Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What type of blender? - Page 2 Toplef10What type of blender? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What type of blender? - Page 2 I22gcj10What type of blender? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What type of blender? - Page 2 Toplef10What type of blender? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What type of blender? - Page 2 I22gcj10What type of blender? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What type of blender?

+15
new2this
Weedless_
kimbertangleknot
extremesoccermom
boffer
Megan
Retired Member 1
Wyldflower
silverbug
Weed 'em and Reap
LaFee
Lavender Debs
kiev123
dixie
Aussie Girl
19 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

What type of blender? - Page 2 Empty Re: What type of blender?

Post  Ha-v-v 8/14/2010, 9:43 am

Okay....newbie jumping in on this.....what is the difference between a blender and a food processor?

I get blenders - we have one of those.
But
why 'food processor'? How is it made differently? What does a FP do
that a blender doesn't? I have been thinking about getting a FP lately,
but not sure.

(sorry if this has already been explained here - I got lost in all the brand names; might have skipped some if this talk)

A blender usually only has one blade and is to blend things together. A food processor comes with many blades. You can shred cheese, make thin sliced potatoes things like that. I make mayo in mine actually, thats a little hard to do in a blender it needs more power to blend mayo. A good food processor I could make peanut butter as well. I dont know what brand mine is, but it serves my purpose.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 8/14/2010, 9:45 am

A food processor has a much wider, cylindrical base, and has multiple attachments. The attachment analogous to the blender would be the chopper blade, but a food processor can also slice and grate.

I rarely pull out the food processor for slicing or grating, but for large amounts of food to be processed (hence the name, I guess! Smile ) the automation is great. I mostly use mine with the chopping blade for bread doughs, pesto, hummus, mayo, etc.

If I had to puree a soup, I would pick a blender first by preference. (A food processor can do it, too, but not quite as well.) My blender is ancient, so I only haul it out for soups.

The other thing about a blender is that it has a tall chamber and a lid with a hole at the top that can be pulled and covered with a cloth for safely blending hot liquids. Hot liquids
expand when being blended, so the height is a good thing. A food processor's bowl is wider but more shallow, and you need to be MUCH more cautious when working with hot liquids, as they splatter much more readily and can get out between the join between the bowl and lid and burn you. I speak from experience on that one.

A food processor can also chop meat into burger. That would not work with a blender. Given the high price of ground beef I am trying to grind my own these days, when I remember.

It all comes down to what you are trying to do, and that is different for everyone! Smile
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MarcyG 8/14/2010, 11:00 am

I have a Blendtec and absolutely Love it. This past week I finally figured out what to do with all my extra cucumbers. I Juiced them in the Blendtec and poured the juice into ice cube trays and froze them. So now i've been throwing a cube in my water or when I make smoothies I throw a couple cubes in. it seems to have worked really well.
MarcyG
MarcyG

Back to top Go down

Post  Youngatheart 8/14/2010, 5:02 pm

MarcyG wrote:I have a Blendtec and absolutely Love it. This past week I finally figured out what to do with all my extra cucumbers. I Juiced them in the Blendtec and poured the juice into ice cube trays and froze them. So now i've been throwing a cube in my water or when I make smoothies I throw a couple cubes in. it seems to have worked really well.

I have a Blendtec also that I love...and I, too, use it for making smoothies as well as a hundred other things. I'll have to try using it for cucumbers that way...good idea!

I actually found out about square foot gardening (Mels book was recommended) on the site where I bought my blender (the green smoothie girl). The Blendtec is higher priced than most, but is very powerful and easily does everything I need/want it to...I use it every day.

A bonus is that the container is super easy to clean so I never put mine in the dish washer. Immediately after using it I just add some hot water and a drop or two of dawn and pulse a couple of times and then rinse and it's clean! Another nice thing is that the bottom of the container is wide so it's really easy to scoop out thicker foods (unlike all my other blenders over the years). Also, the blades are not sharp at all so I never have to worry about cutting myself. Can you tell I love my Blendtec?! I use it more than all my other kitchen appliances/gadgets put together!

Rhonda
Youngatheart

Female Posts : 35

Back to top Go down

Post  Shoda 8/14/2010, 11:23 pm

Thanks for the Ninja recommendations! We have been struggling with only a Magic bullet and that died last week. So after reading about the Ninja, I watched some YouTubes and was very impressed with the three blades of the new Pro model.

We made Gazpacho tonight and it was wonderful. It seems very sturdy and I think it will be great. The base is wide, the unit attractive. It was $59 and then we had a 20% off coupon. Next... an icee! I want to make snow like on YouTube!
Shoda
Shoda

Female Posts : 439

http://www.buzztools.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2