Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself Toplef10My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself I22gcj10My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself Toplef10My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself I22gcj10My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself

5 posters

Go down

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself Empty My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself

Post  danieggert Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:39 pm

Hi All,

I have finished making my MM and placed in my raised gardens.  Ready to go in May.

I have set up my rack with lights to start my seeds.  Want to start tomorrow.

But..... My brain is so mixed up with different advice, I have forgotten which route I wish to follow.  I find it difficult to go back and find a specific response to a previous post.   What's worse, I found out that Facebook had their own SFG site.  I like this forum better than Facebook but still admit to looking there.  I tried to copy and paste each response I wanted, but that just did not work.

I have all of these items available to me.
The only ones I have purchased are cow pots, heat pad and Burpee  starting mix.  Everything else I had on hand or from previous years

solo cups
Jiffy peat pellets (won't use)
peat pots
cow pots
Soil block maker (son made it for me on 3D printer)
Clear covers from whatever I could save
1020 tray ( I think that is what is is called)

I have spent about $30 on seeds (my bad)

What I want to do, is sow the seeds into something with a growing medium, and then transfer to the actual garden when the time was right.  I was going to start on a plastic bag with a wet paper towel but read several posts that starting in the growing medium is just as easy.  So that is what I want to do.

Again, I am reading different info on lighting.  What I think I remember is:

No lights are necessary until the seed germinates
Clear Plastic covers come off after germination
As soon as germination, lights go on for about 15 hours a day
Plants should be about 2" from lights
Keep moist but not soggy

Seeds are going in tomorrow, hopefully

The cow pots seem like a good idea but they are a one time only use.

The 'soil block maker' also seems like  a good idea but I have not been able to find anyone who has used it to get advice except for one nice gentleman on this forum,  It would seem that I need to learn how to effectively do this.  It was a pretty messy job this morning.

Simple basic answer/advice to accomplish the above
danieggert
danieggert

Female Posts : 54

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself Empty Re: My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself

Post  OhioGardener Sat Apr 01, 2023 3:54 pm

danieggert wrote:No lights are necessary until the seed germinates

Depends on the seed variety.  Some vegetable seeds, typically the very small one, require light to germinate.  Lettuce is one example, if the seeds are buried so deep that they do not see light they will not germinate.  Other seeds that need to be very close to the surface for good germination are broccoli, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, Chinese cabbage, collards, cucumbers, eggplants, kale, kohlrabi, leeks, melons, peppers, squashes, and tomatoes.  These seeds can germinate in light if surrounded by moist soil or they can be lightly covered with soil.  And, of course there are always exceptions -- I had many a winter squash seed buried somewhere in the compost pile that have sprouted and grown profusely.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself Empty Re: My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself

Post  sanderson Sat Apr 01, 2023 9:51 pm

[quote="danieggert" What's worse, I found out that Facebook had their own SFG site.  I like this forum better than Facebook but still admit to looking there. [/quote]The only official FB page is the long one: "Square Foot Gardening based on founder and creator Mel Bartholomew's Method" .  I'm a mod on that site. [/quote]   

I have all of these items available to me.

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 solo cups
Jiffy peat pellets (won't use)
peat pots
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 cow pots
Soil block maker (son made it for me on 3D printer)
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 Clear covers from whatever I could save
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 1020 tray ( I think that is what it is called)
You mentioned you wanted a one step method of seed cup to planting.

Cheap!

[quote]Again, I am reading different info on lighting.  What I think I remember is:

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 No lights are necessary until the seed germinates
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 Clear Plastic covers come off after germination
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 As soon as germination, lights go on for about 15 hours a day
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 Plants should be about 2" from lights
My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself 2705 Keep moist but not soggy[/qyote]

10-12 hours are plenty. To keep the seed moist, use a spray bottle. Once they have sprouted, water from the bottom of the tray.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

My Own Fault, but haven completely confused myself Empty Seed storage for the win!

Post  markqz Wed Apr 05, 2023 2:40 pm

Nothing bad there for someone starting up. They only sell seeds by the packet, so even if you only need 4 seeds you're still going to pay $2 ~ $5. Be sure to check out the seed storage techniques Mel outlines in All New Square Foot Gardening (3rd ed.). That way you won't have to spend so much next season.
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:39 am

You are in the right place for sure…

First off you have gotten off fairly cheaply to start up your SFG.  It is pricey to begin.

Like Mark said, you will not need a lot of those seeds—need to figure out how to preserve them!

TAKE NOTES!!! Every year is a little different.  This is key.

I do sow seeds and give them a few days (5-ish) to germinate.  No light needed.  Then they get a spot on the heating pad for a few days!  

Then light, that might be the fluorescents. (I use cheap fluorescent bulbs but some swear by the LED versions…I may go to this someday..)

I hope to see you on our regional post!

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum