Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turnips? Toplef10Turnips? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turnips? I22gcj10Turnips? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Turnips? Toplef10Turnips? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Turnips? I22gcj10Turnips? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Today at 11:00

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 8:26

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 8:19

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 20:22

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 20:14

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:50

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 22:13

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:49

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 21:25

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed 17 Apr 2024 - 15:17

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 5:04

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:22

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue 16 Apr 2024 - 1:15

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:37

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 11:33

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon 15 Apr 2024 - 6:26

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 14:50

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:24

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat 13 Apr 2024 - 13:16

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed 10 Apr 2024 - 10:43

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 20:40

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon 8 Apr 2024 - 19:28

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun 7 Apr 2024 - 8:41

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 19:30

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri 5 Apr 2024 - 13:08

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 11:58

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:24

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 10:09

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu 4 Apr 2024 - 4:50

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon 1 Apr 2024 - 15:05

Google

Search SFG Forum

Turnips?

+9
Megan
AtlantaAnn
daisyhill
Retired Member 1
candyfloss
ander217
kimbies
dixie
jjphoto
13 posters

Go down

Turnips? Empty Turnips?

Post  jjphoto Thu 25 Mar 2010 - 15:25

I did a search and found zero entries for turnips. What is everyone's favorite way to use turnips? I've had turnip greens before with spicy vinegar over them... excellent. Not sure how to make them though.

And what to do with the actual roots?
jjphoto
jjphoto

Male Posts : 125

http://www.lifewithduchess.com

Back to top Go down

Turnips? Empty turnips

Post  dixie Fri 26 Mar 2010 - 3:11

Another unhealthy recipe. Remember, I'm a country girl from Tennessee. Some things you HAVE to use bacon grease in: Green beans, turnips & cabbage. I'm pretty sure it's a state law that you have to use bacon grease in your cornbread instead of oil.

I don't like turnip greens, but I like the roots. Don't let them get too big (they'll be too strong/hot), baseball size or smaller. Peel them (apple peeler works great if you are doing a lot & they are smooth size). Either slice them thick or in wedges, cover with water, salt, pepper, a good sized pinch of sugar & about a teaspoon of bacon grease. I'm not being sarcastic here, but you have to cook them to death til the water is way down. They are wonderful the next day.

We also freeze turnips - just peel, slice & put in zip-lock freezer bags. No need to blanch them.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Turnips? Empty Re: Turnips?

Post  jjphoto Fri 26 Mar 2010 - 6:48

Thank you so much Dixie! We like our bacon grease in Texas too... can't have green beans without bacon and onions.
jjphoto
jjphoto

Male Posts : 125

http://www.lifewithduchess.com

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbies Fri 26 Mar 2010 - 7:04

I like to slice or wedge turnips (root), sprinkle with a little sea salt, spray with olive oil & slow roast for 40-60 mins or so. Yummy sweetness, esp when mixed with other root veggies. You can also cut the little ones in matchsticks & eat raw... good on salads, like a radish - adds a little bitterness.

Turnip greens you have to wash to death and it takes a trash bag full to get a pots worth! Greens need fatback. (bacon will do in a pinch) Save the pot likker (the liquid left after cooking) & crumble up your cornbread in that.
At an Indian restaurant here they blanch them, cut finely & lightly sautee with garlic & shallots. Delish! Chop them into soups like kale.

IMHO Collard greens are better - easier to clean cause the leaves are smoother... they can be used even when really big cause they don't get bitter.
kimbies
kimbies

Female Posts : 27

Back to top Go down

Turnips? Empty turnips

Post  dixie Fri 26 Mar 2010 - 8:24

Ooh, roasting does sound good. I'll give that a try.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Turnips? Empty Turnips

Post  ander217 Fri 26 Mar 2010 - 9:41

I agree with boiling them down with a little bacon grease and sugar in water, (spoken like a true southern girl,) but we also like them steamed, drizzled with a little olive oil, and sprinkled with salt.
We cut ours into french-fry shapes and add them raw to our fresh veggie trays. They're great for dippers or eaten with a little salt.
My favorite way to serve them is in a mix with other winter veggies, either roasted or stir-fried in a saute pan. I like to dice them about 1 inch, and stir-fry with other diced veggies in a little butter or olive oil. My favorite blend includes turnips, carrots, parsnips, celery root, brussel sprout halves, and celery. When they are crisp-tender remove from the heat and sprinkle with some crumbled bacon before serving. Mmmm good.
Some people like to serve mashed turnips, but they're not my thing.

We have always gardened in the traditional row-style and just built our first sfg box last week. When my husband went to till under last year's turnips and greens bed, he found several fresh turnips left that had survived all winter. What a nice and unexpected treat!
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  candyfloss Fri 9 Apr 2010 - 18:05

We only usually eat the roots, but when we have our own we will prbably eat the greens too.

we cook them and mash them along with potatoes (in the same pot). or add them to stews.Roast are good too.
candyfloss

Female Posts : 9

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 Fri 9 Apr 2010 - 18:18

Besides all the ways already listed (roasting is fabulous), I basically use them like potatoes. I'm diabetic so must severely limit potatoes which is my favourite food group. I often cook 1/3 potatoes, 1/3 cauliflower and 1/3 turnips and mash with butter and cream. Unless I tell folks, they rarely notice the difference. And it gives me my potato fix 'legally"! Turnips? Icon_biggrin
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  daisyhill Sat 10 Apr 2010 - 23:55

I've only ever had turnip chopped and boiled then mashed, or chopped and roasted. Both ways are good! I've never heard of anybody eating turnip tops before, but that's probably just a regional thing.
daisyhill
daisyhill

Female Posts : 25

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaAnn Sun 6 Jun 2010 - 6:30

Save the pot likker (the liquid left after cooking) & crumble up your cornbread in that. lol @ pot likker

IMHO Collard greens are better - easier to clean cause the leaves are smoother... they can be used even when really big cause they don't get bitter. i have a few collards in my spot that i'm hoping will fair better this summer than last. all last summer, those were the toughest most bitter collards i'd ever cooked. i finally gave up but continued to trim & nuture the plants thru the fall & winter. it was after the cool-down and frosts that they went from good to better to best. they served all my holiday meals, including new years, wonderfully.
AtlantaAnn
AtlantaAnn

Female Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sun 6 Jun 2010 - 7:04

Growing up, we never ate the turnip greens (must try that) but we ate them boiled and mashed with butter. My mother also made potato pancakes with half-and-half taters and turnips, those were very good, too.

When I was in grad school someone introduced me to rotmos, a Scandinavian dish which is basically carrots, turnips or swedes (rutabagas), and potatoes, roughly 1/3 each (or whatever you have), boiled and mashed together. Yum! Smile

Belfry, that mix with cauliflower sounds great, too. Somewhere (Moosewood cookbook?) there is a great cauliflower curry that even my picky husband likes.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  AliSmith13 Sun 6 Jun 2010 - 15:25

The only way I've ever had them was added to soups/chowders/stews. I use them just like a carrot or potato. It's great in a chicken-corn chowder as a substitute or in addition to carrots.
AliSmith13
AliSmith13

Female Posts : 49

http://aliscouponadventures.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Turnips? Empty turnips

Post  Butterbean Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 1:50

My neighbor introduced me to this way of eating turnips, and we love it.

Peel if you like (we don't). slice and boil till tender
drain, add butter to a skillet
add turnips and brown slightly. drizzle a little honey over them and serve warm.
Butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 4:32

Butterbean wrote:My neighbor introduced me to this way of eating turnips, and we love it.

add turnips and brown slightly. drizzle a little honey over them and serve warm.

When I was growing up, we boiled chunks of turnip until tender, then mashed them with butter and served warm.... pretty similar.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Turnips? Empty Turnip peels?

Post  ander217 Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 4:38

Butterbean wrote:My neighbor introduced me to this way of eating turnips, and we love it.

Butterbean, are you saying one doesn't have to peel turnips? I never knew that. Do they retain their purple color when cooked?
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 17:47

There was a great discussion about turnips and rutagabas not that long ago. Try this link to it below:

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/general-sfg-talk-f5/first-time-for-turnips-results-looking-good-t2178.htm?highlight=turnips

It was interesting to learn how everyone prepared them!
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  Butterbean Mon 28 Jun 2010 - 23:51

Butterbean, are you saying one doesn't have to peel turnips? I never knew that. Do they retain their purple color when cooked?

Truthfully, i have only prepared turnips this way ( slicing and boil and toss em in the fry pan a bit). and when my neighbor told me of this method, she didnt say peel....i have never prepared a turnip in my life before this.....so i didnt peel. as far as the color i do believe they do retain a tad bit of color..we gobble em up so quick i have really never paid that much attention......sorry Turnips? Icon_redface
Butterbean

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee Tue 29 Jun 2010 - 1:04

Belfrybat - try mashed celeriac/celery root -- it's scrumptious! You chop the root and boil it, then mash -- just like mashed potatoes. Very low in sugar, high in flavor - I make it regularly because celeriac is cheap and easy to come by here -- and it's really, really good (hubby asks for it specially).

When I make a roasted chicken, I pile chopped root veggies underneath the rack - carrots, potatoes, celeriac, turnips, parsnips - whatever I have on hand -- it keeps the grease from spattering and smoking, and it bastes the veggies in all the fat from the chicken.

We sometimes eat all the vegetables before we even touch the chicken.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Tue 29 Jun 2010 - 4:04

Butterbean wrote:

Truthfully, i have only prepared turnips this way ( slicing and boil and toss em in the fry pan a bit). and when my neighbor told me of this method, she didnt say peel....i have never prepared a turnip in my life before this.....so i didnt peel. as far as the color i do believe they do retain a tad bit of color..we gobble em up so quick i have really never paid that much attention......sorry Turnips? Icon_redface

Storebought, big ol' turnips can get a little leathery on the outside. Since you're growing them yourself, I'm sure they are nice and tender. Very Happy
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down