Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Driving to Florida! Toplef10Driving to Florida! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Driving to Florida! I22gcj10Driving to Florida! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Driving to Florida! Toplef10Driving to Florida! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Driving to Florida! I22gcj10Driving to Florida! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Driving to Florida!

3 posters

Go down

Driving to Florida! Empty Driving to Florida!

Post  Blackrose 9/7/2010, 8:57 am

We're heading down to Florida to see Mickey Mouse on Friday. This will be my 2 DD's first visit to WDW and I am so excited to see their reaction. What I am worried about is the drive with a 1 yo and an almost 3 yo.

As such, as of this Friday I will be absent from the boards for a couple of weeks.

I do have a question to throw out there before I leave though. We'll be driving down the I-79->I-77->I-26->I-95 and I was thinking of stopping at a Lowes, Home Depot (or 2) on the way home to see if I could find any raised beds or maybe some Mel's Mix to bring home. I've done a search on the Lowes site for the MM at various Lowes locations, but they all say unavailable. Maybe it's too late in the season for them to carry it, I don't know. So, my question goes out to my fellow SFGers that live close to my route... Has anyone seen MM or raised beds for a good price in Lowes and/or HD lately? If so, can you send me the address of the store so I can check it out on the way home?

flower

Last edited by Blackrose on 9/7/2010, 9:03 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Put the wrong Interstate for my route)
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Driving to Florida! Empty Re: Driving to Florida!

Post  acara 9/7/2010, 10:39 am

Yes, as a matter of fact I have ..... kinda...

You won't find the Mel's mix down here in Central FL .... have to make your own.

The Verm in 4 cu bags is sparse also, but "the worms way" has it.... see Vermiculite DB on this forum (I wouldn't suggest trying to find that place without a GPS ...not in a good part of town).

Peat/Spaghnum are readily available in 2 cu, 3 cu & 3.8 cu bags

Compost is either Black Cow (HD or Lowe's), or a mushroom compost (at Lowe's) .... no other choices unless you go with the exotic (expensive) hydroponic additives (bat, monkey, seabird, earthworm, etc ...... Worms Way had two complete aisles dedicated to "poop" Rolling Eyes ).

As far as boxes ..... HD had them on clearance last week (as low as $27.00 for a 4 x 4... 8" high). However, they also have "stacking joints", where you use your own lumber and slide it in the joints to make boxes ..... might be a better deal. Lowe's had "square box planters with faux-log fronts ...but they looked kinda cheap/cheezy.

I would actually suggest that you stop in the HD's or Lowe's (or Tractor Supply Company, or "feed & seed" stores) that are in lower GA or upper FL. There isn't much agriculture base coming down I-95 ..... but if you head North from the WDW(Orlando area, you hit the agricultural part of the state.

If I had to guess ..... any HD, Lowe's or Feed & Seed/Hardware store from just above Orlando to all the way to Gainsville along US 27/441, 301 or I-75 would have a better selection of what your looking for.

Drop me a PM with yr contact info & I'll try to help out where I can (if it's over a weekend)

acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/7/2010, 12:01 pm

I haven't seen any, but I'll look. Best wishes with your trip, keep safe and have a wonderful time!

Question: Would there be an issue transporting soil past international borders? I'd hate for you to score some MM only to have to leave it at the border....
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Blackrose 9/7/2010, 10:43 pm

acara wrote:As far as boxes ..... HD had them on clearance last week (as low as $27.00 for a 4 x 4... 8" high). However, they also have "stacking joints", where you use your own lumber and slide it in the joints to make boxes ..... might be a better deal. Lowe's had "square box planters with faux-log fronts ...but they looked kinda cheap/cheezy.

The stacking joints sound like a great idea! I will have to check those out. I saw the one with the faux-log fronts on the Lowes website. I was wondering about them as they look kind of nice on the site. I can get compost up my way and have made my own MM for my existing box. I was just thinking it would be nice to get the pre-made MM to see if it makes a difference. Thank you for all the tips!

Megan wrote:Question: Would there be an issue transporting soil past international borders? I'd hate for you to score some MM only to have to leave it at the border....

I never even thought about that. I'll definitely check into it though Megan. Thank you!
Blackrose
Blackrose

Female Posts : 710

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down