Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Real BBQ? Toplef10Real BBQ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Real BBQ? I22gcj10Real BBQ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Real BBQ? Toplef10Real BBQ? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Real BBQ? I22gcj10Real BBQ? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Real BBQ?

+15
Nonna.PapaVino
RoOsTeR
Goosegirl
middlemamma
acara
walshevak
Old Hippie
BackyardBirdGardner
cienfuegos
Furbalsmom
No_Such_Reality
sceleste54
westie42
barmstr
boffer
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Real BBQ? Empty Real BBQ?

Post  boffer 5/27/2011, 11:23 pm

It's getting close to my 9pm start time for a 20 hour low and slow cook of a couple pork shoulders on a ceramic grill. (for pulled pork)

Any BBQ aficionados out there in SFG land? I'd love to try some personalized 'can't go wrong' rubs and sauces from you experts down south.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Real BBQ? Empty Real BBQ?

Post  barmstr 5/27/2011, 11:47 pm

Nothing like pulled pork that's been cooking for 12-14 hours. Most of the recipes and from experience is that 12-14 hours if enough for pulled pork. I have eo reload wood and charcoal in my smoker every hour so 20 hours is not on my schedule.

Some say to put a pan of water under the meat to keep it moist (especially if your using an electric smoker). I haven't noticed any difference when I do this.

Rubs are fun. All I use is Onion powder (from the SFG) and Garlic Salt. Rub this all over the room temperature meat. Comes out great. Might want to watch this short video on barbequing from Yahoo. Here is the link - Barbeque Experts. I also keep my temperature between 225 and 250 degrees religiously. Also, put the meat fat side up. No barbeque sauce until your ready to serve the pulled pork.

Wood-Search the web for types of wood used. I use Oak, apricot and plum. Apricot and Plum are more for fish but who cares. Misquote can give you a slight bitter taste. I don't use it unless I have. Soak the wood chips in water for some time and you get more smoke. I also have to use Kingsford charcoal to keep it going at time. No fluied starters. They can leave a weird taste at time.

My wife makes the best homemade rolls (buns) for the pulled pork. Have cold sweet coleslaw ready for the delicious meal. Most people in California that I've talked to about the serving of the pulled pork have not heard of putting the coleslaw on top of the pulled pork in the bun. I get some really weird looks about this but I make believes out of them.

Veggies-Roast some at the end. If you have any peaches or apricots-Cut in half, take the seed out and butter them lightly. Add brown sugar to the pit area and roast them skin side down for a short time. Fabulous.

Man, am I hungry now. To late to cook on the barbeque tonight. Tomorrow, chicken or whatever I can find that needs to be smoked. Let us know how it goes.

Enjoy the adventure.
Bruce Laughing
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Real BBQ? Empty Re: Real BBQ?

Post  westie42 5/27/2011, 11:54 pm

I have lived and traveled all over the south during the 80's and made business trips there for the next 25 years. Enjoying bbq was a driving passion then followed closely by finding fresh made boiled peanuts. But one of the best for bbq was south of Austin, Tx at Driftwood called The Salt Lick. They have a web site and sell quite a few items there check it out just for fun. Going there is an experience one will not forget. http://www.saltlickbbq.com/cgi-bin/commerce.cgi?preadd=action&key=T101
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  sceleste54 5/28/2011, 12:07 am

I LOVE BBQ!! I like to rub down boneless pork butt with just salt and pepper and sometimes a little garlic salt and/or brown sugar and let it sit in the fridge overnight. I use Hickory whenever I can get it. I'll use Oak if I have to and its well seasoned. Applewood has a nice smoke too but my favorite is Hickory !! I do NOT care for Mesquite at all !! I too strive to keep the temp between 200 and 225, and I usually end up smoking the meat 14 to 16 hours. Next time I smoke I'm going to try something different. I'm going to put smaller chunks, maybe around 3 to 4 pounds on the smoker for 3 to 4 hours, and then finish it off in the pressure cooker and see if it comes off as flavorful and tender as some beef roasts I've done lately. If I could do pulled pork in about 5 hours I have a feeling we'd be eating it a lot more often !!
sceleste54

Female Posts : 383

Back to top Go down

Real BBQ? Empty Real BBQ

Post  barmstr 5/28/2011, 12:10 am

Here are a couple of web pages to go to that have really great information and recipes: Youtube BBQ Pit Boys and Amazing Ribs. Also, according to Country Cooking or one of their cooking magazine, they say that smoking it for only 3 hours and then cooking it in the oven for the rest of the time is a good as 12-14 hours on the smoker. I like the real thing-smoker.

Enjoy.
Bruce Rolling Eyes
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 5/28/2011, 12:48 am

barmstr wrote:Here are a couple of web pages to go to that have really great information and recipes: Youtube BBQ Pit Boys and Amazing Ribs. Also, according to Country Cooking or one of their cooking magazine, they say that smoking it for only 3 hours and then cooking it in the oven for the rest of the time is a good as 12-14 hours on the smoker. I like the real thing-smoker.

Enjoy.
Bruce Rolling Eyes

I've done that cooking magazine recipe. If you are a gas/propane griller, all I'll say is give it a shot, it's actually, really really good and doesn't take the entire day to do.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/28/2011, 1:14 am

Well, the meat's on at 225°. I'm using cherry for smoke.

The variables are unlimited, and I find that rather daunting. Serious BBQers are as opinionated as gardeners! Wink
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/28/2011, 1:30 am

Serious BBQers are as opinionated as gardeners Wink

You'd better believe it, Buster!

I work more on my sauces and let others do the BBQing. No sauce on the meat until it is almost ready to serve. DH rarely believes me on this Sad Most sauces with sugar will burn on the grill or smoker.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Real BBQ? Empty this is how texans do BBQ

Post  cienfuegos 5/28/2011, 2:28 am

if you are a latino that has lived in texas then east coast then back in texas with many BBQ ethnicities influencing your style. boffer I don't mean to hijack your thread but i think you are going to enjoy this because you are a do it yourselfer(from what i have seen in the pics you posted). hopefully you will be inspired.

This is the "Caja China"/Cajun Microwave/El Ataur/Just Plain Yummy

70-90 lbs of pig in 2-3 hrs max

14 chickens in the box with 25 roasted corn and 50 hot dogs on top 1 and a half hours

Recipe

Step One: Buy wood. Buy metal. Call the frat bros for help. Make wood box. Line box with aluminum or sheet metal. Drink a beer.

Real BBQ? 110

Step Two: Take time to admire your contraption. Drink a beer. Take a picture. (DO NOT cook your curious 5 pound chihuahua. It doesn't make for good eating.)

Real BBQ? 210

Step Three: Take said contraption to the beach. Throw a slab of pig inside. Start fire on top. Drink beer.

Real BBQ? 310

Step Four: Take picture of 80lb pork chop. Drink beer. Eat!
Real BBQ? 410

If you don't partake in the swine, be a fowl person.

Step 1: Take box thingy to bro's place. Take picture. Have beer.

Real BBQ? 511

Step Two: Enlist the help of 14-16 chickens. Marinate them in beer. Start fire.

Real BBQ? 610

Step Three: Flip over chickens only once (same with pig).

Real BBQ? 710

Step Four: Sit back enjoy fire. Consume....you guessed it beer!
Real BBQ? 810

Step Five(optional for smoke flavor lovers): Place cooked birds on top of fire and char to taste. WARNING!!!!! Meat is extremely tender when cooked in the box. Handle with caution and lots of love or else it falls apart. Enjoy!!!

Real BBQ? 910

If you are interested in a random project I'll send you the instructions and diagrams on how to build a caja china. While it may not be a traditional BBQ style, it is how some latinos like to eat. The marinade (injected, rubbed, or soaked) tends to be the focus.

all the best,

cienfuegos AKA "one hundred fires"
cienfuegos

Back to top Go down

Post  cienfuegos 5/28/2011, 2:38 am

oh and if you don't like liquid libations please insert "favorite SFG vegetable" in place of beer.

cienfuegos
cienfuegos

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/28/2011, 10:12 am

That is really neat! I've not seen one of those before. Seeing the shelving unit used for a rack reminded me of when we used to turn the lid of a metal garbage can upside to use as a grill. We used the rack out of the oven and supported it with empty soup cans.

Can you post your favorite pork rub?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/28/2011, 10:29 am

Food from SFG forum, and you are posting about BBQ pork? Now, how the heck do you get pigs to grow in an SFG?

I know hell is freezing over when pigs fly out of my, well you know.... So, is this like the Rapture? ...meaning it's getting close?

Looks good, guys. My family is asking me to make my Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin. Low and slow, for me, is about 45 minutes on the barbie!
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/28/2011, 10:32 am

Furbalsmom wrote:

I work more on my sauces and let others do the BBQing. No sauce on the meat until it is almost ready to serve. DH rarely believes me on this Sad Most sauces with sugar will burn on the grill or smoker.

Real BBQ? 68739 Yes! Yes! Yes!

My problem with BBQ is that I really dislike a lot of the added or artificial smoke flavours that you find in many store bought products. Maybe it is the mesquite that I don't like. I much prefer my own sauces and rubs as well. I have been trying to find a nice pulled pork recipe that does not have that store bought 'fake smoke' BBQ flavour.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 5/28/2011, 10:33 am

All the side dishes can come from the sfg. Razz
I'm planning a macaroni salad using my own onions and parsley and a big ole mess of turnips greens.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/28/2011, 10:37 am

Sauces also crystallize caused the skin on the outside of the meat to burn, or at the very least take on that appearance.

Sugared sauces should not be on meat over the grill for more than about a minute or two.

But, I would contend that sauces on meat, period, ruin the cook's efforts....provided he knows what he's doing. If he burned/dried out the meat, by all means, douse it with sauces.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 5/28/2011, 10:41 am

I'm crying from laughing so hard ..

(DO NOT cook your curious 5 pound chihuahua. It doesn't make for good eating.)
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/28/2011, 10:54 am

BackyardBirdGardner wrote:...Low and slow, for me, is about 45 minutes on the barbie!

That's called grillin' in the BBQ world! Sugar is often used in rubs. (sauces are for after the cooking is done)

Here's the rub I'm trying right now; I've got a beautiful bark.

Mix together thoroughly the following:
* 1/4 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup Paprika
* 2 tblsp coarse Salt (sea or kosher)
* 2 tblsp Black Pepper
* 1 tblsp Cayenne Pepper
* 4 tsp Cumin
* 2 tsp dry mustard
* 2 tsp Onion Powder
* 2 tsp Garlic Powder
* 2 tsp Thyme Powder
* 2 tsp Sage
* 2 tsp Coriander Powder
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/28/2011, 11:04 am

acara wrote:I'm crying from laughing so hard ..

If you have what my Chinese friends call a "four eye dog" ..........you know how some dogs have light coloured eye spots of fur above their eyes giving them the appearance of having four eyes..........they say those are the ones to eat. At least that is what my friends told me. They say.. 'Ooooo! Foh-eye dog! Rots of meat on foh-eye dog!' And then they laughed.

Gwynn

Last edited by Old Hippie on 5/28/2011, 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : sentence structure)
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 5/28/2011, 2:46 pm

Real BBQ? 60389
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 5/28/2011, 8:30 pm

Cienfuegos - I am a do-it-yourself gal - please PM or e-mail instructions for way cool fire box!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/29/2011, 10:50 am

Old Hippie wrote:
acara wrote:I'm crying from laughing so hard ..

If you have what my Chinese friends call a "four eye dog" ..........you know how some dogs have light coloured eye spots of fur above their eyes giving them the appearance of having four eyes..........they say those are the ones to eat. At least that is what my friends told me. They say.. 'Ooooo! Foh-eye dog! Rots of meat on foh-eye dog!' And then they laughed.

Gwynn

Real BBQ? 262465 Real BBQ? 889526
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/8/2011, 7:53 am

I'm going to bring this thread back from the dead Razz
I am a low and slow bbq'er all the way. After having several different types and styles of smokers/grills and not being all together pleased with the results, I made my own of a 55 gallon drum. I didn't invent it. Just researched it. Some of the top bbq dogs in the country use them. Even in compitition. My favorite smoker would be a Big Green Egg, however, with three kids and all their critters on the farm, I just cant justify the price. Here is my Ugly Drum Smoker (aka UDS):
Real BBQ? IMAG0060-1
Real BBQ? IMAG0057-1
I built it for well under $100. One of the main things I love about this pit is its fuel efficiency. My coal basket can hold about 12 lbs. of wood and coal and easily burn for 12-13 hrs, with fuel left over. On my offset grill/smoker, I would go thru 20-30 lbs. for the same cook.
Here are some action shots!
Real BBQ? IMG_20110704_110813
Real BBQ? IMG_20110704_110806
mmm. Tenderloin:
Real BBQ? IMG_20110704_111627
Real BBQ? IMG_20110704_113214
little cornbread!
Real BBQ? IMG_20110702_154546
Real BBQ? IMG_20110702_125736
Giant 7 bone roast. Excellent for low and slow and dirt cheap!
Real BBQ? IMAG0125-2

Real BBQ? Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino 11/8/2011, 10:31 am

Wow, nKedrOoStEr, beautiful job! (both on the smoker AND the BBQ shown on the grill) Questions: where did you come by the grill grate that fits the 55 gal. barrel; what is the circular fitting that appears to be about 6-7" below the grate and around the inside edge of the barrel; is the copper pipe that appears at the bottom, with the handle, for regulating air flow? Inquiring minds want to know. Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  Luci Dawson 11/8/2011, 1:40 pm

@cienfuegos: I'm not Boffer, but I'd love a copy of your plans for the box. Beats the plain vanilla Weber I now have hands down!

good idea
Luci Dawson
Luci Dawson

Female Posts : 267

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 11/8/2011, 8:27 pm

Nonna.PapaVino wrote:Wow, nKedrOoStEr, beautiful job! (both on the smoker AND the BBQ shown on the grill) Questions: where did you come by the grill grate that fits the 55 gal. barrel; what is the circular fitting that appears to be about 6-7" below the grate and around the inside edge of the barrel; is the copper pipe that appears at the bottom, with the handle, for regulating air flow? Inquiring minds want to know. Nonna

Thanks Nonna! The best information for building an UDS can be found here: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23436
That is hands down the best bbq site on the web too in my opinion!
The grate is a 22.5" Weber grate which can be found at HomeDepot, Lowes, etc. The smoke exhaust is a 2" male copper adapter. I am a plumber, so I have lots of stuff like that laying around. Nowadays that copper fitting is waaaay to pricey to be used for such a purpose lol.
Yes, that is a brass valve at the bottom to regulate airflow. There are also 2 others on each side that have plugs in them. I usually remove one plug and open the ball valve part way and she hums along at a beautiful steady 220 for hours on end. There is also a temp gauge I purchased at Lowes.
Here are some pics of what is called a "fatty". Which is usually what you end up being if you eat to many of them lol! What a Face

Roll out Jimmy Dean Sausage and sprinkle with your favorite rub:
Real BBQ? IMG00121
Stuff it with some tasty ingredients:
Real BBQ? IMG00122
Prepare yourself a bacon weaveL
Real BBQ? IMG00123
Roll up your fatty and wrap it with the bacon weave:
Real BBQ? IMG00120
Sprinkle on a lil bit more rub:
Real BBQ? IMG00126
Bbq them bad boys:
Real BBQ? IMG00126