Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Toplef10Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? I22gcj10Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Toplef10Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? I22gcj10Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties?

+4
duhh
martha
Furbalsmom
middlemamma
8 posters

Go down

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Empty Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties?

Post  middlemamma 11/11/2010, 3:22 pm

What was your experience?

Emerald Apple
Green Zebra
Green Grape
Aunt Ruby's German Green

Just trying to decide which tomato's to try next spring...several of these are russian varieties...and I thought they might do well in my mild summer climate...

Jen
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Empty Re: Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties?

Post  Furbalsmom 11/11/2010, 6:45 pm

Green Zebra is very flavorful. I grew it when I lived in the Willamette Valley and it did well there. Love the bright green insides, so unusual.

I had bad results with them this past year, but remember the Oregon Coast is not conducive to growing tomatoes in general. Most of my heirlooms were not successful.

I would try it just for its uniqueness and good taste.

Last edited by Furbalsmom on 11/11/2010, 6:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Furbalsmom
Furbalsmom

Female Posts : 3141

Back to top Go down

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Empty Re: Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties?

Post  middlemamma 11/11/2010, 6:47 pm

MM talking to herself: Ok, one point for green zebra.... Wink
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  martha 11/11/2010, 8:08 pm

I did not have much flavor from my green zebras. I loved Aunt Ruby's german green! And have not tried green grape, although now that I think of it, I am not sure why.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2188

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 11/11/2010, 11:21 pm

I haven't grown them yet, but I have the green zebra and Aunt Ruby's green seeds to start for this next spring.

I got a green zebra from the farmers market a couple weeks ago and it was yummy! We will be growing it in our garden this year.

I went a bit crazy and will have about 30 different types of tomatoes in the spring! I can't wait to see which do well here and which I like the most.

Good luck! I hope you will find one that does well for you!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/11/2010, 11:23 pm

Oh I am so JEALOUS!!! I will have about 10 total plants...and 2 will be sweet 200...probably 8 other different ones 30 different ones would be glorious.... Smile
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 11/11/2010, 11:34 pm

This year was my first with Green Zebra and we all loved them. Very tasty.
I will grow more next year here in Maine.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  duhh 11/12/2010, 12:29 am

Haha! I will prob wonder what I was thinking come March! I just got all excited and ordered a few kinds, then found some more...then picked up a couple more at the nursery.. and hubby was doing the same! We will be starting them in a couple weeks for transplanting in Feb.

If you would like some green zebra seeds or some of the aunt rubys, I will be happy to send you some. I do have a couple extra!
duhh
duhh

Female Posts : 378

http://duhhworld.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/12/2010, 12:31 am

OH! Duhh, if you don't mind that would be wonderful! sunny I will PM you my address.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! bounce
middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 11/12/2010, 5:29 am

I have Green Zebra seeds cued up to get planted next, but have no experience with them.

Based on our different growing seasons, I'll have a little head start & may be able to help with some early "what not to do" pointers Shocked Laughing
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 11/12/2010, 5:32 am

duhh wrote:
I went a bit crazy and will have about 30 different types of tomatoes in the spring!

Ahhhh ... a kindred spirit ...

I'm in the same boat ...... this will be a very interesting spring.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Empty tomato varieties

Post  ander217 11/12/2010, 8:43 am

I grew Green Grape and Aunt Ruby's German Green this summer. I loved the taste of Aunt Ruby's which is a beefsteak type. However, it is definitely not bred for a high temp, high humidity, low rainfall climate. We got one - count 'em, one - tomato from the entire plant and then it died. But that one tomato was de-lish. Hubby thinks it's a waste of time to try to grow them again, but I think they were good enough to try again and hope for a better growing year. (Our neighbor grew them the year before which was a wonderful growing year in this area, and he said they performed well in his garden. He really sings their praises.)

The Green Grape tomatoes looked really nice as a contrasting color in tomato salads but I wasn't crazy about the flavor. Again, I think some of it can be blamed on our lousy growing year. They didn't survive the summer.

Baker Creek's catalog says Green Grape was developed by Tom Wagner, and is a sister tomato to his Green Zebra, but the flavor may be even more "rich, sweet, and zingy."

I will grow Green Grape again but not as a mainstay, but rather to add interest and color contrast with red and yellow tomatoes. Baker Creek offers an Aunt Ruby's German Cherry tomato. If I had it to do over I think I would try those instead of Green Grape. But again, I think it all depends on your growing climate.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 11/12/2010, 1:29 pm

Thanks for all the input folks! Acara I will be waiting on the edge of my seat for your tips and advice.

I started a few seeds last night like you instructed as my testers before Jan/Feb comes and I need to have all my seeds started...

Thanks Ander! I bet the do look pretty in a salad...I will check out the other ones you mentioned.

middlemamma
middlemamma

Back to top Go down

Have you ever grown any of these tomato varieties? Empty Seed

Post  ander217 11/13/2010, 8:07 am

I planned to put this on the seed exchange thread, but I'll post it here for now and you can move it if you think it needs to be moved.

I went crazy at Baker Creek's seed store in August and wound up buying over a dozen more tomato seed varieties. (They were out of yellow tomatoes or I'd have bought even more!) I'd be happy to share any of the following:

Missouri Pink Love Apple
Henderson's Pink Ponderosa
Monomakh's Hat
Royal Chico
Thessaloniki
Fox Cherry
Green Grape
Aunt Ruby's German Green
Henderson's Crimson Cushion
Ingegnoli Gigante Liscio
Jersey Giant
Great White
Flame or Hillbilly (had these on a tomato sandwich at their restaurant and had to go right over and buy a packet of them - wonderful-tasting yellow tomato with red stripes - meaty with few seeds)

I have these from SESE:
Tropic
Arkansas Traveler (2004 seed)
Rutgers ('04 seed but germinated fine for me last year)

I have one packet of Shumway's experimental variety, Early Big Red (came as a freebie in an '06 order but I've never tried them.)

I'm looking for seed for Sweet 100, any yellow pear or yellow cherry, and a large yellow tomato variety.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 11/13/2010, 10:43 am

That is a whole lot of green tomatoes MM. We had a BAD tomato year in Western Washington; most of my tomatoes were naturally green.

Siltz (Red) was a big winner. Loads of baseball to softball fruit that ripened starting in August. Only two had BER. I know it isn't what you are looking for, I'm just saying, of the yard full of tomatoes I grew, those made salad and sandwiches.

I am still going to retry most of the seed I have. Persimmon yielded a few tasty globes but they crack around the stem end and bugs got into some of them. Early Girl made small tomatoes that often had BER even with extra calcium. Black Russian Paste started to color up in late August, but were mostly green in late September when we pulled the plants out. Cherokee Purple made HUGE, misshapen tomatoes that I would have loved to tried. Just started to color out in October, were not ripe when we left for hunting. Brandywine made two small hard green fruit that did not set until late August and never did ripen.

I did get a green zebra at Trader Joe's. It was pretty good, but after a wet cold year in the PNW, I am seriously longing for a little bit of red.

Now if you want to talk cold weather peppers....

Deborah.... another day without papers to grade.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down