Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Northern Virginia Toplef10Hello from Northern Virginia 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Northern Virginia I22gcj10Hello from Northern Virginia 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Northern Virginia Toplef10Hello from Northern Virginia 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Northern Virginia I22gcj10Hello from Northern Virginia 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Northern Virginia

+3
Furbalsmom
greenmama
mellowcalico
7 posters

Go down

Hello from Northern Virginia Empty Hello from Northern Virginia

Post  mellowcalico 4/6/2011, 3:37 pm

Hi! I live in Northern Virginia (near Washington DC) and am hoping to start a square-foot garden this year. I am under contract for a townhouse that I won't own until June however, so I hope it won't be too late to get started. I am still reading the book, but it sounds like I can plant for seasons, so maybe I will be in time to start a fall crop of some sort.

I plan on starting with a 4x4 square and seeing how it goes. I have some gardening experience from when I was a kid and a teenager. My parents had a 1/2 acre garden that we ate out of all year it seemed. We grew just about everything (corn, potatoes, tomatoes, greenbeans, wax beans, beats, onions, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, melons, squash... we even had three different kinds of apple trees, a plum tree and a peach tree.) We canned a lot of stuff too. But where I live now, I have a postage stamp backyard--so there isn't a lot of space. Plus, I really don't have the time for a big garden. My biggest worry is the backyard faces north--so I am worried about good sunlight (the HoA doesn't allow for gardens in the front yard).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I will continue reading the book over the summer and dreaming. I really hope I can get things to work out with my north facing yard. I was there today at noon and there was just one strip of sunlight along the back fence--that's it. And I would have to tear out a Japanese maple to plant a garden where that light was.

Last edited by mellowcalico on 4/6/2011, 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed a typo)
mellowcalico

Back to top Go down

Hello from Northern Virginia Empty Re: Hello from Northern Virginia

Post  greenmama 4/6/2011, 3:42 pm

Welcome from the Woodbridge area! This is my first year setting up a garden, so we'll be learning along together!
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 4/6/2011, 7:56 pm

Hello from Northern Virginia 654548 MellowCalico

How nice to have you here. Congratulations on your new home. What a great thing to anticipate, and starting out small is a great way to go.

We have at least one member who gardened in a North facing yard and did well. Once you get moved in, you will better be able to determine exactly how much sun you will have in the back yard during the day.

Keep reading, keep dreaming and enjoy!
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/7/2011, 7:04 am

Hello from Northern Virginia 396615 flower Hello from Northern Virginia 396615 flower Hello from Northern Virginia 396615 flower

Welcome from South Dakota!
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  mellowcalico 4/7/2011, 9:23 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I will probably lurk for the most part since it's hard to ask questions and comment on things when I don't actually have the house yet. But I am eager to learn! Greenmama, yeah! Another NoVa person Smile! You will have to let me know if you find a good gardening store. I am thinking about Merrifield since I know them, but that's kind of out of my way.
mellowcalico

Back to top Go down

Post  WardinWake 4/7/2011, 9:26 am

mellowcalico wrote:Hi! I live in Northern Virginia (near Washington DC) and am hoping to start a square-foot garden this year. I am under contract for a townhouse that I won't own until June however, so I hope it won't be too late to get started. I am still reading the book, but it sounds like I can plant for seasons, so maybe I will be in time to start a fall crop of some sort.

I plan on starting with a 4x4 square and seeing how it goes. I have some gardening experience from when I was a kid and a teenager. My parents had a 1/2 acre garden that we ate out of all year it seemed. We grew just about everything (corn, potatoes, tomatoes, greenbeans, wax beans, beats, onions, carrots, strawberries, blueberries, melons, squash... we even had three different kinds of apple trees, a plum tree and a peach tree.) We canned a lot of stuff too. But where I live now, I have a postage stamp backyard--so there isn't a lot of space. Plus, I really don't have the time for a big garden. My biggest worry is the backyard faces north--so I am worried about good sunlight (the HoA doesn't allow for gardens in the front yard).

Anyway, just wanted to say hello. I will continue reading the book over the summer and dreaming. I really hope I can get things to work out with my north facing yard. I was there today at noon and there was just one strip of sunlight along the back fence--that's it. And I would have to tear out a Japanese maple to plant a garden where that light was.

Howdy and Welcome:

Most veggies and flowers will do well with 6 to 8 hours of sun. North facing should be fine. Also if you have a front yard flower garden you can slip in a veggie or two and the "old hussies" on the HOA will never know. Better yet become a member of the HOA or even president and change the rules.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
Wake, Middlesex County, VA
WardinWake
WardinWake

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 935

Back to top Go down

Post  greenmama 4/7/2011, 9:35 am

Yes, I went to Merrifield Garden near me, and that was the only place I found the coarse Vermicullite.

As for compost, I drove myself crazy driving around for 5 types, but I finally found them all!
-Wegmans and Whole Foods have lobster compost.
-Found the most compost varieties at those little parking lot garden vendors in front of stores. No other place around me at least had true compost.
greenmama
greenmama

Female Posts : 52

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 4/7/2011, 10:54 am

WardinWake wrote:
Howdy and Welcome:

Most veggies and flowers will do well with 6 to 8 hours of sun. North facing should be fine. Also if you have a front yard flower garden you can slip in a veggie or two and the "old hussies" on the HOA will never know. Better yet become a member of the HOA or even president and change the rules.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
Wake, Middlesex County, VA

The dreaded HOA. Yes well, do like Ward suggested and slip a few veggies in amongst your flower beds. Lettuce plants tucked in among the flowers looks great. Oregano has wonderful purple flowers that the bees love. A pretty collection of basil looks great too. Parsley makes a nice edging plant. Northern lights swiss chard has wonderful leaves that are very striking. Radishes grow fast and can be tucked in here and there, harvested and eaten before the HOA knows what is going on. There are all manner of ways to get around them. But the best is to become a member. It is easier to affect change from within. Twisted Evil

Hello from Northern Virginia 396615

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  dizzygardener 4/7/2011, 3:46 pm

Hello from Northern Virginia 396615 Hello from Northern Virginia 396615 Hello from Northern Virginia 396615

So glad to have ya!

I think you'll be fine with a north facing garden. I also think you will be fine starting in June. Just seek out fast maturing summer crops and start your fall crops. You'll still get a good sized harvest.

Don't forget that you can ask questions about what to grow and how much. You don't have to have a box in order to participate. Also, check out the regional forums. I think you are probably in the upper south region, but feel free to stop on by the other regional forums as well. I'm in the middle south region. It stretched into VA some, so a lot of the information there may be relevant as well.

Take care, good luck with your home purchase, and happy gardening!
dizzygardener
dizzygardener

Female Posts : 668

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down