Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do you have in your beds right now? Toplef10What do you have in your beds right now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do you have in your beds right now? I22gcj10What do you have in your beds right now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What do you have in your beds right now? Toplef10What do you have in your beds right now? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What do you have in your beds right now? I22gcj10What do you have in your beds right now? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What do you have in your beds right now?

+18
milaneyjane
yosoypanadero
Furbalsmom
cabinfever
Smartchick
Old Hippie
CindiLou
boog1
spankyleatherlips
kilda
Tril
herblover
dizzygardener
GlassHen
westie42
sherryeo
sheslostit
Aub
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What do you have in your beds right now? Empty What do you have in your beds right now?

Post  Aub 4/29/2011, 10:34 pm

So what do you have growing right now? Did you start from your own seeds or did you buy plants?

Right now I have:
Bed 1- all sorts of garlic, shallots, potato onions, spinach, lettuce, carrots
Bed 2- peas, red onions, spaghetti squash
Bed 3- cabbage, brussels sprouts, green beans, purple beans, kohlrabi, swiss chard, cilantro
I also have an asparagus bed and a strawberry bed. Oh and some potatoes in a rubbermaid tub.
My only purchased plants are the brussels sprouts, I couldn't get mine to grow.

Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

What do you have in your beds right now? Empty Re: What do you have in your beds right now?

Post  sheslostit 4/29/2011, 10:57 pm

right now i have the following
strawberries - transplants
english peas- from seeds
kale just starting-seeds
four types of tomatoes (cherokee purple, better boy, juliet, and super 100) all transplants
asparagus-planted last year from root crowns
4 peppers red, green, banana, and jalapeno-transplants
hers-all from seeds
okra-transplant
zucinni-transplants
several areas of lettuce (salad bowl and butterhead)-seeds
swiss chard-seeds

most were transplants this year due to time constraints. Next year i want to try to grow more from seeds.
looking forward to fresh veggies from the garden.

things are coming
sheslostit

Back to top Go down

What do you have in your beds right now? Empty What do you have in your beds right now?

Post  sherryeo 4/29/2011, 11:53 pm

I have 2 4X4 beds with:
Better Boy & Marion Tomatoes - transplants
Boston Pickling Cucumbers - transplants
Black Beauty Zucchini - transplants
Big Early Bell Peppers - transplants
Poblano Peppers - transplants
Evening Dew Melons - seed
Cayenne Pepper - seed
Chives - seed - hasn't sprouted yet
Cilantro - transplants
Italian Plain-Leafed Parsley - transplants
Bouquet Dill - seed - hasn't sprouted yet
Neon Lights Chard - seed - hasn't sprouted yet
Contender Bush Beans - seed
Black Beauty Eggplant - transplants
Sparkler Radishes - seed
Pinkeye Purple Hull Peas- seeds
Sweet Treat Carrots - seeds - just sprouting

Wow, that's a lot for 2 beds, hmm?
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

What do you have in your beds right now? Empty what do you have in your bed right now?

Post  westie42 4/30/2011, 1:58 am

Mostly snow and jack frost. But planted and under blankets are spinach, radishes, onions, 3 kinds of choi, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, elephant garlic, cabbage, claytonia, 4 kinds of lettuce, Greek oregano, Rosemary, Italian parsley, Broccoli rabe, escarole, sorrel, red beets, yellow beets, parsnips, cilantro, 3 kinds of carrots, 2 kinds of chard and Brussels sprouts. In one 4 1/2 X 12 ft box. The other big box is still empty of MM due to weather . But I did get a rain water collection system of four 55 gal barrels done friday and hope to add one of 3 barrels on the front of my house today.
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

What do you have in your beds right now? Empty Re: What do you have in your beds right now?

Post  GlassHen 4/30/2011, 7:33 am

Right now in our L-shaped corner box we have broccoli, cauliflower, lisbon onion, sugar snap peas, snow peas & nantes carrots. In my "salad box" against the shed we have nantes carrots, radish, prizeleaf lettuce, royal oak leaf lettuce, salad bowl lettuce, red salad bowl lettuce, ruby lettuce, buttercrunch lettuce, bibb lettuce, bloomsdale spinach, teton spinach, & black seeded simpson lettuce. All of my plants I either started from seeds that I sprouted indoors in vermiculite or direct sowed. Also in our " salad box" we have some green onions that I transplanted from a store bought bunch that started to go bad in the fridge. (the transplanted green onions were more of an experiment but are growing great!!)

Just put up our second trellis yesterday and bought the wood to put together a new 4x8 box.

Indoors I have started our summer veggies from seed to get ready to transplant at the end of May. The south-facing sliding glass door "greenhouse" in our dining room is looking fabulous.
GlassHen
GlassHen

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/30/2011, 8:26 am

Here is what i have in my garden. Everything looks great!

What do you have in your beds right now? Spr20110
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  herblover 4/30/2011, 5:13 pm

Just finished today planting for spring!
I have 4 varieties of lettuce (Buttercrunch, Q's Mesclun Mix, Salad Bowl Mix, and Farmer's Market Blend), arugula, kale, Swiss chard, 2 varieties of radish (Easter Egg Blend and French Breakfast), spinach, kohlrabi, garlic, and yellow onions.
herblover
herblover

Female Posts : 577

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 4/30/2011, 5:27 pm

New SFGer here... when you plant mesclun mix, how do you do it? I mean... a pinch of seed in 16 holes, or what?
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  kilda 4/30/2011, 5:30 pm

Bed 1: White Wonder cucumbers, Tendergreen Burpless cucumbers, Romano pole beans, Santa Anna pole beans, Swiss chard, potatoes.
Bed 2: Various kinds of lettuce: Butterhead, Little Caesar (Romaine), Black Seeded Simpson, Mesclun. Radicchio. Tomatoes: Black Krim, Better Boy, Big Beef, Sweet 100. Bush beans (French Filet).
Bed 3: sugar snap peas, radishes, beets, carrots, decorative gourds.
Bed 4: corn
Bed 5: Peppers: Bananarama, Flavorburst, Giant Marconi
Herb box: basil, thyme

For mesclun, I just scatter it thinly over a square and then thin it out as I use it.
kilda

Back to top Go down

Post  Tril 4/30/2011, 5:34 pm

Thanks, Kilda... that was my inclination. Just wanted to know what experienced SFG people do.
Tril
Tril

Female Posts : 198

Back to top Go down

Post  spankyleatherlips 4/30/2011, 5:46 pm

4 squares of Ozark strawberries
1 sq. Basil x 4
1 sq. Parsley x3
1 sq. mixed lettuce
1 sq. spinach
3 sq of 4 kale
1 sq of 4 swiss chard
2 sq. snap peas
2 empty for my tomatoes The peas and maters will go up the trellis on my TT table.

on the other table which is butted up against the first with a trellis seperating them
4 empty for my tomatoes
1 sq. onions
1 sq. carrots
1 sq. onions
1 sq. carrots (baby Nantes)
1 sq. bush cumcumber
1 sq. empty
1 sq. bush cumcumber
1 sq. empty
1 sq. empty
1 zuchinni
1 sq empty
1 suchinni.
My TT's are 4x4 each.
What do you have in your beds right now? Table_11

Last edited by spankyleatherlips on 4/30/2011, 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pic added)
spankyleatherlips
spankyleatherlips

Female Posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  boog1 4/30/2011, 7:45 pm

i finaly got the boxs set up and filled posted new pics in my album What do you have in your beds right now? 53366 What do you have in your beds right now? 53366 i went ahead and started from seed : radish,beets,carrots 2 squares,lettuce 2 squares,arugula,swiss chard, kale,spinash the rest will get tranplanted in another week after i get the rest hardened off.

boog
boog1
boog1

Male Posts : 260

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 5/1/2011, 1:03 am

westie42 wrote:Mostly snow and jack frost. But planted and under blankets are spinach, radishes, onions, 3 kinds of choi, broccoli, cauliflower, garlic, elephant garlic, cabbage, claytonia, 4 kinds of lettuce, Greek oregano, Rosemary, Italian parsley, Broccoli rabe, escarole, sorrel, red beets, yellow beets, parsnips, cilantro, 3 kinds of carrots, 2 kinds of chard and Brussels sprouts. In one 4 1/2 X 12 ft box. The other big box is still empty of MM due to weather . But I did get a rain water collection system of four 55 gal barrels done friday and hope to add one of 3 barrels on the front of my house today.

That is sooo weird. You are only about 150 miles northeast fo me as the crow flies and we have had nice balmy days! I heard their was snow up north but was thinking further north....
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/1/2011, 9:12 am

Right now..........in my bed.......I have a snoring sick husband.

Gwynn

Well, you DID ask!
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Smartchick 5/2/2011, 5:02 pm

Well, in the inside bed, probably a sleeping cat. Very Happy

In the outside beds, I have:

Shelling peas, beets (golden, chiogga, cylindra), carrots (short n sweet & nantes), lettuce (little Caesar, Black seeded simpson, salad bowl, & mache), spinach (baby's leaf and satin), onions (Texas white sweet - also in the grill), collard greens, broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower. I also have potatoes (Kenenbec, Yukon Gold and Norland Red) in Sterlite tubs, strawberries in a round raised bed, and three brand new dwarf fruit trees (Golden Delicious Apple, Winecrisp Apple, Starkrimson Sweet Cherry) in a raised bed in the corner of our backyard as well as a green grapevine and two blueberry plants. Woo hoo!

Yet to go in:

5 kinds of tomatoes (Orange Van Goebelsomething, Isis candy, Sausage, Amish Paste and Red Fox Cherry), Zucchini (a "long" one and a "round" one I found - can't remember names), Pole beans, two more squares of beets (red Detriot), Corn, Bright Lights Chard, sweet potatoes and that's all I can think of.
Smartchick
Smartchick

Back to top Go down

Post  cabinfever 5/2/2011, 5:39 pm

Air. Sad
cabinfever
cabinfever

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 5/2/2011, 7:09 pm

cabinfever wrote:Air. Sad
What do you have in your beds right now? 993580 It won't be long before you get it planted.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  yosoypanadero 5/2/2011, 7:54 pm

Just about everything except peppers, tomatoes, and eggplant - its going to be 39 and 41 overnight the next two nights - then it is full steam ahead!
yosoypanadero
yosoypanadero

Male Posts : 105

Back to top Go down

Post  milaneyjane 5/2/2011, 10:00 pm

Mels Mix Sad Hoping to get out of the thirties this week.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Post  sherryeo 5/2/2011, 10:07 pm

AAAWWWWWW, cabinfever and milaneyjane, It'll be ok. You'll soon get your gardens planted and will probably show all of the rest of us up with your gorgeous veggies! You'll probably soon be shaking your heads at my posts about how the heat, humidity and Mississippi bugs are ruining my garden while yours are doing great! Keep you spirits up!!! What do you have in your beds right now? 311672
sherryeo
sherryeo

Female Posts : 850

Back to top Go down

Post  Hyzleyes 5/2/2011, 10:52 pm

Box 1: Strawberries - two plants, the rest were bare roots (half Junebearing and half Everbearing) that are starting to green up.

Box 2: 5 squares of lettuce, 2 squares of sweet potatoes, marigolds, beets, a sweet banana pepper, a few squares open for more peppers and some cilantro

Box 3: 4 squares of carrots, marigolds, 2 squares of sweet potatoes, 2 squares of beets, 2 squares of lettuce, 2 squares of green onions, chives & thyme

Box 4: 2 Early Girl tomatoes, 2 Better Boy tomatoes, a supersweet 100 cherry tomato, a sweet banana pepper, 4 brussel sprouts, marigolds & a square of lettuce. Hoping to fit a zucchinin in this square too. Might have to sacrifice something else...

Really hoping I didn't jump the gun and plant the tomatoes & peppers too early. Tonight is supposed to be the coolest night in the 10 day fcst at 39F. pale
Hyzleyes

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/3/2011, 2:40 am

I'm with you Cabinfever. It is hard enough to wait most years but being on here and seeing everyone post pics of what their gardens are doing already......is pure torture. I know we are not supposed to wish bad things would happen to people but enough already! What do you have in your beds right now? 277611 I am trying to take comfort in the fact that we didn't get snow like they did the other day in Manitoba.

sigh! soon, my dear! Soon!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  shannon1 5/3/2011, 2:53 am

Well now that my TT is finshed I have 2 poblano peppers and 2 Sun King toms in the back row(north)
2 red bell peppers, 1 dill, 1 coriander in the next row, 1 sweet banana pepper, and rosemary in the next row. Awaiting delivery of soil inoculent for the edemema that will be a staggered planting for most of the remaining squares. Got a late start Embarassed .
shannon1
shannon1

Back to top Go down

Post  Unmutual 5/3/2011, 3:04 am

Box 1(8SF-TT): Tomatoes, Peppers, Cucumber, Green Onions

Box 2(8SF-TT): Pretty much the same thing except with some marigolds in with the peppers and tomatoes, and Corn in one square(4 of them).

Box 3(8SF-TT): As boxes 1 & 2, but with 2 potatoes I tried planting whole potatoes in 2 squares with 6" of mel's mix(FOR SCIENCE!). The potatoes are yellowing and have brown spots, but the leaves aren't shriveling up..maybe a deficiency, so tried fish emulsion over the weekend(my is that stuff smelly before it's diluted).

Box 4(16SF): Corn, Beans...oh yeah, tomatoes and peppers! Trying to see if 2 corns and 2 beans in 1 square will work like that old native american thing(3 sisters was it?)

Box 5:(16SF): Tomatoes, no peppers yet =p(still have 8 empty squares but was thinking about leaving those for late season tomatoes)

Box6(4SQ-TT): Chamomile, Stevia, Parsley and Rosemary.

Box 7(8SF-Deep): Potatoes(going like the other potatoes, but a lot healthier looking, and in 12" of mix), onions, garlic and a few straggling carrots(the onions and garlic are doing a great job of providing shade for the carrots).

Potted(non-Mel's Mix Stuff): Chamomile, Stevia, Basil, Cilantro, Dwarf Citrus(2 years old, one of them is staying mega dwarf..I hope it grows because I think it's the lemon), Banana Plant(2 years old), some "I have no idea what that is".....okay, fine, a lot of "I have no idea what that is".

In the ground: seedless grapes x2, blueberry bushes x2

Tomato varieties: Roma, Creole, Better Boy, Cherry and..I swear there's a 5th..OH! Brandywine!

Peppers: Jalapeno, pepperoncini(I probably did not spell that right), habenero(I have no idea what to use the habeneros for, culinarily speaking, but I guess that gives me something to do when I get some).

The rest are nothing fancy, except the beans are for some red beans and rice that my daughter promised to make in return for me planting some sunflowers along the fence.

I'll have to take some pics when it starts to look like something is actually growing in it. But I have a feeling that will take a while since I did some succession planting.

Oh and don't feel bad about having nothing growing yet...I live in the deep south with many, many days of growing weather, and my garden still pales in comparison to some of these /jealous. We could always start a vicious rumor that they're all using miracle grow Twisted Evil
Unmutual

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 396

Back to top Go down

Post  Barkie 5/3/2011, 4:27 am

The night air temperature is till going down to 35F and I haven't got the ground levelled for any beds yet Mad but

in containers
carrots
garlic
onions
bunching onions
various salad leaves
arugula
mizuna
"new" potatoes
and a gooseberry bush

potatoes in the ground

and in containers ready for transplanting.
Oregon sugar pod peas
early purple sprouting broccoli
Brussels sprouts
cauliflowers.

Apart from the potatoes, onions and garlic all grown from seed.
Barkie

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next