Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need material for your compost pile??? Toplef10Need material for your compost pile??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need material for your compost pile??? I22gcj10Need material for your compost pile??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Need material for your compost pile??? Toplef10Need material for your compost pile??? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Need material for your compost pile??? I22gcj10Need material for your compost pile??? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Seedling Identification
by markqz Today at 11:14 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by aadams43 Today at 9:36 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener Today at 4:14 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:22 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 9:50 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 5:13 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Today at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Today at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Need material for your compost pile???

+2
camprn
milaneyjane
6 posters

Go down

Need material for your compost pile??? Empty Need material for your compost pile???

Post  milaneyjane 10/9/2010, 11:55 am

I thought I would throw this out for people looking for lots of compost material quickly. My kids go to a charter school that composts, grows SFG's, as well as worm composting. At lunch time when the kids are done they have a bucket for everything that goes in the compost pile out back. It adds up quickly!!!!! I was surprised the teachers weren't using the coffee grounds from the staff coffee maker so I am starting to collect those for here at home. If you have a nearby school I bet they would be more than willing to cut down on their trash and hand over their fruit/vege lunch remains.
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Need material for your compost pile??? Empty Re: Need material for your compost pile???

Post  camprn 10/9/2010, 12:23 pm

We here in the Keene NH area take our Jack-o-Lanterns VERY seriously (do you hear the tooting horn? Click HERE and HERE).
We (mostly) love our annual Harvest Festival & it is a lot of fun. So, practically all the school in the region have pumpkin carving (as the school nurse I am horrified!) affraid and I am getting all my buckets together and bringing them to school on carving day. Some of the seeds will go to various homes for roasting, but I get ALL THE GUTS for my compost pile. This makes for a happy CampRN!

Very Happy
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Need material for your compost pile??? Empty Re: Need material for your compost pile???

Post  CarolynPhillips 10/9/2010, 7:14 pm

Very nice Ideas.

There is one material that I refuse to collect and that is hair from the salon or barbers shop........ tongue I cant stand the thought of their hair in my roots. Shocked
CarolynPhillips
CarolynPhillips

Female Posts : 779

Back to top Go down

Post  Aub 10/9/2010, 11:16 pm

I own a salon and I will every once in a while bring hair from work home. I'm not wild about it IN the compost but I did put it around my strawberries to keep the critters out, to no avail.
Aub
Aub

Female Posts : 283

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/10/2010, 3:59 am

CampRN, do they use knives, or the little saw blades, to carve? The saw blades are much safer, and actually give you far better control. I use them as a grown-up because it's faster, and I can make better designs! (Yes, I still carve jack-o-lanterns, even if my kid doesn't want to) Of course here, it's a novelty, that les americains decorate their house for Halloween and have une citrouille illuminee on the front porch.

By the way...just a caution -- if you have a canine in your life, make sure you bury the remains of your pumpkin well after Halloween. Our big lab ate a good portion of it last year, before I looked it up on the web and found that not only do dogs LOVE the taste of pumpkin, it's an excellent cure for constipation (high fiber). He was sick for a couple of hours, with uncontrollable drooling (poor guy)....I sat up with him half the night until the symptoms began to fade, and was out at 10 pm with a flashlight and a trashbag tracking down all the busted-up chunks of pumpkin that he'd dragged off the top of my compost heap. Lesson learned!

LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/10/2010, 7:40 am

LaFee wrote:CampRN, do they use knives, or the little saw blades, to carve? The saw blades are much safer, and actually give you far better control. I use them as a grown-up because it's faster, and I can make better designs! (Yes, I still carve jack-o-lanterns, even if my kid doesn't want to) Of course here, it's a novelty, that les americains decorate their house for Halloween and have une citrouille illuminee on the front porch.

By the way...just a caution -- if you have a canine in your life, make sure you bury the remains of your pumpkin well after Halloween. Our big lab ate a good portion of it last year, before I looked it up on the web and found that not only do dogs LOVE the taste of pumpkin, it's an excellent cure for constipation (high fiber). He was sick for a couple of hours, with uncontrollable drooling (poor guy)....I sat up with him half the night until the symptoms began to fade, and was out at 10 pm with a flashlight and a trashbag tracking down all the busted-up chunks of pumpkin that he'd dragged off the top of my compost heap. Lesson learned!

I agree LaFee, I have encouraged the adults to use the knives to cut the tops of the pumpkins open but some of them still allow the students to do that. Sometimes the students will use the knives. We are talking middle school students, 12-14 year olds. We do use the carving kit tools, the plastic hand drills and the little saws. I think they are better tools for the project ( and safer). Last year I only sent one student for sutures.

When I am pumpkin carving at home, I use a really nice set of stainless vegetable carving tools that a friend of mine brought brought to me from Cambodia . Those are FABULOUS for nice intricate work.

OH and thanks for the tip about canines eating pumpkin, that I did not know!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/10/2010, 1:13 pm

CarolynPhillips wrote:
There is one material that I refuse to collect and that is hair from the salon or barbers shop........ tongue I cant stand the thought of their hair in my roots. Shocked

Can't find my gardening book which talks about why hair is good and what it contains exactly. I do remember that it contains valuable minerals that your plants will love, very similar to what is in bones or cows' hooves. I use it a lot. It doesn't stay like hair very long but turns to a kind of gelatin in the bottom of the pot......especially if I can't get bone or blood meal.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down