Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What type of blender? Toplef10What type of blender? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What type of blender? I22gcj10What type of blender? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What type of blender? Toplef10What type of blender? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What type of blender? I22gcj10What type of blender? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What type of blender?

+15
new2this
Weedless_
kimbertangleknot
extremesoccermom
boffer
Megan
Retired Member 1
Wyldflower
silverbug
Weed 'em and Reap
LaFee
Lavender Debs
kiev123
dixie
Aussie Girl
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

What type of blender? Empty What type of blender?

Post  Aussie Girl 7/5/2010, 11:05 pm

Hi Everyone.

I've been reading all your wonderful recepies and besides from making me very hungry, I've realised that I don't own a blender or food processor.

I would really like to get one to help keep me motivated in the kitchen. So I was wondering what type does everyone recommend?

Should I get a hand held wand type that clicks into the container? What about those 'magic bullets'? Does anyone have one & are they any good? Are there any other types?

I don't want anything too big & bulky & it definatley has to be dishwasher safe.

Any ideas? What type of blender? 601593

Thanks in advance.
Aussie Girl
Aussie Girl

Female Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

What type of blender? Empty Re: What type of blender?

Post  dixie 7/5/2010, 11:38 pm

I've not had experience with the other types but they may not be powerful enough to chop fresh veggies. Maybe someone else will comment on that. I don't have anything fancy, just a low to mid-priced Oster from Walmart, but there are other good brands on the market. I always get one that has the blender base that is sized for a quart canning jar, easy to chop & store. Be sure to get one with Pulse.
dixie
dixie

Female Posts : 814

http://www.dixiedazzle.net

Back to top Go down

What type of blender? Empty i own magic bullet. but i would get tribest

Post  kiev123 7/6/2010, 12:20 am

Tribest http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&qscrl=1&q=blender+with+canning+jar+attachment&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=VK4yTMyIHsWBlAeh1OXACw&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCoQrQQwAA - I would get this one if I had to purchase a small blender again. I own a magic bullet and its nice, but the negatives are the bpa plastic containers and it's showing signs of use after 2 years. I had to replace the blades 1 time already (paid shipping costs)

I like it that you can blend right inside a mason jar and take it / store it.[url][/url]
kiev123

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Girl 7/6/2010, 12:37 am

Thanks Kiev for the link, that is a great idea. And thanks for the feedback on the bullet too.

As Dixie said, I'm not sure if it would be powerful enough either.

I've saved your link while I keep on researching.
Aussie Girl
Aussie Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/6/2010, 12:52 am

I have more toys ....errrr, tools then you can shake a stick at.

I LOVE my big bulky food processor.... but you specified that you do not want big and bulky.
You need to know what it is that you want your tool to do.

Stick Blender: terrific for pureeing hot soup in the pan. If you have ever poured hot soup into a table top blender or food mill and tried to get it back to the soup pot, keeping it hot without burning yourself or having an explosive spill, then you will probably find the stick blender to be a bargain. Mine came with a balloon whip attachment that makes whipped cream or egg whites in just about a minute or so. There is also a mini blender/food processor attachment. You can carry the jar to the herb garden, add salt, pepper, oil, vinegar and mustard or whatever and have a dressing or sauce at the last minute.

The down side is clean-up UNLESS you have a dishwasher. They come out sparkly clean from the dishwasher but are a pain to hand wash. Large leafy herbs can be stubborn about blending down. Sometimes the blender head takes a little convincing to really do a good job.

Magic Bullet: I just recently got one of these, because I did not want to get two coffee grinders so that I would have one for coffee and one for herbs. It comes clean in the dishwasher, but the coffee grinder shouldn't be washed at all. The bullet makes nice coffee grounds. I've tried it for guacamole, for muffins and for smoothies. It is ok but not great. It doesn't mix as well as a blender. Even if a traditional blender doesn't do a good job, you can pop the top and run a spatula through it. You have to take the jar apart on the bullet, getting guck running where you don't want it, put it back together, try again. Still, the bullet is fun to use. Mine is new so I don't know how long it is going to last.

If I had to choose just one of these I would choose the stick blender. Nothing beats having knife skills and a good knife.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 7/6/2010, 1:52 am

I have a stick blender, too -- but you can't wash mine in the dishwasher -- as the stick doesn't detach from the motor. I use mine to make spaghetti sauce smooth -- it goes further and it makes nicer lasagna that way! Soups and stews....and mashed potatoes. I also use it to puree roasted pumpkin for pies -- canned pumpkin doesn't exist here.

My blender (Oster, but I don't think that brand exists in Oz!) came with both the traditional blender jar AND a small food processor attachment. I don't use the blender often, but the processor part is just about the right size to make a quick batch of salsa, and I *do * use it regularly.

I had a huge Cuisinart food processor, but got rid of it before we emigrated because I just never used it -- and on the rare occasion I did, I dreaded the cleanup -- the silly thing weighed 7-8 kg, and was a complete beast to move and wash.

The stick blender and traditional blender both made the cut, and I run them off of a transformer.

The one I wouldn't ever do without? My huge Kitchenaid stand mixer.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1023

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/6/2010, 9:17 am

LaFee wrote:...The one I wouldn't ever do without? My huge Kitchenaid stand mixer.

Was that one in the running? Yes it is a must have! We had a little boy who lived with us for a couple of years. He renamed mine. Now we call it "the big blue cookie machine"
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 7/6/2010, 11:34 am

I recommend the Ninja.
It has two sets of blades at different levels, so it mixes, blends, and chops better.
It comes with two sizes of containers.
It is all dishwasher safe except the motor and the blades (?).
The blades, come to think of it, might actually be dishwasher safe, too, but we always hand wash them because they are super sharp.
The motor is on the top, and it has a washable splash guard thingy, so the motor never gets dirty.
This is the easiest-to-clean blender I've ever owned.
I really like it.
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 7/6/2010, 11:52 am

Personally, while a blender can do some of what a food processor can, I find that the emmersion blender, stand blender and food processor are all different tools, and use all three of mine all the time. I only use my blender to do smoothies, or malts, or beverages...my food processor does all the work horse work of pureeing, slicing bulk items, shredding, etc...the emmersion blender is a dream for small batches of sauces, dressings, doing the hot sauces and soups right in the pan. I made all my daughter's baby food fresh with my emmersion blender. I absolutely LOVE it. I don't have too much difficulting cleaning the blades by hand. I've been scared to put it in the dishwasher. Anyway, I don't really have recommendations, other than letting you know that if you get serious about cooking, you'll find that one item really doesn't do everything...at least not that I'm aware of. A blender is good, as it CAN serve some of the same uses as a food processor, so, I suppose if you only want one thing, and don't want a "bulky" processor that would be the way to go. Mine is some Hamilton Beach thing, older than dirt, and works GREAT. I also am operating with a 30 year old Cuisinart processor.

Good luck deciding.
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 7/6/2010, 12:07 pm

I'm using an Oster Blender/Processor combo - it's not the most powerful food processor, but it serves my needs. Basically, it is one base, and you switch between the blender jar and the processor bowl.

Here's one that is similar to mine.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 7/6/2010, 12:49 pm

This is the one I have:

http://tinyurl.com/beehiveblender

It came with the small (2 cup) food processor, a metal milkshake cup with a milkshake attachment, a glass pitcher with a standard blender blade, and two mason-jar-shaped jars in which to make salad dressings and such (which I've never used...).

It makes milkshakes worthy of a drive-in.

And I've never, ever managed to jam it, no matter what I've put in it. It's held up like a real trooper no matter what I make with it (and I get raves for my fresh salsa)

(and yes, Debs, the Kitchenaid got a friend in the move -- a big, heavy-duty transformer that allows me to use it here - Europe uses 220v electricity, as compared to the 110v in the US) They sell Kitchenaid here, but not the 600w Professional one hubby gave me for Christmas, and they're twice the price here, too.

Biggest thing with a full-sized food processor is the putzing-around time. I found that by the time I wrestle the thing out from under the cabinet, put it together, use it, take it apart, swear a blue streak because I cut myself on the stupid blade, wash it, and wrestle it back into its home, I can do the job three times over with a well-sharpened knife without shedding any blood. (Yes, I tried food processor bread and hated it.)
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  Retired Member 1 7/6/2010, 5:41 pm

I have a VitaMixer, which is very large (but also very powerful). But for a moderate priced blender, you really can't go wrong with the Oster like McFee has, and I think all of them will fit mason jars, so it can be used like a magic bullet.

As someone here mentioned, the stick blender is used for a different purpose than a regular blender.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/6/2010, 5:50 pm

I have a Cuisinart version of a bullet, though I think it may be smaller than the bullet. I like it, but it is not good for processing large amounts of food. If you want to dice up garlic fast, make bread crumbs or a small amount of pesto, it's fine. The cover and the blade are machine washable, but the part of the case attached to the motor (which is also exposed to the food) has to be hand washed carefully.

I love my regular Cuisinart, but honestly the thing I use it the most often for is pizza dough. (I would not use it for other types of bread, though.) I'm with Debs in that I am much more likely to reach for a knife for most tasks.

My blender is ancient (it belonged to my grandmother), about the only thing I use it for is to make batter for popovers or puree the occasional soup.

Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  silverbug 7/6/2010, 5:53 pm

I completely agree that day to day stuff, a knife from the block is the way to go. I don't find the processor to be much to set up, but clean up IS a drag. I find cleaning my blender to be as much of a drag. The only thing I don't mind washing is the emmersion blender (stick as folks here have been calling it).
silverbug

Female Posts : 185

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/6/2010, 6:01 pm

I don't really understand the difference? I have never minded cleaning up my processor. You swoosh it out with water (same as a bowl), put the sharp blade in the dishwasher (same as a knife), put the bowl and cover in the dishwasher (pretty much the same as a bowl).

Yes, some knives need to be handwashed. I have always put the Cuisinart blade in the top rack of the dishwasher. It holds still there and I can grab the stem without hurting myself.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower 7/6/2010, 6:39 pm

ummmm ..... not all of us have dishwashers. I am always a little apprehensive with those sharp curvy blades.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/6/2010, 7:04 pm

What type of blender? Zzquot10What type of blender? Zzquot11Wyldflower wrote:
ummmm ..... not all of us have dishwashers....

I'm with you...
I've used a dishwasher exactly one time in my life...
and have the clean hands to prove it!

Last edited by boffer on 7/6/2010, 7:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/6/2010, 7:09 pm

Wyldflower wrote:ummmm ..... not all of us have dishwashers. I am always a little apprehensive with those sharp curvy blades.

Fair enough! I did handwash my Cuisinart blade for a year or so because I was worried about keeping it sharp. Then I decided to heck with it because I got lazy. But even when handwashing, it didn't bother me. I have hurt myself far worse (and far more often!) with knives than I ever did with a Cuisinart blade. (That and graters. I think I've hurt myself on the Cuisinart graters more than the chopping blade.)

What works for me is careful blade handing:

First, (I know I don't need to say it, but I will anyway) never drop that blade into a soapy dishpan and then blindly go fishing for it. That is a recipe for disaster.

If the blade is really sticky you can put it in a small plastic food storage container with some water and dish soap, put the lid on, shake it really well, and then pop the cover's corner and let it drain out. Repeat if necessary to get the worst off.

Then, figure out what grip works best for you. I always put the index finger of my non-dominant hand into the hole of the blade, then use my other fingers pressed against the flat of the blade to keep it steady. My pinky finger is curled up against the back of the blade to prevent it rotating back into the side of my forefinger. Everyone's hands are different so my grip may not be right for you... just figure out what works so you have a firm grip where that blade isn't going anywhere.

What type of blender? Photo-765099

What type of blender? Photo%202-766142

From there you can use a rag or sponge, scrub away and get it clean with little worry.

Hope this helps.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 7/6/2010, 10:05 pm

Weed 'em and Reap wrote:I recommend the Ninja.
It has two sets of blades at different levels, so it mixes, blends, and chops better.
It comes with two sizes of containers.
It is all dishwasher safe except the motor and the blades (?).
The blades, come to think of it, might actually be dishwasher safe, too, but we always hand wash them because they are super sharp.
The motor is on the top, and it has a washable splash guard thingy, so the motor never gets dirty.
This is the easiest-to-clean blender I've ever owned.
I really like it.
I also highly recommend the Ninja. The one Weed 'em and Reap is talking about is at Bed, Bath and Beyond Reg 49.99 on sale currently for 39.99 but we bought the newer model from Sam's Club. The pitcher now has 3 blades and it comes with 3 little chop and serve containers w/ lids and 2 blades for $49.99.
My family loves milk shakes and fruit smoothies the Oster I received as a wedding gift made it difficult to chop ice or get a smooth thick shake. The Ninja works great and salsa is a snap.
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 7/7/2010, 2:40 am

I've always had a dishwasher, but even a full-sized American dishwasher wasn't big enough to hold the bowl and the feed attachment for the big Cuisinart processor I had (it was the MONSTER version; I'd bought it for an excellent price on sale at Macy's) -- so the entire thing had to be washed by hand.

And it was really, really heavy -- like more than 10 pounds heavy. I've never, ever (and will never, ever) have enough real estate on my countertops to store all my toys, so they end up being stored in closets and cupboards.

I really, truly used it once or twice a year -- and that's just not enough to justify the cabinet space, so I got rid of it for a song at one of the enormous garage sales we had...and in two years, I have yet to have the first thought of wishing I had another one. (and I didn't cut myself every time I used it...there was some poetic license on that item -- but the hauling out and taking apart and washing was all true!)

If someone else's experience with them is good -- that's why they sell both food processors and good chef's knives (which I spend a fortune on because I use them all the time).
LaFee

Back to top Go down

Post  kimbertangleknot 7/7/2010, 12:30 pm

When I first moved to the south I didn't own any real kitchen equipment because the hubby lived on McDonald's, mac-n-cheese, and other people's houses for food. So when I moved in, I started small because I honestly didn't know what I needed, and whose needs needed filling either.

I started out with a mini food processor from Wal-Mart. It was maybe $10-$20 at the time. It worked great for a year until it out grew my needs. I then upgraded to your typical sized food processor, they work great, come with different blades and make quick work of full sized items. The down side is the size, they are quite bulky, and unless you need a full sized one and have a place to store it, it might just be better getting a smaller one.

We too own a magic bullet, and it has been used daily for the past few months. It's been used to make frozen drinks out of 100% frozen fruit, so it's gotten a lot of wear and tear, and because of this we have finally invested in a blender which works a lot better. Blender are bulky as well but you still can't beat the face that they do their job extremely well if you buy the right one. I wouldn't recommend the Magic Bullet for extreme use. It's basically almost all plastic and will wear down quickly.

I also have a great "stick" blender that I got at Wal-Mart that has the neck that comes off and it comes with other gizzmo's to put on. It has the blade, whisk, and one other thing I'm forgetting because I don't use it. I find it's better for sauces in pots and tall glasses, so I don't use it that often.

We were looking at the Ninja that was mentioned, and I decided not to let the hubby get it. After reading many reviews, I wasn't impressed with the motor. It's plastic and wears out quickly (depending on usage) and my husband doesn't always pay attention to making sure everything is lined up right away, which can help speed the process along.

I would have to say that my biggest advice to you is start small and work from there. You may find that your needs aren't as big as you think they are and can get by with smaller things. If you do need to upgrade, my only other advice is stay away from the Black and Decker big food processors (I've gone through two, they are not of good quality and are LOUD) and always look for blenders with metal motors (if it doesn't list it as having one, assume it's plastic). Metal will last a lot longer than the plastic and is more forgiving for wear and tear.

Hope that helps.
kimbertangleknot
kimbertangleknot

Female Posts : 274

http://www.moonflyart.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Weedless_ 7/7/2010, 1:04 pm

I have had Cuisinart food processor (small one) for over 10 years now, and have no complaints - it's still sharp and does the job well. I am sure there are better versions, but as far as durability is concerned, I am a witness.

As far as blender is concerned, if you are planning on making smoothies, margaritas, ice cream and soups, nothing beats Total Blender from BlendTec (see their youtube videos for fun), we bought one back in October, and used it at least once a day EVERY DAY. They are pricey, but you get what you pay for. All blenders we had before eventually broke with a smoke (literally), and they are all a pain in a butt to clean, and to make them actually do what the are supposed to.

I am against Magic Bullets. They tend to break within a short period of time.
Weedless_
Weedless_

Female Posts : 233

http://www.eatalready.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Aussie Girl 7/11/2010, 6:26 pm

Wow! Thanks everyone for the feedback, you have all had some great tips.

I do think the magic bullet will probably be to small in the long run & just end up taking up valuable cupboard space.

I found this Cuisinart duet blender/food processor that I think might be ok.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004WKI7/ref=pe_75950_16265030_pe_epc_d3

They have a deal going with the stick blender & attachments for $125.
Aussie Girl
Aussie Girl

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/11/2010, 7:19 pm

Weedless_in_Atlanta wrote:.... nothing beats Total Blender from BlendTec (see their youtube videos for fun)....

Tim Allen would be proud. When my blender dies, that's what I'm getting!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  new2this 8/14/2010, 9:39 am

Okay....newbie jumping in on this.....what is the difference between a blender and a food processor?

I get blenders - we have one of those.
But why 'food processor'? How is it made differently? What does a FP do that a blender doesn't? I have been thinking about getting a FP lately, but not sure.

(sorry if this has already been explained here - I got lost in all the brand names; might have skipped some if this talk)
new2this

Female Posts : 215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum