Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
newbie ?? about cucumbers Toplef10newbie ?? about cucumbers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

newbie ?? about cucumbers I22gcj10newbie ?? about cucumbers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
newbie ?? about cucumbers Toplef10newbie ?? about cucumbers 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

newbie ?? about cucumbers I22gcj10newbie ?? about cucumbers 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

newbie ?? about cucumbers

+3
quiltbea
Lavender Debs
FamilyGardening
7 posters

Go down

newbie ?? about cucumbers Empty newbie ?? about cucumbers

Post  FamilyGardening 5/19/2011, 4:16 am

Hello Very Happy

I have been a lurker for a year now and decided to join the group Rolling Eyes

I have really enjoyed reading about and seeing all of your gardens!

I have a question.....this year I have done most of my gardening from seed.....planted before hand inside the house under a grow light.
For some reason, after I put out my cucumbers into the garden a few days later they die....is it still to early to put out cucumbers?

every thing else seems to be doing good.....i had a couple broc's and califlower's not do so good ....due to slug damage Mad but the replacements are doing great Very Happy thank goodness i seeded a few extras!

sunflowers, peas, onions, lettuce and spinach doing awesome.....
beans and carrots just now coming up.....
Tomatoes, peppers doing good....i still have them up next to the house in their self watering containers to keep warm during the night low temps.....

this is my second year of square foot gardening.....i have two 4 x 4 box's and one 2x8 box

I also have two wine barrels and two garbage cans for my potatoes Laughing

something new this year....in my back yard we planted the three sisters garden.....is it normal for corn to be slow going?....i started them inside under lights in home made new's paper pots....so that the roots didnt get to disturbed....they are about three inch's or so tall....but have stayed that way for a while now....the corn is about 20 days or so old......any suggestion would be great Shocked

Sorry for the long intro and any spelling mistakes....... Embarassed

Our family is having a lot of fun again this year.....seems like the garden is growing all around us now.....we just keep adding....hanging basket here and there......LOL

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Female Posts : 2424

Back to top Go down

newbie ?? about cucumbers Empty Re: newbie ?? about cucumbers

Post  Lavender Debs 5/19/2011, 10:04 am

First, Hello! and welcome.

It is early for corn and cucumbers, beans are a coin toss this early most years, this year has been extra cold in Western Washington. Last year too. 2009 was good for early starts, but gardeners get to remember the good years but are forced to live in the moment.

It never feels good to loose anything, but seed can be restarted (I was going to say cheap but it just ain't so anymore)

In a flurry of optimism I stood in the warm air that graced us yesterday (Wednesday, May 18) and seeded soil blocks with cucumbers, three kinds of melons and squashes. I also put one square of early beans into a box. I know I might be replanting all of these, but at this stage I am not emotionally invested in those babies. On the other hand; my eggplant already has two things--two pare of true leaves and my heart. The tomatoes had become so labor intensive for me that at the end of the day I forgot to bring in my eggplant. The nighttime temperature plunged Tuesday night because the blanket-like cloud cover was gone. After I gave the eggplant babies a drink from the rain barrel they fell over and wilted from the chill. Much to my relief they came back in the heat of the afternoon. Now I am idgy about a trip to Sequim this weekend.

If you have been reading us for a while, you know that both Furbalsmom and Boffer use plastic covers over their boxes. They are magnificent structures (Boffer’s are even heated!). I think the book talks about making a simple-removable cover. It might be just what your corn needs to wake up and grow. Your cucumbers might need to be replaced. Another problem for cucumbers is peppers. Both sweet and hot kill cucumbers that are planted near by.

Can I just say how fun it was to read about your garden!?! Thanks for posting that. Looking forward to more.

Deborah....watching the temperature go up with the sun.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/19/2011, 11:28 am

Hi FamilyG,
Welcome to the forum.

I'm not in the PNW but I can tell you cukes have to be planted AFTER the last frost free date, about a wk or even two. Any disturbance to the roots can kill them, that's why most folks start them from seed directly in the garden.

Hey Debs, I never knew about peppers affecting cukes before. Nice to know. I had to recheck my garden plan and luckily no peppers are scheduled in the same beds as my cuke towers. Thanks for the tip.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/19/2011, 12:33 pm

Thank you for the warm welcome! Very Happy

I do have straw down in the three sisters garden.......maybe they will perk up once our weather stays steady with some warm sun Laughing

I did plant some cucumber seed's direct into the soil after loosing my babies I hand raised in the house.......(shhhh.....i also bought replacements affraid at the store yesterday)...but brought them in last night for a sleep over until i was able to get some advice from you guys newbie ?? about cucumbers 109486

wow....another warm day today!.......i hope you all are enjoying these few days of sunny its wonderful!

hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 5/19/2011, 12:52 pm

I wanted to jump in and say welcome aboard! You have a great region and are in good hands.

I wish I could help with the cucumber issues, but I am growing them for the first time, too.

I would also encourage you to share your garden with us when you get the chance. I quickly fell in love with watching everyone else's gardens, too. Digital photography allows us all to share at will now, so I take almost every opportunity I can.

Hope to see more of you now that you came out of the weeds....lol. Glad you did.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/19/2011, 3:59 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:Hello Very Happy

I have been a lurker for a year now and decided to join the group Rolling Eyes

I have really enjoyed reading about and seeing all of your gardens!

I have a question.....this year I have done most of my gardening from seed.....planted before hand inside the house under a grow light.
For some reason, after I put out my cucumbers into the garden a few days later they die....is it still to early to put out cucumbers?

every thing else seems to be doing good.....i had a couple broc's and califlower's not do so good ....due to slug damage Mad but the replacements are doing great Very Happy thank goodness i seeded a few extras!

sunflowers, peas, onions, lettuce and spinach doing awesome.....
beans and carrots just now coming up.....
Tomatoes, peppers doing good....i still have them up next to the house in their self watering containers to keep warm during the night low temps.....

this is my second year of square foot gardening.....i have two 4 x 4 box's and one 2x8 box

I also have two wine barrels and two garbage cans for my potatoes Laughing

something new this year....in my back yard we planted the three sisters garden.....is it normal for corn to be slow going?....i started them inside under lights in home made new's paper pots....so that the roots didnt get to disturbed....they are about three inch's or so tall....but have stayed that way for a while now....the corn is about 20 days or so old......any suggestion would be great Shocked

Sorry for the long intro and any spelling mistakes....... Embarassed

Our family is having a lot of fun again this year.....seems like the garden is growing all around us now.....we just keep adding....hanging basket here and there......LOL

hugs
rose
newbie ?? about cucumbers 654548 Rosse newbie ?? about cucumbers 654548
So very nice that you finally joined us after a year of lurking newbie ?? about cucumbers 13688

A couple of things that could affect your cucumbers.
1. Has your soil warmed up yet? Cucumbers need a minimum of 60 degree soil temperature to germinate. My Table Tops have just warmed to 60 degrees. My bed in the community garden is still just 54 degrees brrrrrrr.
2. Are you hardening off your little transplants for about a week before they go into your garden? If they have been coddled in the house they become fairly fragile and stress too much if they do not get a chance to acclimate to the harsh outdoors of our cool, damp PNW.

Please keep us posted on your progress and we absolutely I love you to share pictures.

Again, Welcome
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  FamilyGardening 5/19/2011, 11:04 pm

Thank you all again for all the welcomes!!

and yes.....as soon as i can i will take and post some picks Very Happy

We had our first salad from the garden tonight....it was sooo yummy.....spinach, mix lettuce and a green onion Smile my daugher (11) said it was the best salad she ever tasted and went back for seconds Laughing my son (4) even tried some....he didnt care for the dressing i used....but hey...he tried something green and leafy....LOL Wink both kids help a lot with the garden, and this year my husband made them each a self watering container, using a ruber maid containers.....they each picked out the seeds they wanted to plant and are so proud to see all of them coming up Smile we still used the square foot planting....its been a great teaching them about differnt plants and how many can fit into a square.....i used a paper towel and drew out the square and layed them on top of the soil....then they were able to figure out how much of what veggie or flower could fit into the area the have to work with.....they also help plan the bigger garden and helped to pick out what we wanted to plant this year...along with trying some new things too Very Happy

I have been taking my babies out to visit the garden.......i did the cucumbers for a week.....i really believe now that it has been to cold for them....i havent tested my soil....can i use my kitchen/cooking thermometer?

Im glad i joined too!
hugs
rose
FamilyGardening
FamilyGardening

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/20/2011, 3:30 am

Rose,

Embarassed I used my kitchen meat thermometer Embarassed to check out the soil temperature.

I was very careful to clean it afterward. I guess I will break down and buy one just for the garden. My DH has this thing about me putting the meat thermometer into compost and then food. :scratch:
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  WendySue67 5/20/2011, 1:00 pm

This is my first year with SFG and I made the plastic covers like described in the book (with some help from the certified SFG lady at Home Depot) and it's the best thing I ever did. If you're worried about temperatures, they have worked wonders! We warmed up nicely and I planted a whole bunch of stuff, only for the weather to turn on me--it's been constant rain and temps in the mid 40s for this entire week. My plants have been covered almost constantly with the plastic (I go out at about 11 a.m. and vent the corner so they aren't completely cooped up) but if the sun comes out I uncover them. Everything looks very happy in their little hut--I have new growth on my tomatoes and peppers and my cucumber and melon seeds have sprouted. Because the plastic gets condensation, they are also staying fairly well watered without me doing anything.

A word of warning.... I killed off my whole first crop of plants with the plastic covers. It was about 50 degrees outside so I assumed they were safe to stay covered but they were cooking because the sun was beating down on them. Someone on this forum said a good rule of thumb is if the sun is shining the temp will be about 40 degrees warmer under the covers, 10 degrees warmer on a cloudy day. So now if I see the sun, I immediately uncover them.

I am still learning... and have gotten a lot of help on this forum so keep asking questions! You'll be glad you have access to all these awesome gardeners!
WendySue67

Back to top Go down

Post  MCard 5/20/2011, 3:15 pm

FamilyGardening wrote:Hello Very Happy

I'm chuckling as I read this -- I think somehow I've defied the odds! I've not grown cukes before, so just planted the cuke seeds when I planted my other squares. The cukes were slower to emerge (I planted two in the square, the first emerged last week and the second just a day or two ago) but have arrived. I now understand that might not be the best plan, especially with our area's weather this spring.

What's interesting to me is that my lettuce square is only showing one small seedling (I planted four in the square) and my romaine hasn't done a thing -- and I thought lettuces were cold weather crops! Ah well, I shall replant. Great to read the "sometimes you just have to replant" comments -- quite reassuring.

May the rain this weekend only be occasional!
MCard

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/20/2011, 3:48 pm

Mcard.....
The lettuce may have been planted too deeply.
Just place it on top of the soil and cover with vermiculite and water.
Keep it moist until it germinates.
It needs sunshine to germinate so doesn't want to be buried.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/20/2011, 3:51 pm

MCard wrote:snip....What's interesting to me is that my lettuce square is only showing one small seedling (I planted four in the square) and my romaine hasn't done a thing -- and I thought lettuces were cold weather crops! Ah well, I shall replant. Great to read the "sometimes you just have to replant" comments -- quite reassuring.

The unofficial state animal likes spring lettuce, at least they sure enjoyed
mine.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down