Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Replace Vermiculite Toplef10Replace Vermiculite 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Replace Vermiculite I22gcj10Replace Vermiculite 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Replace Vermiculite Toplef10Replace Vermiculite 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Replace Vermiculite I22gcj10Replace Vermiculite 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Replace Vermiculite

+5
Retired Member 1
SirTravers
nidiyao
rds1955
Mr. Greenjeans
9 posters

Go down

Replace Vermiculite Empty Replace Vermiculite

Post  Mr. Greenjeans 3/28/2010, 11:25 am

I think it is time to replace vermiculite with another ingredient that is even more rare and difficult to find. Let's go with commonsense! What type of person bases a whole system on something difficult to locate ... someone without commonsense!
Mr. Greenjeans

Back to top Go down

Replace Vermiculite Empty Re: Replace Vermiculite

Post  rds1955 3/28/2010, 12:10 pm

Hmmm...
Mel has said in the past I believe that if you can't find vermiculite then it's ok to just use Compost...In 3rd world country's hes said that Vermiculite is almost an impossibility to find, so it's ok to use just compost...
rds1955
rds1955

Male Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  nidiyao 3/28/2010, 12:19 pm

So then we'd use 2/3 compost and 1/3 peat?
nidiyao
nidiyao

Female Posts : 56

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Greenjeans 3/28/2010, 12:20 pm

rds1955 wrote:Hmmm...
Mel has said in the past I believe that if you can't find vermiculite then it's ok to just use Compost...In 3rd world country's hes said that Vermiculite is almost an impossibility to find, so it's ok to use just compost...

That would not make sense to replace vermiculite with compost. Compost and vermiculite have two different roles in the mix. It would make more sense to replace with more peat.

And, the USA is not a third world country yet in spite of the Democrats led by Obummer.
Mr. Greenjeans

Back to top Go down

Replace Vermiculite Empty Ask before you slam

Post  SirTravers 3/28/2010, 12:24 pm

OK I'd think before slamming someone and saying they have no common sense it would be wise to peruse the main "Vermiculite sources" thread and your regional "Vermiculite" thread. If that doesn't have a place near you listed try asking some of the folks in your area where they got their vermiculite.
Personal attacks are considered rude on any forum and will get you reported to the moderators right away. Please at least let some folks try to help you find this elusive ingredient before getting ugly.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 3/28/2010, 12:24 pm

Mr. Greenjeans wrote:
That would not make sense to replace vermiculite with compost. Compost and vermiculite have two different roles in the mix. It would make more sense to replace with more peat.

And, the USA is not a third world country yet in spite of the Democrats led by Obummer.

Please edit your post and remove the last sentence -- THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL FORUM!!!
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Greenjeans 3/28/2010, 12:29 pm

belfrybat wrote:
Mr. Greenjeans wrote:

Please edit your post and remove the last sentence -- THIS IS NOT A POLITICAL FORUM!!!

I have a right to state my opinion. I know this document isn't used much but I choose to live according to the US Constitution .
Mr. Greenjeans

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Greenjeans 3/28/2010, 12:34 pm

SirTravers wrote:OK I'd think before slamming someone and saying they have no common sense it would be wise to peruse the main "Vermiculite sources" thread and your regional "Vermiculite" thread. If that doesn't have a place near you listed try asking some of the folks in your area where they got their vermiculite.
Personal attacks are considered rude on any forum and will get you reported to the moderators right away. Please at least let some folks try to help you find this elusive ingredient before getting ugly.

I stand by what I say. You can drink the blue Kool Aid if you wish. If vermiculite was readily available there wouldn't be so many posts about it and you wouldn't be claiming you are making a vermiculite database.
Mr. Greenjeans

Back to top Go down

Replace Vermiculite Empty Location?

Post  SirTravers 3/28/2010, 12:41 pm

So where do you live? Do you have a feed store nearby? Do they have access to a Fertilome distributor? If they do you can get Stronglite vermiculite by Sungro there. They can get you the medium,coarse, and extra coarse. Easy as that.
Gardening.com has an entire section devoted to vermiculite sources as well as the National Home Gardening Club. We're all willing to help but you'll have to stop slammin everyone that's trying to be helpful.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  swripley 3/28/2010, 12:42 pm

Sadly Mr Greenjeans, you have missed the whole point of the forum IMHO.
swripley
swripley

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/28/2010, 12:47 pm

Mr. Greenjeans,

We are here to help one another in a positive, friendly, and fun environment. If it is not possible for you to contribute to the forum in that manner, I kindly ask that you express your opinions elsewhere.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 3/28/2010, 12:48 pm

I was having the same problem I went to several places with no luck. Then I remembered a small family run nursery and gave them a call, they were more than happy to help me out. So you may want to give them a call and if they don't have it they will more than likely get it for you.
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Greenjeans 3/28/2010, 12:55 pm

boffer wrote:Mr. Greenjeans,

We are here to help one another in a positive, friendly, and fun environment. If it is not possible for you to contribute to the forum in that manner, I kindly ask that you express your opinions elsewhere.

I have done nothing but say vermiculite is not a commonsense choice because of how difficult it is to find. Maybe you need to learn to deal with something that does not involve lipstick and Mel's backside.
Mr. Greenjeans

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/28/2010, 1:08 pm

I love your screen name. Mr. Greenjeans was my favorite character on the show.

If you don't want to source vermiculite, perhaps perlite might be easier to find. I've even seen people write about using styrofoam peanuts (or pellets, like in a bean bag chair)-- they're inert, lightweight, and keep the soil mix fluffy - which is the whole goal.

If you don't want to do that, then maybe this isn't the forum for you. There are hundreds of other gardening forums, maybe one of them will suit you.

There are plenty of folks here who could help you with any of your questions...but it would sure be easier if you weren't over there with your teeth bared and the hair on the back of your neck standing up.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Mr. Greenjeans 3/28/2010, 1:15 pm

LaFee wrote:I love your screen name. Mr. Greenjeans was my favorite character on the show.

If you don't want to source vermiculite, perhaps perlite might be easier to find. I've even seen people write about using styrofoam peanuts (or pellets, like in a bean bag chair)-- they're inert, lightweight, and keep the soil mix fluffy - which is the whole goal.

If you don't want to do that, then maybe this isn't the forum for you. There are hundreds of other gardening forums, maybe one of them will suit you.

There are plenty of folks here who could help you with any of your questions...but it would sure be easier if you weren't over there with your teeth bared and the hair on the back of your neck standing up.

I appreciate your response. I have asked questions and these elitists don't answer.
Mr. Greenjeans

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/28/2010, 1:18 pm

I want to thank everyone for their civil responses to Mr. Greenjeans. This thread is no longer productive so I'm locking it.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 3/28/2010, 1:36 pm

After reviewing the short number of posts authored by Mr. Greenjeans, it is clear that he is in violation the of Terms of Agreement he acknowledged while registering, and I have addressed the issue accordingly.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum