Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Storm damage Toplef10Storm damage 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Storm damage I22gcj10Storm damage 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Storm damage Toplef10Storm damage 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Storm damage I22gcj10Storm damage 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Storm damage

5 posters

Go down

Storm damage Empty Storm damage

Post  HouseofWool 9/3/2011, 3:46 pm

I was so disappointed by a HUGE thunderstorm that rolled through our area yesterday morning. It was pitch black out and there were 65 mph winds. In the city, there were at least 100 trees damaged.

At home, I found that the winds managed to bend my steel conduit trellis slightly. I think it will make it through the rest of the season though.

The worst part was that the winds knocked down hundreds of apples that I had planned on picking this weekend. Most of them are a total loss because they are so bruised and dented. I managed to salvage slight more than a 5 gallon pail full and am planning on making lots of applesauce tomorrow.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Storm damage Empty Re: Storm damage

Post  HouseofWool 9/4/2011, 8:17 am

There was another huge storm yesterday afternoon, dropping an 1" of rain in about 40 minutes along with vicious winds. My poor trellis is damaged beyond repair. I just keep hoping that it will last out the rest of the season so I don't lose all of the cantaloupe that are on it.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  Denese 9/4/2011, 9:19 am

I'm so sorry to hear about your damage! I'm shocked that your steel conduit trellis didn't hold up. I started out using 1" PVC several years ago, and I'm still using the same PVC. It's made it through some pretty good storms, so I guess I'm lucky. I was considering changing over to the conduit, but now I'm not so sure.

Hope your cantaloupes make it through for you.
Denese
Denese

Female Posts : 324

Back to top Go down

Post  mijejo 9/4/2011, 10:18 am

We had a major storm in our area last night, too.

I have two steel conduit trellises (or is it trellisi?) in which morning glory vines have connected.

I cannot get into to see all of the damage. However, I woke this morning to find that the wind had lifted one trellis out of the ground and its 18'' rebar. That trellis, and all of its plants (large pumpkin, tomatoes, morning glories) are now resting on another SFG bed. Furthermore, it is pulling down the neighboring trellis.

I cannot blame the steel conduit. It has held up well. However, when a trellis is full of plant materiel, it becomes like a boat's sail in high winds. Perhaps, I need to plan for less growth onto each trellis.

Sorry, about all of your storm damage, HouseofWool. I hope the sweet taste of fresh applesauce is softening the blow.
mijejo
mijejo

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 9/4/2011, 12:09 pm

I have 7 pints of applesauce processing right now, with enough apples left to do another batch. I am thinking of trying apple butter... There are still hundreds of apples on the ground. So sad.

I don't think I can fault the conduit this time. I have two trellis, both made from steel conduit, with bends in the corners (my dad happens to have the do-hickey for bending conduit) and a single join in the middle of the top. One of the trellises is connected by zip ties to steel fence posts and is positively ladened with butternut squash. That one is fine.

The other was set on rebar and the rain had softened the ground significantly. So much so, that I ended screwing conduit straps onto the bed to help support it. This one get the brunt of the wind. Both are set on the north(ish) side of the beds, and don't face into the wind. I think it was just too much wind, too much rain (close to 4" in 3 days, coming in roughly 1" bouts), and lots of heavy fruit that did the damage. No matter what, there is no salvaging the damaged trellis now. I will take off the netting and re-use that, but the steel is probably too bent to save.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 9/4/2011, 2:11 pm

HouseOfWool wrote:No matter what, there is no salvaging the damaged trellis now. I will take off the netting and re-use that, but the steel is probably too bent to save.

So sorry you had all that damage from the wind and rain.

I am glad you were able to salvage those windfall apples. At least you were already geared up to make applesauce this weekend. I have to purchase apples to make my apple butter, but the kids love it when I send them some for Christmas.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 9/5/2011, 7:57 am

HouseofWool wrote:

The other was set on rebar and the rain had softened the ground significantly. So much so, that I ended screwing conduit straps onto the bed to help support it. This one get the brunt of the wind. Both are set on the north(ish) side of the beds, and don't face into the wind. I think it was just too much wind, too much rain (close to 4" in 3 days, coming in roughly 1" bouts), and lots of heavy fruit that did the damage. No matter what, there is no salvaging the damaged trellis now. I will take off the netting and re-use that, but the steel is probably too bent to save.

Howdy Woolie: My grandfather used a wheeled hoe to set up his row garden and sometime the rows were not quite straight. He used to say that you could plant more on a crooked row anyway so he never seemed to worry about it. I wonder if you can grow more veggies on a crooked trellis? Smile

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  HouseofWool 9/5/2011, 8:11 am

It isn't so much about functionality, but because the steel has been bent, it will be more likely to fail in the same place in another storm. We've had several horrible storms in the area this year (4" hail in one, a tornado nearby, and several with hurricane force winds) and I would anticipate much of the same next year. I would have to have it break completely and tear up all of the plants.

Next year will have a new steel trellis set with fence posts.
HouseofWool

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 9/5/2011, 8:31 am

HouseofWool wrote:It isn't so much about functionality, but because the steel has been bent, it will be more likely to fail in the same place in another storm. We've had several horrible storms in the area this year (4" hail in one, a tornado nearby, and several with hurricane force winds) and I would anticipate much of the same next year. I would have to have it break completely and tear up all of the plants.

Next year will have a new steel trellis set with fence posts.

Howdy HouseofWool:

We had hurricane force winds last week. In fact we had a hurricane. The winds blew for almost 12 hours and reached 83 MPH. We had one trellis leg bend just a bit. Each of the trellis are interconnected across the tops and each leg is fastened to the SFG box. Most of the trellis had low or reduced amounts of growth so did not act so much like a sail as yours. The winds were strong enough to cause a very large pine tree to come down on my neighbors carport and we had to cut our way out to the main road due to downed trees. All in all we felt lucky and were out of power for only 4 days.

The bad news is we lost all of the produce we had put into the freezer which was not much but it is lost anyway.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down