Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Toplef10Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet I22gcj10Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Toplef10Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet I22gcj10Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 11:55 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet

+6
AndreaHall
Old Hippie
acara
Megan
dixie
Chopper
10 posters

Go down

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Empty Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet

Post  Chopper 10/7/2010, 5:52 pm

I am not a builder by any stretch. I have broken more than one drill bit in my SFG career (which is all of 9 months so far). That said I wanted to get my fruit area - blackberries, blueberries and strawberries) in beds and I wanted to do it simply.

So I had some 4X4s cut to size (was going to get 6X4s but budget dictated) and used stakes to secure them. I love it. I also found I have to put a fence around to keep out the dogs - and why this surprises me each time I do not know. A little reality-facing issue I expect. So the beds are prepared and I just need a few more fruit plants.

Since these will not be treated as annuals and left in place I am not so worried about the depth, since I have to dig down to plant the new plants anyway. As with all gardening...we shall see.

Left to right: strawberry, future blueberry and blackberry. That is fresh grass clipping in the aisles. I was going to use bark but realized bark costs and this is free. Smile
Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 10_oct10

I only staked the long ends. I figure the short ends will manage and if not it is an easy fix.
Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 10_oct11

Somehow this guy got up to my second floor bedroom and he is proving impossible to catch. Any lizard catching tricks would be appreciated.
Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet 10_oct12
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Empty Re: Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet

Post  dixie 10/7/2010, 6:43 pm

Your beds look great & my granddaughters would love the lizard.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Empty Re: Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet

Post  dixie 10/7/2010, 6:45 pm

try using 2 hands - your nondominant hand in front of him, just hold your hand still to get his attention & let him focus on it, then use the other hand to come in behind him & catch him.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/7/2010, 7:34 pm

dixie wrote:try using 2 hands - your nondominant hand in front of him, just hold your hand still to get his attention & let him focus on it, then use the other hand to come in behind him & catch him.

First of all, I could not get within 5 feet of him without his running away! LOL!.

I jokingly told my grandkids I would give them $1 if they could catch the lizard. And #1 grandson did it! I walked in the door and there he was with a plastic bag and a still living lizard. He let him go in back. Just as well, no telling how long the thing would have survived in my room.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 10/7/2010, 8:07 pm

Of course, for the next few weeks if you feel anything twitching around your toes while you're trying to sleep, you know what it is. Twisted Evil
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 10/7/2010, 8:12 pm

Yep ...any 5-year-old in the neighborhood can catch that in 30 seconds ....it's an innate talent all children have.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/8/2010, 10:23 am

Chopper, that looks awesome. Are the blackberries you are planting non-suckering? Eventually, I would like to get some blackberries, raspberries and blueberries as well, but I know that raspberries send out underground shoots that come up everywhere and blackberries are supposed to be even worse unless you get the non-suckering varieties. I know that you can put in some sort of underground barrier to keep them in place but that is a lot more digging than I have time for or my aching old body can handle. (Okay, if I am really truthful here......I am just basically lazy and it is just a lot more work than I care to do) Besides that, it is something else I would have to buy or try to scrounge somewhere.

Love the grass clippings in the aisles. Isn't FREE wonderful?! LOL! Did you put down newspaper or cardboard first? It really helps to keep the weeds down. I wanted to do bark too but it is waaaay expensive. Someday maybe but in the meantime, the less I spend on materials the more money I have for plants! If you have a local sawmill or cabinet building shop, they may give you planer shavings for free too. The coarser the better so it doesn't track in the house so much.

Love your lizard....just not in the house. They eat bugs so hopefully you have more of them OUTSIDE only.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 10/8/2010, 2:56 pm

Old Hippie wrote:Chopper, that looks awesome. Are the blackberries you are planting non-suckering? .....

Love the grass clippings in the aisles. Isn't FREE wonderful?! LOL! Did you put down newspaper or cardboard first? ....

Love your lizard....just not in the house. They eat bugs so hopefully you have more of them OUTSIDE only.

GK
I think it is the suckering type. I was going to plant one or two more in that bed so I will look out for non suckering. I would happily settle for the fruiting type.

I put down newspaper in the beds but not the aisles simply because I ran out.

I have seen several lizards in the beds and have been happy to have them, but on the pillow of my favorite chair is really too much.

Chopper

Back to top Go down

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Empty Blackberry update?

Post  AndreaHall 2/19/2011, 1:06 pm

Chopper - how are your blackberries doing now? I bought a couple on a whim at Home Depot, and have yet to see signs of life. I have concerns that I purchased $10 sticks. Maybe it's just too early...
AndreaHall
AndreaHall

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  jerzyjen 2/19/2011, 2:29 pm

Andrea - I also bought blackberries on a whim (at Lowe's) back in 2009. I got no berries year 1, just pretty green leaves. Year two (last year) I did get a few small berries, but I honestly wasn't paying much attention to them (they probably needed to be fertilized). I think blackberries take a while to establish, but maybe its just my lack of skillz.... I haven't gotten my $10 worth yet, but they are still alive so maybe this year!
jerzyjen
jerzyjen

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 2/19/2011, 5:35 pm

They are not looking super. They look OK, but I haven't seen any spring growth yet. I will keep you updated.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  auntij 2/19/2011, 11:58 pm

Ok you got my attention with the berries and the lizard lol...I planted a blackberry bush last year I hope it makes it through the winter <shrugs> time will tell.....As far as the lizard cool them down a bit first they get sluggish....our Iguana Link sometimes finds a nice comfy place to lay down but it's to far from his heat and low and behold he is so much easier to catch and cuddle hehehe
auntij

Female Posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post  ccornewell 3/2/2011, 11:45 am

i wish we had lizards here in indiana. the extra 2-3 months of growing would be nice too.

last year i planted 2 each of blackberry, raspberry and blueberry. just like owning a store front; location, location, location! the 3yo twins and newfie dog didnt mean to trample them! maybe 2 survived. maybe not. spring will tell.
ccornewell

Male Posts : 8

Back to top Go down

Post  AndreaHall 3/2/2011, 11:58 am

My grapes, which I bought at the same time as the blackberries, are going crazy with new growth. My blackberries are still sticks with zero signs of life.

On a more interesting note, it's been pretty rainy here lately and I've been finding these little guys in my yard under anything that collects moisture. I like their teeny tiny arms!

Less is More - New Beds and a lizard pet Salamanders
AndreaHall
AndreaHall

Female Posts : 37

Back to top Go down

Post  Odd Duck 3/2/2011, 11:00 pm

Awesome little "sally"!

I think you may have the California slender salamander there. Check this page about 1/2 way down.

http://www.californiaherps.com/identification/salamandersid/salamanders.id2.html
Odd Duck

Female Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down