Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup Toplef10potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup I22gcj10potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup Toplef10potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup I22gcj10potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup

+4
boffer
Megan
camprn
Chopper
8 posters

Go down

potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup Empty Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup

Post  Chopper 9/30/2010, 8:41 pm

I picked one of my two acorn squashes today. I used it in a soup that I love. It turned out to be slightly unripe, but not too bad. I ended up adding a few things to the soup for volume b/c the seed cavity was larger than I had expected so there was not as much meat as I had hoped.

Below is the recipe. I normally interchange any winter squash for the sweet potato. In the case of this soup I added a carrot, a beet and a garlic clove b/c that is what I had on hand along with the squash. I was afraid that since the squash was not fully ripe it would not have the full flavor I like.

It turned out super, so no complaints. And the beet gave it a lovely color.

Ingredients
4 cups Roasted Vegetable Broth (I used chicken broth today)
2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams), peeled, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
1 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk (or 1 can coconut milk - yum! or 1 can evaporated milk)
Plain nonfat yogurt
2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

Preparation
Bring broth to boil in large saucepan.
Add sweet potatoes and curry powder; cover and simmer until potatoes are very tender, about 20 minutes.
Using slotted spoon, transfer sweet potatoes to processor. Puree until smooth.
Add 1 cup broth; process until well blended. Return mixture to saucepan with broth.
Add milk; bring to simmer. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill. Rewarm over medium heat.)
Ladle soup into bowls.
Top with dollop of yogurt. Sprinkle with chives.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup Empty Re: Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup

Post  camprn 9/30/2010, 8:47 pm

That sounds very yummy! Thanks for sharing. (PS: I hope your weather is more bearable today).
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup Empty Re: Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup

Post  Megan 9/30/2010, 9:06 pm

That is interesting. I have a really nice curried squash soup recipe that uses summer squash. Now if I can just find it!!!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/30/2010, 9:21 pm

camprn wrote:That sounds very yummy! Thanks for sharing. (PS: I hope your weather is more bearable today).

Here is the weird thing. It hit that 115 F the other day with more supposedly to follow as you know, but it has been overcast ever since. And today it rained. So although it has been hot, the sun has taken a break and the rainy day has kept things cooler. My plants were like "What is happening? The sky is falling". Some of them have never seen real rain.

Just came in from my balcony from watching the lightening. Cheap thrills CA style. LOL
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/30/2010, 9:23 pm

Chopper wrote:
camprn wrote:That sounds very yummy! Thanks for sharing. (PS: I hope your weather is more bearable today).

Here is the weird thing. It hit that 115 F the other day with more supposedly to follow as you know, but it has been overcast ever since. And today it rained. So although it has been hot, the sun has taken a break and the rainy day has kept things cooler. My plants were like "What is happening? The sky is falling". Some of them have never seen real rain.

Just came in from my balcony from watching the lightening. Cheap thrills CA style. LOL
The cheap thrills sound pretty darn good!
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/30/2010, 9:29 pm

I still miss the LA skyline. It's amazing how you can just see for miles and miles.

I went camping once in Joshua Tree National Monument. Now THERE was some awesome night sky! So dry, almost no light pollution... we stayed up for what seemed like hours counting shooting stars. Another night, Camp Pendleton was practicing night drops, and that too was awesome, in a completely different way.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/30/2010, 10:07 pm

Wyldflower needs to chime in. I spent a year in Denver, off and on, and the electrical storms were magnificent. They were much better than what I saw growing up in Ohio. 'Cheap entertainment'? I would have paid!

Western WA doesn't even get out of the starting gate when it comes to lightening. Sad
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 9/30/2010, 10:11 pm

I have a view facing south that is great as I am on a hill. It looks to far off mountains in each direction. The real thrill is that we NEVER get lightening storms and rain this early is not unheard of, but also a treat. During the storm the rain was south and west of me. Unfortunately, I was all out of popcorn.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 10/1/2010, 1:33 pm

boffer wrote:Wyldflower needs to chime in.

It's been pretty dry this year, but we had some phenomenal thunderstorms in July! It's just amazing watching the lightning on top of Pikes Peak, while it's clear down here in Colorado Springs! I like to sit on my front porch (with a view of the Peak) and enjoy the show whenever I can! I think lightning storms are some of my favorite things!
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

potato - Curried squash (or sweet potato) soup Empty Not Me!!

Post  bettyd_z7_va 10/11/2010, 12:20 pm

Lightening may be fun to watch far off, but I live between 2 hills.

If I see lightening- I RUN FOR COVER!!!

A family friend lost her teenaged son to a lightening strike a few years ago. Another local boy the year before.

It would probably be a good show for y'all watching me try to time the strikes and run from the car to the house in between!

Betty
bettyd_z7_va

Female Posts : 123

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/11/2010, 12:35 pm

Central Florida is the lightning capital of the world - I have NEVER seen electrical storms anywhere like the ka-ray-zee ones they have in THAT neck of the woods.

From a safe vantage point, it's an awesome sight.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 10/11/2010, 12:40 pm

Wyldflower wrote:

It's been pretty dry this year, but we had some phenomenal thunderstorms in July! It's just amazing watching the lightning on top of Pikes Peak, while it's clear down here in Colorado Springs! I like to sit on my front porch (with a view of the Peak) and enjoy the show whenever I can! I think lightning storms are some of my favorite things!

We used to live in Manitoba. I LOVE the prairie thunderstorms. They are not nearly as good out west here as a rule. On a canoe trip a few years ago we got caught out on a lake in the middle of one and that is a whole different feeling. affraid The thunder echoing and re-echoing off the mountains was amazing but I don't care to repeat that experience.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 10/11/2010, 12:47 pm

By the way...you can use pumpkin in any recipe that calls for squash, too.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down