Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan Toplef10Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan I22gcj10Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan Toplef10Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan I22gcj10Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan

4 posters

Go down

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan Empty Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 11:03 am

Good morning!

We live in the city/suburbs of Redding, Ca. Hot hot hot in the summer and a nice full growing season.

Here are some (bad, lol) pictures of our garden beds and a photo of the plan
Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 5576435087_ef76514856selenascamera 012 by danjefsel, on Flickr
Our square foot garden beds. Empty, so far... surrounded by bark from
Chris's work (he works for a tree service company). The bark will settle a bit so the beds will still be raised. This is the left
side of the yard/garden.

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 5576435085_a30b69e8b8selenascamera 008 by danjefsel, on Flickr
This is a view from the right

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan 5576435081_0b6d647739selenascamera 014 by danjefsel, on Flickr
Here is Chris's plan. We are also planting carrots and radishes in between some of the things.

Chris likes "wierd" varieties. Plus we have lots of kids. So we are doing some fun varieties of veggies within the scope of "tomato" and "pumpkin", etc.
So far we have ready to go in, when the soil is ready, that is, lol:
Jarrahdale Pumpkins
Carnival Blend Carrots
Armenian "Snake" Cucumbers
Sweet Richness Melons (THANK YOU SFG in Chicago)
Nasturtiums, of course...
and piles of other stuff that I need more caffeine to write about. But you can see the general idea above... now just the narrowing down of variety Very Happy

Smile
Selena
selenamorning

Female Posts : 30

Back to top Go down

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan Empty Re: Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan

Post  FarmerValerie 3/31/2011, 11:08 am

Sounds like a plan to me.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan Empty Re: Hope this is the right place.... part of our back yard garden plan

Post  lizzo 3/31/2011, 11:39 am

Hi,

If I read your graph right, you have your corn in an L shape row. Ideally, corn is grown in blocks, ie a square or rectangle, for the best chance of pollination.

Corn is pollinated by pollen falling from the tassles to the silks. When corn is planted in a row, a breeze can easily carry the pollen away.

But, you do have a small amount of corn, so you could pollinate by hand.
lizzo

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/31/2011, 11:42 am

I like your plan. In your area of the country your warm season plants should do well.

I'll bet the kids will love the strange crops that they'll be harvesting.

Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 11:46 am

the corn is my honey's way of placating me... I have been teasing him for months that the backyard is HIS garden... because when we started planning, he already had ALL of the boxes full of the things he wanted... I asked him, "So, you are building boxes up in the front yard for me and the kids then, right?" He was confused... he was planting what I wanted LOL... you know... corn... a squash plant.. some nasturtiums... Sigh, I love him, I do. I doubt the corn will actually get in there.

Thanks for the advice Very Happy I may adjust it to have just one square full of corn if we do end up getting the corn in there Smile I am trying to talk him into moving the winter squash beds up into the summer squash beds because we don't need THAT much summer squash... it IS rather prolific Wink and putting my herbs in there. The back right corner, where there are no beds on the plan, is a trailing rosemary bush... thought it would be nice to have all the herbs together. So I can send the kids out there when I am elbow deep in dinner and need something Wink
selenamorning

Back to top Go down

Post  selenamorning 3/31/2011, 11:49 am

quiltbea wrote:I like your plan. In your area of the country your warm season plants should do well.

I'll bet the kids will love the strange crops that they'll be harvesting.

Good luck.

thank you! I do hope everything does well. Seems like everything grows well here... even with the heat, as long as you watch and make sure to water properly. Squash of all varieties, melons, tomatoes, etc... they all do FABULOUSLY here.

We are also going to do some black/chocolate and some of the zebra striped varieties of tomato, about 4 more boxes of various summer squashes and a bunch of colorful whatevers I can find Wink
selenamorning

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 3/31/2011, 12:45 pm

I have to tell you from personal experience, the Green Zebra and Purple Cherokee toms are really great tasting, esp the Zebra.

Go fo it.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4707

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down