Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? Toplef10Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? I22gcj10Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? Toplef10Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? I22gcj10Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix?

3 posters

Go down

Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? Empty Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix?

Post  mlomeli 2/11/2012, 9:35 pm

Hey all,

This may be my first post, but my wife has got me into this forum! Good stuff.

Anyway, I just built a cinder block 4x4 bed (stacked 2 blocks high). I was doin' some youtube and come across this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBocAJWGR_k

Would this work for a box like mine? This sounds like an awesome idea and my new box is empty and nothing committed to it yet. We have ideas, but nothing like our two other boxes from last year.

Any thoughts on this?

thanks,
matt
mlomeli
mlomeli

Back to top Go down

Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? Empty Re: Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix?

Post  Unmutual 2/11/2012, 10:13 pm

Wicking technology lends itself rather well to Mel's Mix. I've tried it using a tabletop design and the soil stayed moist even during the hot summers. Mulching will help with evaporation(I didn't use mulch because it was an experiment and I wanted to see what was going on).

Instead of using a medium to go in the reservoir, I just used Mel's Mix without the compost in hardware cloth cylinders to do the wicking(Boffer has a thread somewhere around here on wicking beds).

My ONLY concern with wicking beds is the accumulation of salts. If you don't have a good way to drain and flush the reservoir completely, you may be asking for trouble in a few years. Since that design has an overflow pipe, it may take longer for salting issues especially if you have periods of heavy, constant rain which will not completely get rid of any salts, but should, at the very least, dilute them.

IMO wicking beds are the best of most worlds: self watering(plants take what they need), rain water storage and any nutrients leached from the MM should leach back up if they are soluble.
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix? Empty Re: Cinder Block Wicking Bed using Mel's Mix?

Post  mlomeli 2/11/2012, 10:36 pm

So, beside the salt issue, this should be ok? I thought I read wicking and Mels don't mix, due to not soaking enough water to the plant. Maybe I was wrong.
mlomeli
mlomeli

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 2/12/2012, 7:12 am

wicking works see my son's

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t5716-experiment-to-deal-with-pure-sand-and-high-water-bills

we made sure there was a 1" space between the bottom of the bed and the top water level.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 2/12/2012, 8:05 am

mlomeli wrote:So, beside the salt issue, this should be ok? I thought I read wicking and Mels don't mix, due to not soaking enough water to the plant. Maybe I was wrong.

I've found that mel's mix and wicking work very well. Even the top of the Mel's Mix stayed moist. So yes, besides salting issues, it should be okay. I wouldn't convert all of my beds over to wicking, but experiment on a single 4'x4' bed and realize that you may have to adjust depending on your weather and the resources available to you.

I currently use drip irrigation because in the end, it would be cheaper for me. Especially if I run the irrigation from rain barrels(which will eventually happen).
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down