Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? Toplef10Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? I22gcj10Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? Toplef10Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? I22gcj10Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant?

+7
miinva
boffer
Furbalsmom
ander217
Blackrose
jumiclads
Squat_Johnson
11 posters

Go down

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? Empty Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant?

Post  Squat_Johnson 1/24/2011, 5:35 pm

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant?

I have had lots of problems with cabbage worms on broccoli and cabbages. I keep hearing that I should use Bacillus thuringiensis and just read about it on wiki...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacillus_thuringiensis
Anybody us it? Who sells it?

How about the pea innoculant. I raised peas the past 2 years and got only a few small harvests. Been hearing about using this innoculant thing. Again, Anybody us it? Who sells it?
-thanks in advance
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? Empty Re: Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant?

Post  jumiclads 1/24/2011, 5:48 pm

I have read that the herb Tansy is very good at keeping cabbage worms at bay aswell as cut worms. There is plenty on the internet about it if you search for "cabbage worms tansy". Hope this helps in some way
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? Empty Re: Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant?

Post  Blackrose 1/24/2011, 5:52 pm

I personally have not used either, but you can find inoculant at Vesey's:

http://www.veseys.com/us/en/store/tools/indoorseed/gardeninoculant
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Where can I find BT and/or pea innoculant? Empty BT and inoculant

Post  ander217 1/24/2011, 6:46 pm

I've used both, Squat, but it was many years ago.

A quick search of the 'net shows inoculant available on Amazon.com and through Harris Seeds and Morgan County Seeds. Morgan County has it for $3.50 for the powder, or $6 for a container that shakes onto the row.

Gurney's offers a shaker to treat a 150-ft. row for $12.50. (That's where I got mine about 20 years ago.)

For Bt look for brand names Dipel or Thuricide. Amazon carries it for $6.95 plus $5.95 shipping, but you can probably find it in the garden departments of your local stores at planting time. Make certain you get the one labeled for worms. Apparently there are two strains, and the other one is for flies and gnats.

I used the pea inoculant on my peas and they produced bumper crops that year. I wish I had remembered about it before I planted last spring's peas. The Dipel worked really well against cabbage worms. It takes about 4 days for them to die, but they stop eating immediately. It needs to be reapplied after rain.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 1/24/2011, 7:28 pm

Safer brand has "Caterpillar Killer" for Trees, Shrubs and Vegetables Concentrate that you mix with water and spray on your veggies. It is Bacillus Turingiensis, subs. kurstaki strain ABTS-351 solids, spores and insecticidal toxins. (I apologize for any misspellings here, the letters are so tiny on the instructions label of my bottle)

I found it at the County Co-op Store in their Gardening Area, insecticide dept. Unless you speak to a knowledgeable person, they may not know what BT is. I also found it a a couple of nurseries in my area. To be honest, I did not look at big box stores.

It states to treat every 3 - 14 days as needed and can be used up to the day of harvest. I found that it helped a lot. There is not much worse than getting ready to bite into some fresh broccoli and there is "something green wiggling in there".

The damage to the plants was so bad before I treated with BT, I had a couple that did not survive the infestation. Once I treated with BT, the cabbage worms went away and I was able to harvest some broccoli.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/24/2011, 7:42 pm

jumiclads wrote:I have read that the herb Tansy is very good at keeping cabbage worms at bay aswell as cut worms...

Be careful: Tansy is considered a noxious, invasive weed around here, and in many counties homeowners are fined by the county for letting Tansy go to seed in their fields and pastures.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/24/2011, 9:26 pm

Tansy ragwort can make livestock very lame, it irritates the soft tissue in their hooves, although I'm not sure that tansy and the tansy ragwort that lamed my horse are the same thing. I moved from Michigan to Washington state and hadn't heard of that problem until my horse suddenly got very sore-footed and the vet informed me that the pretty weeds in the pasture were the cause of the problem. I had no idea!
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jumiclads 1/25/2011, 5:43 am

I have done a little research on Tansy and found this for anyone who would like a read:

Common tansy is Tanacetum vulgare. Don't confuse common tansy with "tansy ragwort" (Senecio jacobea), a different plant altogether.

Tansy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tansy

Tansy Ragwort http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senecio_jacobaea
jumiclads
jumiclads

Male Posts : 167

Back to top Go down

Post  Rolanaj 1/25/2011, 11:46 am

i had tansy growing by the back door started off quite small and got extremely huge. I like its foliage it is quite fern like and pretty but the flowers look like a daisy with the petals pulled off. I pulled it all up the year before last and have been having to pull up any new pieces that sprout, its rather persistent. It is supposed to keeps ants and other insects out of your house when planted by entryways though.
Rolanaj

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 1/29/2011, 5:17 pm

I got Bt at Ace Hardware. I can't remember the brand but it was in powdered form. IMO a liquid you can spray on would be better because many of my cabbage worms were on the underside of leaves. I know Bt comes in liquid form but I could not find any.

I found pea & bean inoculant at several stores that sell Burpee seeds. Home Depot, Lowes, etc. It was right on the seed rack in a little packet near the beans/peas.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 1/29/2011, 5:34 pm

jumiclads wrote:I have done a little research on Tansy and found this for anyone who would like a read:

Common tansy is Tanacetum vulgare. Don't confuse common tansy with "tansy ragwort" (Senecio jacobea), a different plant altogether.

Tansy http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tansy

Tansy Ragwort http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Senecio_jacobaea

Thank you, Mick, I should have done a google search Smile
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  snowjay 1/30/2011, 12:22 pm

I heard that the pea/bean innoculant is only 'good' for one year so only buy what you plan on using that year. I soak all my pea/bean seeds for a few hours in a cup of warm water before planting and then drain the seeds, sprinkle a bit of the innoculant on the seeds, toss and plant.. Very Happy
snowjay
snowjay

Female Posts : 16

Back to top Go down

Post  Weedless_ 2/13/2011, 3:43 pm

BT got me puzzled for a while, and even our local nursery told me the didn't have it, while they actually did. It's called Thuricide. Every gardening store has it.
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum