have a million carrot seeds, so maybe I'll go looking for some empty squares and fill them up. What-have-I-got-to-lose? Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/8/2020, 9:32 pm

I have the perfect spot for carrots, outside the gate of the Salad Bar. Trouble is, every time I plant them there, they sprout beautifully, then I watch them disappear, one-by-one, as the rollies pick them off. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 671790 

So, here is my experimental solution:

I have one of those seed-starting kits, with 72 cells, about 2 deep.
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Seedce10
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Seedce11
What if I turned that puppy upside down, cut the bottoms out, laid it on top of the soil in the bed, and dropped a seed in each hole? Would they get enough light? I'm thinking this would give them a head start, and, by the time they get to be 2" high, so I can take up the contraption, they should be strong enough fight off the rollies. What say ye all, before I waste an afternoon on this project? geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/10/2020, 7:47 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:I have the perfect spot for carrots, outside the gate of the Salad Bar. Trouble is, every time I plant them there, they sprout beautifully, then I watch them disappear, one-by-one, as the rollies pick them off. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 671790 

So, here is my experimental solution:

I have one of those seed-starting kits, with 72 cells, about 2 deep.
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Seedce10
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Seedce11
What if I turned that puppy upside down, cut the bottoms out, laid it on top of the soil in the bed, and dropped a seed in each hole? Would they get enough light? I'm thinking this would give them a head start, and, by the time they get to be 2" high, so I can take up the contraption, they should be strong enough fight off the rollies. What say ye all, before I waste an afternoon on this project? geek
I planted these today -- half Tendersweet and half Pusa Asita Black Carrot. Fingers crossed on this one. If it works, I'll try it on onions next time. Wink (That's DE around the outside -- not taking any chances. Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  Scorpio Rising on 3/10/2020, 8:17 pm

I think it’s a great experiment that Just. Might. Work.
avatar
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 7682
Join date : 2015-06-12
Age : 58
Location : Ada, Ohio

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/11/2020, 9:32 am

@countrynaturals wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:I have the perfect spot for carrots, outside the gate of the Salad Bar. Trouble is, every time I plant them there, they sprout beautifully, then I watch them disappear, one-by-one, as the rollies pick them off. Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 671790 

So, here is my experimental solution:

I have one of those seed-starting kits, with 72 cells, about 2 deep.
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Seedce10
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Seedce11
What if I turned that puppy upside down, cut the bottoms out, laid it on top of the soil in the bed, and dropped a seed in each hole? Would they get enough light? I'm thinking this would give them a head start, and, by the time they get to be 2" high, so I can take up the contraption, they should be strong enough fight off the rollies. What say ye all, before I waste an afternoon on this project? geek
I planted these today -- half Tendersweet and half Pusa Asita Black Carrot. Fingers crossed on this one. If it works, I'll try it on onions next time. Wink (That's DE around the outside -- not taking any chances. Mad
Oops! Senior moment! I forgot to post the pic. Embarassed Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Carrot11
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/11/2020, 9:35 am

@Scorpio Rising wrote:I think it’s a great experiment that Just. Might. Work.
I hope you're right! We love carrots and I'm tired of buying them at the store. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  plantoid on 3/11/2020, 7:17 pm

cyclops  Pssst!  what's "  rollies " when they are at home . ?
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4030
Join date : 2011-11-09
Age : 69
Location : At the west end of M4 in the UK

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/11/2020, 8:00 pm

@plantoid wrote:cyclops  Pssst!  what's "  rollies " when they are at home . ?
Rollie Pollies? Roly Poly? They might actually be sow bugs. I'm not sure, but they wreak havoc on anything I direct sow in the Salad Bar. Once a seedling reaches a couple of inches and gets some real leaves, they leave them alone. Here they are with their good buddies the slugs. get that pesky wabbi
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Rollie10
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  donnainzone5 on 3/12/2020, 3:12 pm

I've also observed that pill bugs/sowbugs/rollie-pollies love small seedlings.

My solution is to sprinkle a bit of Sluggo Plus where needed, preferably, I think, shortly after planting.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2502
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 73
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/12/2020, 3:56 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:I've also observed that pill bugs/sowbugs/rollie-pollies love small seedlings.

My solution is to sprinkle a bit of Sluggo Plus where needed, preferably, I think, shortly after planting.
That's my last resort, but I'll do it if I have to. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  donnainzone5 on 3/12/2020, 4:21 pm

Suz,

From what I've read, Sluggo Plus is a pretty safe product, if used as directed.  It's OMRI certified (not that that's all so significant).

If sprinkled too heavily, yes, it can harm pets, if they eat it.  I've never had any problems.  

https://www.groworganic.com/products/sluggo-plus-2-5-lb-bottle
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2502
Join date : 2010-03-02
Age : 73
Location : Bend, OR (Zone 5-6)

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/13/2020, 2:51 pm

@donnainzone5 wrote:Suz,

From what I've read, Sluggo Plus is a pretty safe product, if used as directed.  It's OMRI certified (not that that's all so significant).

If sprinkled too heavily, yes, it can harm pets, if they eat it.  I've never had any problems.  

https://www.groworganic.com/products/sluggo-plus-2-5-lb-bottle
Project failed already. There were 2 little seedlings that survived the last planting. I had them carefully situated inside 2 of the cells. This morning they were gone. Obviously the slugs and rolys come up from underneath, bypassing the DE and soil-top barriers.

Can I start from scratch and dig in that Sluggo Plus down to a couple of inches over the entire bed, then what? Wait a few days and plant seeds as if they might just have a ghost of a chance? Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  OhioGardener on 3/13/2020, 5:55 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:Can I start from scratch and dig in that Sluggo Plus down to a couple of inches over the entire bed, then what? Wait a few days and plant seeds as if they might just have a ghost of a chance? Evil or Very Mad

Don't dig the Sluggo Plus into the soil, but just scatter it on top of the soil. The sowbugs and slugs won't go down into the soil to eat it, they just wander across the soil looking for food.

____________________________

Never plant without a bucket of compost at your side.
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Posts : 2039
Join date : 2018-08-06
Location : SW Ohio

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/13/2020, 6:42 pm

@OhioGardener wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Can I start from scratch and dig in that Sluggo Plus down to a couple of inches over the entire bed, then what? Wait a few days and plant seeds as if they might just have a ghost of a chance? Evil or Very Mad

Don't dig the Sluggo Plus into the soil, but just scatter it on top of the soil. The sowbugs and slugs won't go down into the soil to eat it, they just wander across the soil looking for food.
They couldn't have gotten to these plants from the top. The seedlings were surrounded by plastic, and the whole container is surrounded by a think ring of DE. Whatever got those babies had to come from underneath. I don't get it. HELP!
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  countrynaturals on 3/13/2020, 7:33 pm

@countrynaturals wrote:
@OhioGardener wrote:
@countrynaturals wrote:Can I start from scratch and dig in that Sluggo Plus down to a couple of inches over the entire bed, then what? Wait a few days and plant seeds as if they might just have a ghost of a chance? Evil or Very Mad

Don't dig the Sluggo Plus into the soil, but just scatter it on top of the soil. The sowbugs and slugs won't go down into the soil to eat it, they just wander across the soil looking for food.
They couldn't have gotten to these plants from the top. The seedlings were surrounded by plastic, and the whole container is surrounded by a think ring of DE. Whatever got those babies had to come from underneath. I don't get it. HELP!
Here is a pic of one of the sprouts that disappeared. There's no trace of it, now.
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Carrot12

I did notice some gaps under the edge of the cells. I covered every one with a thick layer of rabbit bedding, right up to the edge of the cells. There's no way anything can in from the top, now.
Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Carrot13 I would have replaced the DE, but it's gonna start raining tonight and rain for several days, so there's no point. I will try to order the Sluggo Plus right now. Evil or Very Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5690
Join date : 2016-04-12
Location : Redding, CA

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  sanderson on 3/17/2020, 5:24 pm

Yeah, CN is going to get some Sluggo Plus!

____________________________

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 19135
Join date : 2013-04-21
Age : 71
Location : Fresno CA Zone 8-9

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots  - Page 2 Empty Re: Friday Rookie Topic: Carrots

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum