Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Toplef10June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet I22gcj10June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Toplef10June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet I22gcj10June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet

+2
boffer
Furbalsmom
6 posters

Go down

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Empty June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet

Post  Furbalsmom 6/1/2011, 1:41 pm

Here it is June 1 and still no tomatoes, peppers or eggplants are planted in their final homes. The temperature and sun are just not cooperating and I don’t have enough gallon milk jugs to protect everything. Sad

Peppers June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Pepper10

TomatoesJune in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Tomato11

The lettuces, broccoli and sugar snap peas are looking good and I have been waiting for company this weekend to harvest more of the luscious lettuce for dinner, I wanted to make sure everyone got a big salad. Leaf lettuce was planted 16 to a square but I usually harvest using the cut and come again process so they seem to do just fine even with that close spacing.

Sunset/Mottistone lettucesJune in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Sunset10

Two Star and RevolutionJune in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Two_st11

The great news is that the tulle over table top one has been a great success, no cabbage worms on my broccoli or cabbages.

Not pretty but it worksJune in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Sugar_11

Baby BroccoliJune in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Brocco10

My first artichoke is almost ready to harvest. It is the only one so far, but I have hopes for more. This artichoke wintered over and looks pretty darn good. The artichokes I started from seed this winter are not doing well at all, in fact most died for no apparent reason before I could transplant to the garden.

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Artich11

Bush beans and pole beans were just planted this past weekend, so no need to photograph empty Mel’s Mix.

How about you? What is going on in other gardens in the PNW?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Empty Re: June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet

Post  boffer 6/1/2011, 5:19 pm

This turned out to be the Year of the Broccoli at my house. 50 seeds planted in an H3 (heated hoop house), with a 96% germination rate. My big mistake was putting warm and cool crops in the same H3. It made it impossible to harden off the broccoli plants before transplanting. Surprisingly, I didn't lose any transplants; they were stagnant for a while, especially since temps dropped to 25° soon after I transplanted some. I spread the transplanting out over 4 weeks; most of the plants have caught up with each other. These are the lush cauliflower and broccoli plants in the same H3 with tomatoes, pepper, and basils. I kept the temps up for the warm crops and these guys thrived.
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0316

These are the transplants. The plants aren't nearly as big or lush, but my first two harvests were from these guys and not the H3 guys.
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0318

This is the other end of the H3. It's a happy, out of control jungle of tomatoes that I don't know what to do with!
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0317

Here are a couple of Brandywines outside that I protect with cloches every night. Their enthusiasm leaves a lot to be desired! My corn patch is behind them. With the plastic on the ground, the soil temp did reach 60° on 5/20 so I quickly planted my wad. No sprouts yet.
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0410

This is a spaghetti squash in an H3.
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0411

This is his brother that got transplanted outside a couple weeks ago.
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0412

The weather really kicked my butt last year. I had to direct seed all my squash and cukes two and three times because it was so cold and wet that nothing germinated. By the time they started growing, there wasn't enough season left for them to fully develop. I'm sprouting my squashes and cukes in an H3 this year; so far so good. Although I haven't been able to harden them off because they're in the same box as tomatoes, I haven't lost any from transplanting. I use both hands to scoop up as much MM under the transplant as possible and move it to it's new home. All my cuke and squash transplants are showing small signs of growth, and I'm sure they will bust loose when we get a couple days in the 70's next week!

Better behaved toms and a few more cukes waiting to be transplanted.
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0413

My first planting of beans on the right; peas are on the left; both planted on 5/12
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0414

Peas planted the first week of Feb. They're a bit slow this year!
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Dscn0415

C'mon warm weather!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Empty Re: June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet

Post  walshevak 6/1/2011, 5:29 pm

These picture really illustrate how much veggies need some heat.
Those broccoli are awsome.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/2/2011, 2:48 am

wow furb and boffer you pic's are amazing!!.....your broc's are so much bigger then mine.....

these were planted indoors from seed on 3-19-11 and are in my SFG
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_11

these were my extra's...just incase broc's & cali's planted indoors same date as the others 3-19-11 and are next to my three sisters garden in the ground
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_12

here is a cali in the SFG i got from out school plant sale....he is doing awesome compared to my others....you can see one of mine 2 sqaures to the left....they were at one point the same size.....not sure if differnt seeds will grow better then others.....they are in the same MM get the same water and compost tea....?
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_13

here is my corn....its coming along....it was really stunted there for awhile and looked a bit weak....but today it looked like its decided to do something Very Happy does anyone know how tall should i let my corn get before planting my beans?
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_14

well i got a couple of surprise's today in the garden....remember when all my baby cucumbers died off because i put them out to early...and i replaced them with some store bought ones....cause the seeds i sowed in the ground were not coming up....well...well....look who decided to join the group Laughing top larger one from the store....little baby guy on the bottom is a welcome surprise
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_15

second surprise of the day.....does there look to be tiny flower buds on the under neath of my crook neck squash?
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_16

when do you know its time to harvest your onions?
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_17

first time growing garlic
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_18

last but not least....the most exciting.....lady bugs and bee's!
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_19
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_01_20
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/2/2011, 9:58 am

Boffer, I am convinced the H3 is what I need. I am so glad you have breen generous with your ideas and plans. I have purchased my heating cables, but still need insulation and another table top, I guess that will be my late summer, fall project.

Looking forward to trying to grow with heat and have real sturdy, tomatoes, broccoli and squash next spring and early summer.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/2/2011, 12:39 pm

Those are some beautiful gardens! Eye-candy for a rainy day. Because your gardens are so pretty and my grass is getting so ugly, I'm just going to list out my early June chores.

The Rest of the PNW seems to have their Brussels Sprouts in already. I am just fixen to start mine. I like them best when kissed by cold weather so I wait to start them until June. It didn't happen last year but seed is in hand this year. I have a red sprout called Rubine and a green called Roodnerf.

The soil blocks of green cucumbers, zucchini, Delicatta, and Buttercup squash have been put into bucket size pots of MM. They look happy. The hot weekend of the 4th and 5th should make them even happier. I plan to start the white cucumber, a Cinderella pumpkin and a sweet momma squash soon (like today).

The covered square of Provider beans has sprouted under the cloche. Today (Thursday 6/2) or tomorrow I'll put in another square of Provider and one of Royal Burgundy bush beans (both are said to tolerate cooler soil better than white seeded beans). I think I will also put in a square of "Rockwell" dry beans (a local cranberry type soup bean.....local being Whidbey Island Heirloom) The rest of my beans will have to wait a couple of weeks for warmer weather.

The basil starts are looking good. so are the pepper and eggplants. I intend to put them into the Tomato tent sometime today so that they have a couple of days to settle in before the hot weekend comes. Time to start more basil and salad (including radishes and scallions). The slugs ate all but one of my Chard plants. I need more chard too. If I can find a place I want more kohlrabi.

It has been so cold that none of my melons have sprouted yet. Hope they get their go on this weekend.

Deborah….who has posted all kinds of pictures in the Toy Box thread. LOVE seeing all of yours!!

@FBmom….beautiful artichoke. I lost mine in a winter wind storm.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/2/2011, 12:58 pm

Furbalsmom wrote:Boffer, I am convinced the H3 is what I need. I am so glad you have breen generous with your ideas and plans.

Super! I look forward to comparing notes. I figure it's going to take a couple years of messing around to get efficient. This year has been a little of this and a little of that to see what works. At this point in time, my plan (subject to change) for next year is starting one H3 in late Jan. of greens, carrots, beets, and scallions for earliest eating. One box will be strictly for germinating for eventual transplanting. (I could never do what you do with all your germinating and up-potting stuff inside; it would drive me crazy!) Third box will be for tomatoes; my timing was way off this year; I should have started them later.

Pretty neat on the artichoke. I've never ever gotten one this early in the year.
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Empty Only two days later, I can't believe it

Post  Furbalsmom 6/3/2011, 5:04 pm

77 degrees and sunny June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 485967

I have a second artichoke!!!! it was hiding in the leaves
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Found_10
The peas have grown up one whole trellis square, about 7 inches, in only two days
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Sugar_12
Potatoes are a little yellow, they need more water, my fault. I need to put them right next to the Table Tops so I don't forget they are there Embarassed
June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet Potato10

Last edited by Furbalsmom on 6/3/2011, 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added current temp)
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 6/3/2011, 5:16 pm

And now I'm drooling....

I got my first sad harvest today. I dug up three radishes. There little tops were sticking up above the dirt so I thought it was time to pick them. They didn't taste all that amazing.... I think it was too early. They are on the small side. They are pink french breakfast radishes that are suppose to be sweet, they weren't, tasted kind of like dirt (yes I washed them) and kind of like a pea... it's was odd. Luckily I left more in the ground than I took out.

I really can't wait until I have this planting thing down and I have continuous crops plated at the right time. Those pictures all look so good!

On a side note, got a laugh today when Al Roker said the Pacific Northwet talking about our weather and another round of clouds in the Pacific aiming at us. I'm in the desert and it's still raining raining raining.
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 6/7/2011, 12:43 am

We are thinking it is a cool spring...

I found pea blossoms today, on the seeds I planted outdoors on 2/4 and 2/18. 4 MONTHS!

Nothing promising yet on the pea plantings in Mar, Apr, and May.

boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 6/7/2011, 8:47 am

That is so kewl about the peas Boffer! I'm not finding the peas that I planted in March or April. Only one type of the peas I planted in February can be found. You are ahead of the game in my eyes.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/9/2011, 8:47 am

look what i found yesterday cheers

June in the Pacific NorthWest aka NorthWet 06_08_10

hugs
rose....who is up way to early this morning
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 6/10/2011, 9:50 pm

Beautiful Rose. Is that a Sugar Snap?
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 6/10/2011, 10:09 pm

yes....they are sugar star snap peas Very Happy

the one veggie that the kids fight over LOL.....so this year they planted their own....so we now have the *family* zone veggies & *his* and *her's* veggies Laughing

.....they also have zoned the strawberries...... lol!

hugs
rose....who doesnt mind the fighting over the veggies.....could be worse right?
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down