Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vinyl Grid Toplef10Vinyl Grid 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vinyl Grid I22gcj10Vinyl Grid 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Vinyl Grid Toplef10Vinyl Grid 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Vinyl Grid I22gcj10Vinyl Grid 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Vinyl Grid

+8
Old Hippie
Garden Angel
Steve144
elliephant
acara
boffer
Megan
Inca Heat
12 posters

Go down

Vinyl Grid Empty Vinyl Grid

Post  Inca Heat 9/24/2010, 9:08 pm

Is there somewhere that sells what appears to be untreated vinyl like:

http://squarefootgardening.mybisi.com/product/sfg-grid-4x4-vinyl

in an Agway, Lowe's, etc?
Inca Heat

Back to top Go down

Vinyl Grid Empty Re: Vinyl Grid

Post  Megan 9/24/2010, 9:12 pm

I used to work at one of the big box stores, and I don't recall a product like that, but that may not mean anything. Wood lath, though, is readily available. (And hello and welcome to the forum! Very Happy glad you\'re here )
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 9/24/2010, 9:23 pm

I agree: a grid is mandatory.

BUT: For my fifth year of SFG, I tried nylon string, and it's better than the re-bar, mahogany lath, plastic baseboard, 3/8 round scraps welded together, and vinyl blinds that I have used in the past.

I know Mel doesn't like string, but I do!

boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/24/2010, 9:24 pm

x1 ... havent seen that in the box stores.

I used the composite wall molding on mine though & that worked great (and is cheap)
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Inca Heat 9/24/2010, 9:26 pm

Megan wrote:I used to work at one of the big box stores, and I don't recall a product like that, but that may not mean anything. Wood lath, though, is readily available. (And hello and welcome to the forum! Very Happy glad you\'re here )

I used basic wood lathe, and boy is it gnarled up after a long hot summer. Thats why I was asking about the vinyl product, if it was available perhaps in a raw form off the internet, would be good. I didn't think about string, but that sounds interesting as well.

How do you border off the squares with string?
Inca Heat

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant 9/24/2010, 9:31 pm

I'll tell you how I did it with yarn (leftover from craft projects).

I got little (1/4 inch long) screws and screwed them in every foot, leaving just enough room to slip the yarn under. Then I tied the yard around those.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/24/2010, 9:33 pm

Inca Heat wrote:How do you border off the squares with string?

I used green garden twine (the sort that comes on a reel at the big box store and costs a dollar or two) myself. I put screws in, wrapped the twine, then screwed it the rest of the way. A few pieces eventually broke, but it gave me the delineation I wanted. I thought about eyehooks but I was afraid I'd trip on them. (I have landscape timbers, not boards.)
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Vinyl Grid Empty Grid Alternative

Post  Steve144 9/25/2010, 3:35 am

I agree, as Mel says, "If it don't have a grid, then it's not a Square Foot Garden!"

The one thing I don't like is sagging and untidy grids. I have constructed my grids from PVC pipe. They are relatively inexpensive and yet, maintain the "prominent and permanent" characteristics that Mel speaks of in the book. The parts are readily available to anyone with a few tools.

Steve Earls

Last edited by boffer on 9/25/2010, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Website removed for solicitation.)
Steve144
Steve144

Male Posts : 2

http://sfgsupply.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Garden Angel 9/25/2010, 9:50 am

We used clothesline from the dollar store , I guess it is meant to be out side and will hold up. Just used a staple gun to secure it tight to the box ,I like the string too!
Garden Angel
Garden Angel

Female Posts : 247

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 9/25/2010, 10:13 am

SEarls wrote:I agree, as Mel says, "If it don't have a grid, then it's not a Square Foot Garden!"

The one thing I don't like is sagging and untidy grids. I have constructed my grids from PVC pipe. They are relatively inexpensive and yet, maintain the "prominent and permanent" characteristics that Mel speaks of in the book. The parts are readily available to anyone with a few tools. Check out my site for ideas. Blessings!

Steve Earls

Love your idea Steve. I checked out your site. Using the PVC pipe for irrigation as well is a fabulous idea. It would be fairly easy to attach that to a hose from my rain barrels which are set up on concrete blocks and have a gravity fed system.

The structure of the grid is important to me. I love the look and the order it gives to my SFG. But untidy grids bother me too. The vinyl slats from old venetian blinds break and don't stay straight and that bugs me. They were free though and better than NO grid.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/25/2010, 10:21 am

Careful on that .... unless you have a huge height differential (20'+) or a massive amount of water (and huge surface area) in that rain barrel, your going to need a pump to get decent pressure through 1/2" pipe (consistently) across the entire bed.

I've never been able to get any kind of low volume distributed flow out of a cistern/waterbarrel arrangements .... been trying for years with my ponds because adding rainwater is always preffered to adding treated water for my fish (especially since they started disenfecting with chloramines down here if central FL).

Wont take much of a pump ('lil giant submersibles work well) ...but I suspect it will take a pump to keep you from having more than annoying dribble out of everything past the first or second hole in the watering frame.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Old Hippie 9/25/2010, 10:27 am

Hmmmmm.......MORE food for thought! Thanks for that info.

GK
Old Hippie
Old Hippie
Regional Hosts

Female Posts : 1156

Back to top Go down

Post  SFG in Chicago 9/25/2010, 1:19 pm

I also just used some leftover yarn I had. I just pushed thumbtacks into the top of the boards & wrapped the yarn around them. It worked fine and the yarn has lasted all season.
SFG in Chicago

Female Posts : 110

http://www.glassfever.net

Back to top Go down

Post  middlemamma 9/25/2010, 11:06 pm

+1 Boffer

I also an taking out the lathe strips. I hate the room they take up. I mean if you laid all three side by side and measured, it is significant. And I was REALLY sick of the dandelion seeds landing right under the crosses and getting splinters in the top of my hand trying to get to the sprouts. I am converting to string as I pull out the summer stuff and start fall crops.

Hubby had some nylon string but it has stretched already and I need to replace...clothesline sounds good...or was considering kite string.
middlemamma
middlemamma

Female Posts : 2264

Back to top Go down

Post  Inca Heat 9/27/2010, 1:22 am

middlemamma wrote:+1 Boffer

I also an taking out the lathe strips. I hate the room they take up. I mean if you laid all three side by side and measured, it is significant. And I was REALLY sick of the dandelion seeds landing right under the crosses and getting splinters in the top of my hand trying to get to the sprouts. I am converting to string as I pull out the summer stuff and start fall crops.

Hubby had some nylon string but it has stretched already and I need to replace...clothesline sounds good...or was considering kite string.

Middlemama is the best mama. I just bought myself some eyes to use, so I can tie my string up. Also built myself a 2'x2'x10" potato tower on the fly, seeing as I did not really know you are supposed to constantly mound dirt on them. I will be building another one as well to stack on top, as all of my potato plants are at least 30" tall now, lol.
Inca Heat

Back to top Go down

Post  Weedless_ 9/27/2010, 11:32 am

These look pretty good. The thing about permanent grid though, is if you plant something that takes more than a square, you have no way to temporarily remove the grid in that square.
I'd venture to guess that string will work better for those scenarios.
I used vinyl blind slats, cut them to the right length with regular kitchen scissors, and stapled them together into a grid with normal stapler. works like a charm, they are washable, look neat, easily moved when I need to add some mulch, and if I decide to plant a zucchini "bush", I'll just clip out the portion of the grid that I don't want, and before next planting, I'll replace the clipped slat with the new one at a fraction of a penny cost.
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 9/27/2010, 12:49 pm

I used a 1/4" thick corrugated white plastic material that is normally used for signs. I cut them into 3/4" wide strips and stapled them together. They work great. I replaced them last year. They rotted over the winter. This year I will put them in the garage.

If you go to a local sign company, you should be able to buy these for about $25 per 4x8 sheet (that's 48 1" strips). Ask them to do the cutting, they are easy to cut if you have a specialty knife.

Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down