Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes Toplef10Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes I22gcj10Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes Toplef10Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes I22gcj10Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer Sat Mar 23, 2024 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary Fri Mar 22, 2024 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Fri Mar 22, 2024 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener Sun Mar 10, 2024 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener Sat Mar 09, 2024 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson Sat Mar 09, 2024 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy Fri Mar 08, 2024 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener Wed Mar 06, 2024 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Mid-Atl: Winter Chore - Gather Recipes

3 posters

Go down

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes Empty Mid-Atl: Winter Chore - Gather Recipes

Post  sfg4uKim Sat Jan 28, 2012 9:53 pm

I know you're probably busy looking at seed catalogs, but after you've placed your orders, there are other things you can do to prepare for your upcoming harvest.

Ron & Jennifer Kujawski in their book "Week-by-Week Vegetable Gardener's Handbook" suggest: Start saving recipes that call for the fruits and vegetables growing (or plan to grow?) in your garden.They have three or four favorite recipes for each crop in their garden which saves them the trouble of having to think much about how to prepare vegetables that they will harvest.

My suggestion is to get the All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook - it's all in one place. Not only does Mel have some wonderful recipes, he organizes them by vegetable. There are also tips on when to harvest, signs the veggie is ready, when it's too late, how to harvest and expected yield. There are even tips and a Kid's Corner.

Another good book for using more of your harvest is Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld (wife of Jerry). She uses fruit & veggie purees to sneak extra veggies into her meals, but I think this would be a great way of USING more of your harvest.

For instance, she uses carrot & spinach puree in her brownies and beet puree in her pink pancakes and chocolate cake. Her grilled cheese sandwiches features Sweet potato or butternut squash puree, and her ranch dressing . . . mashed cooked navy beans. Even her deviled eggs hide cauliflower or carrot puree. I'll post some of these in the recipe section down the road.

So prepare now for that great harvest you KNOW you will get! Can't you just taste the wonderful grilled veggies now?

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes 3170584802 Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes 3170584802
Cheers!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes Empty Re: Mid-Atl: Winter Chore - Gather Recipes

Post  midatlanticgardening Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm

I love the idea of sneaking veggies into food. My kids, and husband too, are resistant to anything other than the standard fare. I'll check with our local library to see if either of these books are available. Thanks for the idea!Very Happy
midatlanticgardening
midatlanticgardening

Female Posts : 5

http://www.midatlanticgardening.com

Back to top Go down

Mid-Atl:  Winter Chore - Gather Recipes Empty Re: Mid-Atl: Winter Chore - Gather Recipes

Post  moswell Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 pm

Well fortunately I don't have to cook for anyone but myself, so I don't have to "sneak" vegetables in (I wouldn't plant it if I didn't like it!)!

I played with a few different stir fry dishes last year early in the season with sugar snap peas that turned out well. Unfortunately, by the time my peppers were ripe, the second planting of peas had fallen victim to Irene, so I never did get a stir fry with peppers and peas! This year I'm hoping things will turn out differently.

I don't cook with a lot of recipes, per se. I'll look around at recipes, but I never follow them. I end up switching in and out ingredients based on my preferences and throwing together stuff at the last minute (again, living alone this is much easier than with a family).
moswell
moswell

Female Posts : 366

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum