Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
square foot -community- gardening...? Toplef10square foot -community- gardening...? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

square foot -community- gardening...? I22gcj10square foot -community- gardening...? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
square foot -community- gardening...? Toplef10square foot -community- gardening...? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

square foot -community- gardening...? I22gcj10square foot -community- gardening...? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

square foot -community- gardening...?

5 posters

Go down

square foot -community- gardening...? Empty square foot -community- gardening...?

Post  kbonardi 10/11/2011, 1:03 pm

I'm working to turn a vacant lot into a community garden in my neighborhood, and we're at the point where we're trying to determine the details on the individual plots.

In brief, we want plots to be big enough to make a real impact in how much fresh food a family gets but small enough that we can offer as many as possible... so I'm here to solicit your advice on two things:

- Would one 4 x 6 plot be an adequate size for helping to feed, say, a family of four? Is that a manageable size for a new gardener?

- If we allow people to construct trellises at one end of their plot, is it likely a nearby plot will get shade instead of sun?

Thanks so much -- now I go back to obsessively reading the forums for info! sunny

Last edited by kbonardi on 10/11/2011, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo!)
kbonardi

Back to top Go down

square foot -community- gardening...? Empty Re: square foot -community- gardening...?

Post  boffer 10/11/2011, 1:34 pm

Hi, and welcome to the one and only official forum for Square Foot Gardening.

24 sf is going to be on the small side for a family. Mel recommends specific sizes for adults and children, depending on one's objectives, on pages 41 and 42 of the ALL NEW SFG book. It's certainly not too much work. Once the boxes are made and filled with Mel's Mix, there really isn't much to do.

Yes, the trellises are going to create shade. How much, will be determined by height, width, type of plant, path width, and position of sun in the sky. If your plot gets sun all day long, my guess is that the shading won't be a problem; at least it's worth trying.

My personal recommendation is that you don't try to save space by making walkways narrower. I would do a minimum of four feet. There will be a lot more foot traffic than in a personal garden, and although it's hard to visualize when you're staring at a box full of MM, when that box is full of mature veggies, they will spill over into the walkways and get trampled if the walkway is too narrow.

Good luck with your endeavor
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

square foot -community- gardening...? Empty Re: square foot -community- gardening...?

Post  Chopper 10/11/2011, 1:54 pm

Is there any way I could talk you into revealing the location so I can take a look at it on google maps?

I have nothing to add to what boffer said. He covered it all. If you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, most lengths of wood come in 8' lengths. That would be three pieces per plot for a 4X8 plot. I believe the book said that for one adult to get all of their veggie needs it would take 50 squares and that is about right. A lot of people do not have veggie demands that match USDA recommendations so this would work for the average hobby gardener and would be plenty of vegetables.

Regarding the trellises, you could have a rule limiting height. Most plants it they get too big simply go down the other side.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 10/11/2011, 2:24 pm

kbonardi wrote:I'm working to turn a vacant lot into a community garden in my neighborhood, and we're at the point where we're trying to determine the details on the individual plots.

In brief, we want plots to be big enough to make a real impact in how much fresh food a family gets but small enough that we can offer as many as possible... so I'm here to solicit your advice on two things:

- Would one 4 x 6 plot be an adequate size for helping to feed, say, a family of four? Is that a manageable size for a new gardener?

- If we allow people to construct trellises at one end of their plot, is it likely a nearby plot will get shade instead of sun?

Thanks so much -- now I go back to obsessively reading the forums for info! sunny

This is so cool!!!
I'd have to agree with Chopper on the 4x8 beds. I had no waste when I built mine this spring. And I'm guessing you don't have a lot of room, so I'd go with 3' walkways. I think my community garden in Seattle had 2.5', and it was adequate if you were careful. Most everyone had a larger plot than than that (5x10, I'm thinking) though, and made tiny paths down theirs.
Regarding trellises, I'd think that a height limit would be necessary, as boffer says. I'm thinking that 6' in the middle, as for pole beans, and 4-5' for northern edge would be the max. Also, a rule that you have to keep your veg off the paths.
In addition, (I'm just brainstorming here) you could have a separate plot just for zucchini and squash that would be the "food bank" for the whole garden. Far to the north, trellised, and with sunflowers, too, sunny for the kid in all of us.
Lists of suggested vegetables that are space savers, classes or instruction sheets on string-trellising tomatoes and other vining crops, (basically vertical gardening) and rotation crops would help the new plot owners alot.
Oh, BTW, welcome! You'll find a lot of information here, and really, you need the book for the most concise info. Most libraries have it.
bounce You're gonna have SO much fun with this!
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/11/2011, 2:30 pm

Chopper wrote: If you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, most lengths of wood come in 8' lengths. That would be three pieces per plot for a 4X8 plot.

Duh! I meant to say that would be two pieces per plot. LOL.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  kbonardi 10/11/2011, 2:31 pm

Oh, definitely -- it's 462 Halsey Street in Brooklyn. It's something like 53' x 100' in total (but some of that is really shady and we also need room for compost bins and a community gathering area).

I kind of suspected the best we can hope to do is to augment (rather than completely supply) the average adult's veg requirements.
kbonardi

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 10/11/2011, 2:45 pm

Chopper wrote:
Chopper wrote: If you are trying to get the most bang for your buck, most lengths of wood come in 8' lengths. That would be three pieces per plot for a 4X8 plot.

thinking boo boo alert! I think...lol
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  janezee 10/11/2011, 2:56 pm

Chopper wrote:

whaaaaaa?
janezee
janezee

Female Posts : 242

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/11/2011, 3:01 pm

Wow. You really have your work cut out for you being on the north side of the block and with buildings on either side. That said, A little tree trimming, and it is a nice space.

How many families do you hope to accommodate? For the more the merrier, the 4X6 does make more sense.

Please send pictures as the project progresses. I would love to pitch in if I was closer than 3000 miles away.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 10/11/2011, 8:06 pm

Maybe a 2' 'strip' around the perimeter would help maximize space and allow those who only need a few squares to also participate.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

square foot -community- gardening...? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum