Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Toplef10From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) I22gcj10From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Toplef10From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) I22gcj10From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising Today at 8:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz Today at 11:23 am

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:48 am

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson Today at 1:57 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by ralitaco 4/29/2024, 9:47 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 4/28/2024, 10:20 am

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great)

+4
ander217
duhh
middlemamma
jkahn2eb
8 posters

Go down

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Empty From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great)

Post  jkahn2eb 1/21/2011, 3:26 pm

Found the SFG book in the back of my Baker Creek catalog. Placed my first order this year and I got all types of tomatoes (Black Cherry, Reisentraub, Paul Robeson's, Belarusian Heart and - the ones I'm most looking forward to: Vorlon), cukes (Beit Alpha and Dragon's Egg), spinach, romaine lettuce, calabrese broccoli, swiss chard, mini sweet bell peppers, anaheim peppers, large jalepenos, marigolds (to attact bees) and Siam Queen basil (at Mel's recommendation).

Using an apartment patio in Chandler, AZ so space is limited but we do face south. A large tree blocks midday sun which may not/may be good since in AZ. I've built the SFG with a bottom and will soon hoist it up on blocks to allow / collect drainage. For now it remains empty while seedlings grow inside.

Had tough time finding four pack trays after lifting seedlings from vermiculite so I went to Target and bought a bunch of cheap short plastic cups, which I can easily label and reuse. The drill easily went thru 10-15 cups at a time to create three drainage holes.

( I'm also growing for a friend and mother-in-law - that's why so many plants are starting.)

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Seed-development

Been trying to be ecological. I cut the bottoms off water, soda and OJ bottles to hold vermiculite and seedlings. I'm using the box that held my AMD Athlon II processor to hold all my seed packages. My black box used for soccer coaching broke it's handle. I covered the outside in thick white paper and packing tape, drilled some holes and filled it up with Mel's Mix. It's a roughly a cubic foot and now has half amarillo carrots and half cosmic purple carrots seeded.

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Carrots

(the wife decorated the outside)

I know I won't have room in my SFG for all my plants, so I'll just use the pots I've acquired over the past year for tomato plants - but I know I only need to plant 6-8 in. deep rather than 10-12 in. To free up two pots and two wire trellises, I transplanted two of my four Ferry-Morse cherry tomato plants into upside down containers. They were started in the fall and two are small compared to the other two. They aren't in Mel's Mix and I figured the soil could be hampering... so I figured what the hay, it's worth a try.

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) First-square-foot-garden

(the two tomato plants at left are about to be bombed with sunlight for several more hours while my hardy swiss chard continues churning out chow)

I used a 2 liter soda bottle and a 1.75 liter OJ bottle with a wire hanger drilled thru the sides to hang it. Did the deed late in the afternoon when the sun had passed. They looked good the next day but they caught a little too much sun and they almost died. Most of the leaves hung limp. I quickly moved them to shade, added water (can't overwater Mel's Mix, right?) and prayed. They both looked good several hours later aside from a couple stems / leaves that each plant had decided to sacrifice for survival. I trimmed them off and I think both transplants will be a success. Leaves feel strong again and they are reaching happily for light. Anxious to see how they perform being upside down and with Mel's Mix, as opposed to potting soil with sand at the bottom.

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Upside-down-cherry-tomatoes

They will eventually hang over the SFG so water can be used twice. I also plan to cut an old pair of jeans up and slide the cut leg pieces over the plastic in the upside down garden. I plan to paint the jeans white to help reflect light/heat.

Back to the SFG, I'm thinking placing tarp between the bottom plywood and the concrete blocks. I'll place a block in each corner and one in the middle. In the four quadrants I'll create a hole and then slice the tarp a few inches each direction to create a "funnel" under which I'll have four pans to collect draining water to be reused.

Will try to keep updates coming. I did seed some spinach and india mustard outside in a 2' x 6" plastic planter and I see the first little guys coming up. Forgot to mark which was at each end so... I'll have fun figuring out who's who. study
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Empty Re: From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great)

Post  middlemamma 1/21/2011, 6:53 pm

You are just really on top of the economy end of gardening! Awesome....

Love your whole set up.

I lived in Prescott for 13 years and have moved here to Idaho recently...

I am loving the Pacific Northwest, every once in a while I am a little envious of your nearly year around season. bounce

middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Empty Re: From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great)

Post  duhh 1/24/2011, 1:51 am

Your set up looks great! I look forward to seeing your progress this spring! SFG is perfect for your space.
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Empty Welcome

Post  ander217 1/24/2011, 5:42 am

Welcome, jkahn2eb. Your setup looks great. I also buy seeds from Baker Creek. I love their catalog.

You mentioned planting marigolds to attract bees. I read on the 'net that bees aren't attracted to double marigolds because they can't reach the pollen. If memory serves, single blossom types were the only ones they visit, and French marigolds were best for attracting them. I'm no bee expert - just something I read.

I'm looking forward to seeing more of your photos as your garden grows.

glad you\'re here
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 1/24/2011, 10:21 am

Thanks all. I've made plenty of mistakes already but none catastrophic.

Ander - the marigolds are the Petite Mix out of Baker Creek - as the packet reads: "a dwarf mixture of the crested French Marigolds; only grow to 10"-12" tall with bright colors." I guess I lucked out based on the info you provided.

jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/24/2011, 11:20 am

jkahn.....You live in an entirely different cosmic zone than me, but I, too, find that experimenting with different methods and ideas fascinating.
Keep up the good work.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 1/24/2011, 11:49 am

jkahn2eb wrote:Had tough time finding four pack trays after lifting seedlings from vermiculite so I went to Target and bought a bunch of cheap short plastic cups, which I can easily label and reuse. The drill easily went thru 10-15 cups at a time to create three drainage holes.

I'm using the box that held my AMD Athlon II processor to hold all my seed packages. My black box used for soccer coaching broke it's handle. I covered the outside in thick white paper and packing tape, drilled some holes and filled it up with Mel's Mix. It's a roughly a cubic foot and now has half amarillo carrots and half cosmic purple carrots seeded.

(the wife decorated the outside)

I have a whole bunch of clear plastic cups leftover from the holidays, just figured out what to use them for finally instead of recycling them. Thanks for that! I'm fascinated by the carrot box, and growing carrots in general. Don't know why either... You've got quite the set-up, can't wait to follow along!
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 1/24/2011, 10:39 pm

A cheap "pot" you might be interested in...Dollar Tree has 2.5 gallon buckets (for $1 of course). They are black, but I'm going to spray mine with a $1 can of white spray paint from WalMart. Just drill some holes in the bottom. It's a really good price for something that big...and you'll find that although things grow fine in 6 inches of MM it also dries out really quickly during the summer, so you may have trouble with smaller pots.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  jkahn2eb 1/25/2011, 9:18 am

Nice elliephant. Will check that out.

Made a cutting of a big branch from my one rockin cherry tomato plant as the plant was a bit too bushy. Pruned off suckers on the branch and shoved it in a two-liter filled with vermiculite. Will then empty most vermiculite and pour in Mel's Mix but I'm already thinking I should have just put Mel's Mix in and skipped the vermiculite. Oh well, it's just an experiment. What a Face
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

From AZ - First SFG - This forum has helped fill in a lot (though the book's been great) Empty Update - let them be hardened

Post  jkahn2eb 2/12/2011, 8:04 pm

Tomorrow I move all my seedlings outdoors to begin hardening. They've been receiving some pretty intensive sun/heat in the morning thru the window. I've already put a couple trays out and the last three trays of seedlings will venture out tomorrow where they don't get as much morning sun, instead they get afternoon sun. I have a sunshade cloth to protect 'em - my tomatoes I placed outside are doing just fine. I'll keep a close eye on everyone.

Looks like the last of the cold sub-40 degree nights are over in Phoenix though everyone will remain in cups which are in trays in case something unforeseen happens. I'm eager to plant my tomatoes into my garden and bigger containers but I feel I must fight the urge and let them grow taller / longer so I can lay them vertically in soil.

My one, fully grown cherry tomato plant continues to flower like mad and there must be about 30 green tomatoes but none has started changing colors. Perhaps they are waiting for warmer evenings. We hit 80 today during the afternoon.
jkahn2eb
jkahn2eb

Back to top Go down

Post  Furbalsmom 2/12/2011, 9:28 pm

Sounds like great progress jkahn2eb, I can sympathize with your wish to get those plants out in their permanent places, but you have the right idea, waiting until the tomaotes are a bit sturdier and the weather a bit more predictable.
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down