Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BAD DOG! Toplef10BAD DOG! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BAD DOG! I22gcj10BAD DOG! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
BAD DOG! Toplef10BAD DOG! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

BAD DOG! I22gcj10BAD DOG! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Today at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

BAD DOG!

+18
Glendale-gardener
Furbalsmom
Lindacol
Jay Bird
Lavender Debs
The Cynergist
CindiLou
bullfrogbabe
FarmerValerie
Goosegirl
AndreaHall
middlemamma
BackyardBirdGardner
florenceq
ModernDayBetty
LaFee
Aub
sfg4uKim
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

BAD DOG! Empty BAD DOG!

Post  sfg4uKim 3/21/2011, 3:12 pm

I was working in the yard and looked in the greenhouse to find my Beagle, Sophie, standing in my planting box with my lettuce in it.

BAD DOG!

Kim

P.S. I did NOT kill her, nor did I beat her.

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com
FB: Square Foot Gardening 4 U

BAD DOG! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2054

http://sfg4u.com

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! Empty Re: BAD DOG!

Post  Aub 3/21/2011, 4:04 pm

My Coonhound has been know to dig in the strawberries! Of course it only when she's after a critter, so I kind of let her get away with it. But if she puts one big honkin' foot in any of my other beds she gets the sharp full name shout.
"MATILDA FRANCINE GET YOUR FEET OUT OF MY GARDEN!!!"
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 3/21/2011, 4:10 pm

We have a 110-lb black Lab (he's not fat -- he's just *massive*) with whom I have reached a very amicable agreement.

I give him carrots and the stems from broccoli and cauliflower, and once in a while some peas or green beans mixed in with his chow...and he keeps his big hairy butt out of my garden.

So far we're both quite happy with the deal, and the vet gives her stamp of approval. (she also approves an occasional plain yogurt and a raw egg now and again). She said that big dogs not only like vegetables, but the veggies keep them full without packing on additional pounds, which neutered Labs are highly apt to do.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  ModernDayBetty 3/21/2011, 4:20 pm

I have two goldens... one is absolutely perfect living up to the stereo type while the other is still in the extended puppy period... Last year, my first attempt at gardening (row stylish) my older boy layed down outside the garden while I was in it, while my puppy would jump the fence... after she saw me digging in it she decided that's where the action happend and dug up my broccoli, hot peppers and two raspberry branches... She's still a handful (youngest sibling syndrome?) but I'm hoping with the raised beds I'll be able to teach her not to go in them prior to filling them up (plus I won't go in, less temptation?).... dogs are an adventure.

Hope your lettuce was okay. :o)

And on the feeding your dogs veggies.... wish I could grow banana's.... my little girl puppy loves banana's. It's the weirdest thing I've seen a dog beg for (and it's the only thing she begs for :scratch: )....
ModernDayBetty
ModernDayBetty

Female Posts : 298

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! Empty Bad dogs

Post  florenceq 3/21/2011, 4:27 pm

I have three little ones and none of them understand the difference between my raised bed and the ground they are allowed to romp on. One of them is really good at critter control but the other two are worthless. I always tell them they are lucky they are cute because if they had to earn a living they might go hungry! I finally had to put up a fence to keep them out.

On a separate note my rat terrier loves carrot but his absolute favorite is cantaloupe. He won't leave me side when I am cutting into cubes.
florenceq
florenceq

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/21/2011, 5:13 pm

ksroman wrote:I was working in the yard and looked in the greenhouse to find my Beagle, Sophie, standing in my planting box with my lettuce in it.

BAD DOG!

Kim

I told my boxer what my gramma used to tell my beagle......."I'm gonna cut your tail off.....right behind your ears!"
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 3/21/2011, 5:44 pm

I am not huge on animals...I am normal to the degree that I love puppies and kittens etc, they are adorable. We have a 14 year old cat that just minds her own business..she is lazy and docile and my kids love her to death. When she is gone there won't be another...I hate cleaning a cat box.

We have a 5 year old border collie mix that is a god send for me because the whole family wanted a dog and I did not. I spent 4 months looking for the "right" one because I know myself, if she didn't behave and drove me nuts...kids and hubby in tears be darned...I would get rid of it. I just cannot handle an animal that doesn't behave....

The point is...my little border collie is just a wonderful animal...she seems to know I just need her to be good....I walk her all around my garden and tell her...no....no....no....no.....no and she looks at me with these deep dark eyes like OKAY MOM I GET IT. And she doesn't go in there....

The neighborhood dogs are another story....and I am about sick of them. I seriously don't want to hurt an animal...but I am tempted with a bb gun or something...I bought spray last year that helped keep them out...but it was awful smelling and made my trips in the garden unbearable for me! My father in law said black pepper around the perimeter of my garden would help cause they get it up their nose and take off...so I may try that this year. Last year they had 2 dogs that they have on electric collars...but they don’t stay on top of the batteries and as soon as they die they are over putting bug huge holes/paw prints in my garden. This year... Rolling Eyes though, due to the roaming the neighborhood tendency of these dogs, we now have 8...the two plus 6 little puppies....albeit cute...still a garden menace. BAD DOG! 828840
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  AndreaHall 3/21/2011, 6:47 pm

I was having a problem with my cats in the garden, and tried a bunch of different things before buying a motion-activated sprinkler (at the suggestion of some of you forum peeps!). It's been soooo awesome. And fun! Although a day hasn't gone by that I don't forget to turn it off when I wander out to the garden, and I end up getting hosed. Thankfully, the cats learned much faster than me and since installing, I haven't noticed a single shred of evidence of cat in the garden.

The dog is absolutely terrified of it too, but I've had dogs that think sprinklers are great fun toys as well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000071NUS

middlemamma wrote:The neighborhood dogs are another story....and I am about sick of them. I seriously don't want to hurt an animal...but I am tempted with a bb gun or something...I bought spray last year that helped keep them out...but it was awful smelling and made my trips in the garden unbearable for me! My father in law said black pepper around the perimeter of my garden would help cause they get it up their nose and take off...so I may try that this year. Last year they had 2 dogs that they have on electric collars...but they don’t stay on top of the batteries and as soon as they die they are over putting bug huge holes/paw prints in my garden. This year... Rolling Eyes though, due to the roaming the neighborhood tendency of these dogs, we now have 8...the two plus 6 little puppies....albeit cute...still a garden menace. BAD DOG! 828840
AndreaHall
AndreaHall

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  BackyardBirdGardner 3/21/2011, 7:12 pm

Jennie,

I had a neighbor a long time ago that would sit on his back deck overlooking the golf course and wait for the strays to stroll by. The second they squatted in his yard, he shot them in the bum with a salt pellet. He said they would yelp like crazy and run all the way home. After about the third pellet in the derierre, that particular dog would just pass him by with it's nose snobbishly up in the air.

I don't know where you would find those anymore, but boy howdy would that be fun. I have a fenced yard, so I don't get stray dogs....only tree rats. And, for them, I am building a catapult this summer to launch them off my deck....it sits about 10 feet high.

I will have a 6pack of beer and a couple cobs of corn. When one gets in the seat, I will launch him right off the deck and out into the yard. Another thing I've seen done that doesn't hurt the animals.

Hurting animals is cruel, but having some fun with them when they bother us just makes us top of the food chain imo.
BackyardBirdGardner
BackyardBirdGardner

Male Posts : 2727

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/21/2011, 7:45 pm

So far I have had no critter problems in my garden even though there are no fences between the properties around here - except for one barn bunny that lives under my storage shed. But problem solved when I started sprinkling the used cat litter (just the urine-soaked corn litter, no 'lumps') around my garden perimeter.

However, even tho' my cats are indoor cats, one IS a garden kitty - see avatar for picture of Prince Panther, the Gardener. Both of my cats will play fetch, but only with their favorite toys - each has one favorite. The garden kitty's favorite is...SEED PACKETS! Broccoli or radish seeds are the favorites because they rattle so well, but tonight while I was sitting next to my seed box he came up and nosed right in, batted a few with his paw, then daintily selected one packet (out of at least 30 possible) with his teeth and hopped off the box and trotted away with.....the CATNIP SEEDS!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/21/2011, 8:44 pm

My dad used to make his own salt buckshot, you pack it yourself, but he put pepper in his to make the sting last longer, only took one shot, oh and you use rock salt.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Female Posts : 1611

http://www.rocksinmygarden.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/21/2011, 9:32 pm

I have my own bad dog but he is young (we just got him last summer) and I am still working on him. Bronx likes to pee on my SFGs and he usually pees right through the front of the deer fence onto whatever is in the front row of the boxes.

Last year it was the romaine lettuce and the green onions. Luckily we are always out when the dog is, so we taught him to pee somewhere else on command. The veggies in the front row were well watered, as I sprayed them off with the garden hose everytime the dog went on them. We didn't use the out-side leaves on the romaine and were well washed when we did use them.

I am sure we will have to remind him this year once the snow melts.

My other option is to re-install the deer mesh out from the boxes a bit to leave a gap to any pee just lands in the buffer strip!
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 3/21/2011, 9:40 pm

bullfrogbabe wrote:I have my own bad dog but he is young (we just got him last summer) and I am still working on him. Bronx likes to pee on my SFGs and he usually pees right through the front of the deer fence onto whatever is in the front row of the boxes.

lol! Sounds like you need a compost pile that you can train him to pee on - save the Romaine AND get a compost accelerator!

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  CindiLou 3/21/2011, 11:34 pm

Here it is illegal to shoot an animal even with a slingshot and crab apples (that is if you get caught!) There is a strict leash law on dogs. The police will come pick them up right away if you call.
CindiLou
CindiLou

Location : South Central Iowa, Zone 5a (20mi dia area in 5b zone)rofl...

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! Empty Me Too; Bad Dog

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 12:54 am

ksroman wrote:I was working in the yard and looked in the greenhouse to find my Beagle, Sophie, standing in my planting box with my lettuce in it.

BAD DOG!

Kim

Hi Kim

Another Kim here (Though I prefer Kimberley)

Last year I was steady chasing my dog Kiti out of the garden. She's half beagle, half shitzu. Do you suppose it's the beagle in 'em? I didn't kill or beat her either, but there were times when I could have cheerfully strangled her. You should have seen the show we put on for the neighbours; me chasing her around the yard trying to get my hands on her.

BAD DOG! 889526
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! Empty Bad Dog/Good Kitty!

Post  Goosegirl 3/22/2011, 6:29 am

I sometimes wish our little baldy cats could come out into the garden with me - Panther the Gardener is a good digger (under supervision, of course!), he already carries the seed packets around, and I think I could train him to drop the seeds in the little holes he digs! He is also a good bug catcher, so if I could confine him to a specific area in the garden, it would be insect-free! Maybe I am destined to have a kitty-guarded greenhouse.....

TC
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/22/2011, 8:18 am

Yes, Beagles love to dig.

Cats can be trained to do amazing things, like use AND flush the potty.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 3/22/2011, 9:29 am

florenceq wrote:Snip......On a separate note my rat terrier loves carrot but his absolute favorite is cantaloupe. He won't leave me side when I am cutting into cubes.

My Rat Terrier is the same way! They (they being Rudy the RT and Bomber the JRT) will do begging tricks for sugar snap peas (every time I go to the pea patch in summer, I'll turn around and they will both be sitting pretty, begging for a pod) Rudy prefers watermelon to cantaloupe. The JRT is not fond of carrots and will carefully pick them out of any soup I mix into his kibble....The RT gets excited, thinking he just scored when he finds that pile of carrots on the floor.

So far the only Bad Dog problem I have is finding the bones the JRT likes to hide in my SFG. For some reason he thinks they belong under the cilantro. In that case I go growl at the man who gave him a bone but did not go pick it up after an hour or so.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/22/2011, 12:32 pm

LOL These stories are great!

I have seen women looking at jewelry ads with a misty eye and one hand resting on the heart, and I only know what they're feeling because that's how I read the seed catalogs in January - Barbara Kingsolver - Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

sfg4u.com

BAD DOG! WxBanner?bannertype=wu_blueglass&airportcode=KBWI&ForcedCity=Glen%20Burnie&ForcedState=MD&zipcode=21060&language=EN
sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! Empty Rocks in Your Garden

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 12:46 pm

Hi Farmer Valerie,

I enjoyed The Killer At Large post on your blog. I would like to share that video if it's okay with you.

This twinkie addict, however, will require an affidavit, and notes from both your priest and your mother that cream filled cakes are indeed bad for you. . . lol!

Last edited by The Cynergist on 3/22/2011, 12:47 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : grammar)
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

Post  FarmerValerie 3/22/2011, 1:04 pm

Hey, no problem, I have no rights to the movie, and if you want to just refer to my blog post to send people to for more "opinions" (I have one on everything it seems) go for it. I watch that one from time to time, it just kills me to see unhealthy kids.

I told my grandson that chocolate milk had as much sugar as cola, he's 5, he went to school and told his teacher, she told him his grandmother was WRONG. I wanted to buy all of Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution DVD's from his TV show and send them to her. But I got her back, we read a book about dinasaurs in the Bible, and I told him to tell her that the Bible has dinasaurs in it....... BAD GRANDMA-TEEHEEHE.
FarmerValerie
FarmerValerie

Back to top Go down

Post  sfg4uKim 3/22/2011, 1:06 pm

I guess Sophie could also be a "good dog" since a few years back I was feeding her cherry tomatoes. When she had her fill, she ran off with the last tomato.

Apparently she buried it cuz the next year up popped FIVE healthy plants.

sfg4u.com

sfg4uKim
sfg4uKim

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

BAD DOG! Empty Bad Farmer Valerie . . . Bad Girl!

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 1:13 pm

FarmerValerie wrote:
I told my grandson that chocolate milk had as much sugar as cola, he's 5, he went to school and told his teacher, she told him his grandmother was WRONG.

It sickens me to think about all that we've been taught to think was healthy, when indeed it was not. How about the fact that we humans are the only animal that NEVER gets weaned off of milk, and that we're the only animals taught to drink the milk of other animals? I remember being given chocolate milk because I hate milk and my Grandma, God Bless her, was told that chocolate milk would be a good way to get me to drink it. I still hate milk to this day, and thank goodness because I have since learned about all the dangers of milk; chocolate or otherwise.
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

Post  Jay Bird 3/22/2011, 1:14 pm

Bad Dog stories!
Latigo- the blue healer woh like top herd the Guineas also likes to bury his rawhide bones in the Mels mix! Maybe he is planting it to see if it will grow a rawhide bone plant.

Yesterday
Wife calls me at work , one or two of the big dogs (Honey or Cobey) has killed sylvester the cat, We have seperated them and Honey now sleeps at grandmas house and Cobey is in the back yard behind the electric fence. My thought is its the pair of them after the chase rather than just a killer dog. One of them may end up going to a new home without cats.
Honey is a ridge back hound and Cobey is a Yellow Lab Chow cross, both are heavy breeds with hunting instincts both are guilty of chasing cats and squirrels and anything else that prowls the night which keeps my garden and chicken coop critter free, but cant have them killing the wifes cats. I really believe it was like sharks in a feeding frenzy
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 1:16 pm

ksroman wrote:I guess Sophie could also be a "good dog" since a few years back I was feeding her cherry tomatoes. When she had her fill, she ran off with the last tomato.

Apparently she buried it cuz the next year up popped FIVE healthy plants.

Kudos farmer Sophie
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum: