Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG GARDEN FAILURE Toplef10SFG GARDEN FAILURE 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG GARDEN FAILURE I22gcj10SFG GARDEN FAILURE 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
SFG GARDEN FAILURE Toplef10SFG GARDEN FAILURE 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

SFG GARDEN FAILURE I22gcj10SFG GARDEN FAILURE 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Today at 3:36 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 3:16 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Today at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Today at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm Yesterday at 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

SFG GARDEN FAILURE

+3
Scorpio Rising
danieggert
markqz
7 posters

Go down

SFG GARDEN FAILURE Empty SFG GARDEN FAILURE

Post  danieggert 6/18/2023, 8:45 am

Help,

I am in the Chicagoland area, zone 5

Did I do something wrong?  I have not posted for a month. I have been busy with the garden and yard.

I thought I did everything PERFECT and by the book mixing up my MM. I bought all of the right ingredients, mixed in small batches to make sure it was really mixed up. I have about 10" of MM in the bed.   Put in my beds and waited for warmer weather.  I even invested in a Dripworks drip water system

I admit that my seed starting in the house was less than awesome, but I did get a few tomato and peppers to sprout.  I then bought starters from the local stores.  I planted a month ago and thing are SO slow growing.  My seed tomato's have barely grown, maybe 1/2".  Even the store bought starters are doing little in the way of growth.

What should I do?  Can I fertilize or shall I just wait?

This was so expensive to set up, there has to be a fix for me.

Thanks for any advice

Dani from Burr Ridge
danieggert
danieggert

Female Posts : 54

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

SFG GARDEN FAILURE Empty Re: SFG GARDEN FAILURE

Post  markqz 6/18/2023, 10:02 am

Yipes. That sounds pretty tragic. Do you have some pictures of your set-up?

Also, I'm wondering what your weather has been like. In May, my county had the honor of being the cloudiest county in the country. My plants grew very slowly. I tend to think of Chicago as having overcast, so just wondering. The second thing that comes to mind is, did you use any bagged manure? Unfortunately, the manure supply across the country appears to have been tainted with grazon.

Well, I'm sure someone with good ideas will be along to help shortly.

markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

SFG GARDEN FAILURE Empty bAGGED MANURE

Post  danieggert 6/18/2023, 11:14 am

Yes, i did use bagged compost and manure, but the manure was only one of the four that I could find.  Also, that was the only manure available that was not still "hot"  Also, I sifted all of the compost and peat through a 1/4" screen and it was beautiful.  No twigs, no rocks, just soft 'dirt-like' stuff.

Dani From Burr Ridge
danieggert
danieggert

Female Posts : 54

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and SLM like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/18/2023, 12:57 pm

Hello, so sorry to hear this.  Perhaps there’s an issue with the MM itself, or weather.  We had no rain here—Zero—for almost a month.  No growth was happening.  Water from a hose isn’t rain.  

Sometimes the compost is lots of peat, and you will end up with a peat-rich, nitrogen poor mixture.  Can you look at the ingredients of the manure you used?  You may need to add some stuff to your mix to make it come closer to MM.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/18/2023, 1:39 pm

danieggert wrote:Did I do something wrong? 

No, you probably did not do anything wrong.  Probably just a case of, "I fought nature, and nature won..."

Many gardeners find the first year to be very challenging and less than optimal results.  When a new bed is established with Mel's Mix it can often take up to a year for the soil food web to develop enough for the microbes to break down all of the organic matter that was added and make plant available nutrients.  For example, if some of the compost used was not fully matured at the time the MM was made it will continue its composting process after it is added to the bed. During this time, the composting process will "steal" nitrogen from surrounding soil to facilitate the composting process. When this happens, the plants in that soil suffer due to the lack of nitrogen.  To make matters worse, seedling plants that were purchased from nurseries or big box stores were fed regular diets of nitrogen-rich fertilizers to make them grow fast and look good for the prospective buyers. When they are taken home and planted into the garden they are suddenly starved of that nitrogen.

Meanwhile, back to the solution.  From your description is appears that your plants are missing plant available nutrients, including nitrogen. You will probably see a boost in growth if you add some blood meal to their diet.  Dig a hole next to the plant, but not against the plant root ball, throw a handful of Blood Meal into it, and cover it up. Then water the area to "liquefy" the blood meal. The microbes will go to work on it, and the plants will thank you.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Encap-Sta-Green-All-purpose-Food-14-0-0/1001447210

As your MM matures in the beds, you will see dramatic improvement in plant growth and production. Then, no additives will be needed.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4534

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Scorpio Rising, markqz and SLM like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 6/18/2023, 3:23 pm

OhioGardener wrote:Many gardeners find the first year to be very challenging and less than optimal results. 
My first year garden practically exploded into life. So It's the subsequent years that have given me trouble. I might try the blood meal on my SFG#1.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Scorpio Rising and SLM like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/18/2023, 5:42 pm

I am a big blood and bone proponent.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8728

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/19/2023, 1:22 pm

Dani, There is a good chance the weather has played a role in slow growth. Paraphrasing OG, Nature usual wins. I have heard the same complaint in California and southern states (Zone 9) that their plants are just sitting there. This from both SFG gardeners and row gardeners.

I hate to see you use any fertilizer at this point. Blood meal is an organic source of nitrogen, but it can also lead to "all green and very few fruits". Looking at the day and night temps of IL it looks like you have some good weather ahead. No rain until possibly this weekend. Wait another week or 2 and see how the plants look. As the MM warms up, the microbes will become more active breaking down the compost into nutrients. (I'm assuming you haven't put on mulch at this point and that all of the MM is moist throughout the bed.)

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Scorpio Rising and SLM like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  lisawallace88 6/23/2023, 8:05 am

Another thing to remember is that tomatoes and peppers love the hot steamy days and nights of summer.  I grew up in northern IL and I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't see a lot of growth until July or so, but then watch out!  I also second the "no fertilizer for now" advice given above...hang in there and if you still don't see growth in the next 3 weeks or so, then consider other measures.  Rarely does a wait-and-see approach hurt anything!
lisawallace88
lisawallace88

sanderson and SLM like this post

Back to top Go down

SFG GARDEN FAILURE Empty Anticipation....

Post  Cmonster90 6/23/2023, 4:58 pm

So glad to hear you are following the method as prescribed "by the book." This helps to eliminate a lot of factors and narrow in on what is causing you some trouble.  

Be sure to avoid hose water if you can as it will set plants back. Please share some photos. I would love to see pictures of what you are growing. Photos will help in evaluating your situation. 

Love on your plant babies and let them do their own thing. They just might suddenly surprise you. Fertilizer is junk food. You might get the satisfaction of a sudden burst of leafy green growth, but over time fertilized plants can under perform compared to their non-fertilized siblings. 

Don't give up hope. Happy gardening!

Last edited by OhioGardener on 6/23/2023, 5:29 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Removed non-SFG video experiment.)
Cmonster90

SLM likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 6/24/2023, 8:08 am

Cmonster90 wrote:Be sure to avoid hose water if you can as it will set plants back.

Most interesting comment, not sure how that will set plants back. Can you provide more facts to support that?

For years I have used a hose between the water faucet and the timer that controls the drip irrigation on the raised bed. The only water that the plants get other than the occasional rain goes through that hose. Haven't ever seen the plants being set back.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4534

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

sanderson and lisawallace88 like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/25/2023, 3:49 am

Hose water is what many people have available.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down