Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Toplef10Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners I22gcj10Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Toplef10Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners I22gcj10Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners

+2
Blackrose
bullfrogbabe
6 posters

Go down

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Empty Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/6/2011, 9:43 pm

For you Canadian gardeners looking for a deal on gardening supplies -- Check out your local Dollarama store!

They have packs of seed 3 for $1 -- many basic varieties of veggies: broccoli, nantes carrots, radishes, tomatoes, melons, herbs, etc and some flowers.

Also watch for 3 ft and 6 ft spiral supports -- I found them for $2 each last year. They worked great for some of the smaller squash vines (summer squash / acorn squash -- 3 ft ones).

Bags of soil for starting seed 5L $2 -- mix similar to Mel's mix.

Jiffy Pots 2" -- pack of 26 for $1. Also seed starting trays and mini greenhouse trays various sizes.

Rectangular plastic serving trays (in kitchen isle) that work great under jiffy pots and other seed starting trays to contain the water / make many pots portable.

Lots of large plastic patio pots and rectangular planter boxes $2 each -- great size for bush tomatoes, peppers, or herbs. The round patio pots even have room for cage supports in them if needed.

Gardening gloves, small hand tools, plant labels, trellis twist ties, short soaker hoses, spray nozzels, mini trellis', hoop plant supports, spray bottles, etc.

Plastic domes to protect plants from frost once in the garden -- I bought a bunch a couple years ago and they have been extremely useful in early spring when there are unexpected frosts / cool nights. They have lips that can be tucked under dividers so they don't blow away; they are almost 10" tall and about approx 9 x 9" square so they worked well over small tomato, pepper, or lettuce plants. They saved many plants for me and are reuseable.

All $2 or less, great value on some of the same brands / items we are paying >$5 for at other stores.

Happy Gardening!
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Empty Re: Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners

Post  Blackrose 3/6/2011, 10:17 pm

Wow bullfrogbabe!! I didn't realize Dollarama had that much gardening stuff. Guess where I'm heading tomorrow! Twisted Evil

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 109486
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Empty Re: Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners

Post  Blackrose 3/9/2011, 2:29 pm

Ok... so I didn't get to Dollarama on Monday, but I dragged my DH and the kids there this morning. My local Dollarama doesn't have all the stuff you listed bullfrogbabe, but it's still early in the season. I'm hoping they'll have more in a few weeks.

I was able to get some small ring plant supports that came in packs of 5 for $1.50. They are the perfect size for my leggy basil plants. They are holding them up nicely for me until I can get them pruned a bit and hopefully encourage more bushy growth.

I also found the plastic cloches and grabbed six at a dollar each. DH wanted me to wait to get them, but I'm afraid I'll go back later and they won't have them anymore. I'm going to try and go back to get more if they still have them. They look like they will fit one square perfectly!

Yeah!!! cheers
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 3/14/2011, 10:39 pm

Dollarama is still putting out their gardening section, so there should be more after St Patties Day and Easter stuff is gone.

Some of the gardening things are tucked onto Isle ends around the store away from the main gardening section and the seasonal isle which also tends to fill up more gardening stuff once Easter comes along. The seed starting supplies (jiffy pots and traységreen house domes) were on the end of an isle across the store from the garden section, so you will likely need to have a look around to find them.

My list does include many items I found at Dollarama last year, so I am hopeful they will have most of those items again. I am looking for more 3 ft spiral supports, so I hope they have them again this year. They did go quickly lasy year, as $2 is a really good price for them.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Back to top Go down

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Empty Dollar Store Gardening supplies

Post  The Cynergist 3/21/2011, 11:48 pm

I got a lot of great stuff at Dollarama too last year. My favourite were some little lights that look like rocks and snails and turtles. My least favourite was a wooden expandable trellis; stay away from that one. It crumbled like a cookie when I opened it.

xoxo
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 3/22/2011, 12:50 am

I have never bought seeds from Dollarama or any other Dollar Store, but I have from a Hardware store here one year that sold them 3 pkgs for $1.99. They were an odd brand I had never seen before. Germination rates were very poor. I won't do that again. Garden gloves are fine.....I usually get several pairs. I also gave up on gardening tools as they broke or bent in the first few uses. It is a great place to buy garden twine though and garden netting, plant tags, etc. You just have to watch as with anything else you buy on sale.

Cynergist, welcome to the forum. Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 396615 I haven't had the chance to introduce myself to you. It is always great to have another Canadian on here. what is you zone like and what do you like to grow. I am in central BC. a zone 3b.

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Empty Thanks for the Welcome

Post  The Cynergist 3/22/2011, 2:38 am

Old Hippie wrote:

Cynergist, welcome to the forum. Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 396615 I haven't had the chance to introduce myself to you. It is always great to have another Canadian on here. what is you zone like and what do you like to grow. I am in central BC. a zone 3b.

Gwynn

Thanks for the welcome Gwynn. I've got quite a few things going on in the garden, or rather I will do when I can get outside. I made my first post of the season on my blog all about my plans. I've got some things started in the house; 3 types of tomatoes, cantaloupe, red and green bell pepper and broccoli.

I live in South Eastern Ontario; don't know what zone that is although, I think someone in here in the forum told me what it was last year.
The Cynergist
The Cynergist

Female Posts : 141

http://adf.ly/115253/gardenblog

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 5/2/2011, 12:54 pm

I am soooooo happy!!! I've been struggling with building a trellis or buying tomato spirals. I even priced both out and was weighing the costs. I had looked in my local Dollarama before and was only able to find short tomato spirals. Maybe 3 or 4 feet tall. That is not tall enough for my indeterminates. I have one in my kitchen that is almost that tall already! Because of this, I was resigned to the fact that I would have to spend the money on trellis materials. Until now! I was at Dollarama the other day looking for something not related to my garden at all. Lo and behold, there were the 6 foot tall tomato spirals!! For only $2 each!! I bought 8. I may go buy more.

The only thing that I may have to do is find a way to stabilize them a bit. The ground I have them in is a little soft and they are moving side to side. I'm think I'll pound some rebar (DH can get it for free) into the ground deeper than the spirals are and attach them to the rebar. I may also get some little brackets to screw directly into the side of the box. They won't move!

rock on hyper :dancingpepper: chicken dance

We need a dancing tomato smiley!!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/2/2011, 1:10 pm

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_02  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_04  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_06  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_08  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_09

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 8d11bf2f43a84f39b73ac26a8e0eff78.0
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 5/2/2011, 1:18 pm

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 714994

Awesome!

Gwynn
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 5/2/2011, 1:22 pm

boffer wrote:Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_02  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_04  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_06  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_08  Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_09

Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners 8d11bf2f43a84f39b73ac26a8e0eff78.0

Oh boffer!! Have we ever told you how much we all love you? I love you I love you

That is awesome!!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 5/2/2011, 6:48 pm

Yeppers the gardening stuff is all out now at Dollarama! Even more kinds of supports than last year.

I bought some 3 ft spirals for some of my shorter vining summer squashes, as the 6fters were over kill last year.

I have seeds that I bought back in 2007 from Dollarama that still germinate great -- tomatoes, carrots, peppers, radishes, and broccoli. The onions and parsley had poor germinate rates last year and didn't grow at all this year but they aren't expected to last long anyway. 3 packs for $1 is still a deal; I have seen the same brands/packets for over a $1 each at other stores.

bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/2/2011, 7:11 pm

Blackrose wrote:
boffer wrote:Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_02 Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_04 Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_06 Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_08 Gardening Supplies for Frugal Canadian Gardeners Gif_41_09

Oh boffer!! Have we ever told you how much we all love you? I love you I love you

That is awesome!!
+1
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down