Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? Toplef10Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? I22gcj10Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? Toplef10Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? I22gcj10Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:45 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:19 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot?

5 posters

Go down

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? Empty Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot?

Post  lavamom 3/27/2010, 4:27 pm

I am in the process of starting my first 4x4 SFG. I am new to SFG and new to gardening in general. I was planning on putting in 16 different types of vegetables and herbs. But from reading several recent posts, I have gathered that some things shouldn't be put into a square foot plot near other things, because they spread - such as mint. Is this type of information outlined anywhere? A list that could tell me what I can safely plant in a shared 4x4 grid, and what should be in a container by itself.

In case it helps, this is the list of what I had planned to put in: tomato, sugar snap peas, cucumber, eggplant, basil, mint, cilantro, bush bean, radish, swiss chard, viola, carrot, lettuce mix, lettuce mix, parsley, strawberry.

Does anyone see any problems? I guess I can't put the mint in there?
lavamom

Back to top Go down

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? Empty Re: Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot?

Post  lisaphoto 3/27/2010, 5:58 pm

My rule is if it is a perennial, I'm not going to put it in my SFG. Mint spreads, as do strawberries. It might be a good idea to have the strawberries in their own box or planter.
lisaphoto
lisaphoto

Female Posts : 361

http://www.MomentsToRememberPhotography.com

Back to top Go down

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? Empty Re: Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot?

Post  swripley 3/27/2010, 7:06 pm

Lavamom,

I too am new to SFG but have a mint bed that is several years old. From my experience I must caution DO NOT put mint in you SFG. I have my bed in partial shade and unfriendly soil and it is everything I can to contain it. I can only image what would happen if it were in full sun in a bed of lovely Mel's Mix.
swripley
swripley

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/27/2010, 9:51 pm

As has already been stated, mint can be very invasive. Strawberries will also propagate quickly by sending off "runners" to create new plants within 2-5 inches of the parent plant / mother ship. I have strawberries in my SFG but I do watch them and pull up any new plants that I don't want.
As per your question regarding a LIST of what should and shouldn't be put in I'm not aware of one - although the rule of "no perennials" given above is generally a good one. Everything else on your list looks fine.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  lavamom 3/28/2010, 2:11 am

Thank you for all the feedback! I think I will give the strawberry a try, but pinch off any runners. Per your advice, the mint will have to be separated.

Thanks again - this forum is SUCH a help.
lavamom

Back to top Go down

Newbie ?: when to use SFG vs. a pot? Empty Another Peanut from the Gallery

Post  Lavender Debs 3/28/2010, 8:46 am

Lava violas are also perennial. They are SO easy to keep happy in a pot. Strawberries too. Future fruit comes from the sisters (runners) so you might want to read up on controlling at least some of them instead of pinching all of them. I just pulled up all kinds of spearmint and chocolate mint. The roots and shoots are sitting in a bucket out in the rain and look quite healthy. I've just had so much going on that I have not got them into another pot yet. But it is spring break and I hope to have time for that soon.

Tim what kind of berries do you grow? My sisters will travel as far as a foot from the mother. 2 to 5 inches might make berry life easier!

Deborah ....whose mother hates mint because grandpa always planted it by the outhouse .... she doesn't hate outhouses though .... humm
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell 3/28/2010, 10:21 am

Lavender Debs wrote:
Tim what kind of berries do you grow? My sisters will travel as far as a foot from the mother. 2 to 5 inches might make berry life easier!
I'll have to dig up the label and get back to you. I recall planting two types but can't name them at the moment (it was a year ago). They're not running very far may be due their confinement in a 3' x 3' space.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  lavamom 3/28/2010, 2:21 pm

Tim - is your 3'x3' bed just strawberries? Or is it shared with other plants?
lavamom

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down